Shotgun Warm-up

raidertuba

without the 5th in the G6 chord...is it actually Em, 1st inversion? I havent tried this on piano, so I am just asking as well.

I think Tom Santino is the first to use this progression if my information is correct.

All this stuff makes my head hurt. Only have one question..........I still blow into the small end....right?

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

without the 5th in the G6 chord...is it actually Em, 1st inversion?

An ambiguous chord should correctly be named according to its function in the progression. Here's a fairly common example: G G+ G6 G7 C The third change is not functioning as a six chord.

Usually, but not always, a 13th chord will have the 7th inside.

There are times when you might name the same chord by different symbols. i.e. A7-9 for the piano guy, C# dim for the guitar because that's the rootless chord form he's using, and A7 for the jazz soloist who is trying to play more notes than Coltrane and doesn't want to be bothered with the extensions.

No, this is not Theory 101. In most music schools, they are still teaching figured bass although it became outmoded over a century ago.

1.) I was a theory major. I know chords.

2.) Was trying to show in "layman's" terms.

3.) The G6 chord has been played with or without the 5th. It sounds good either way. I personally like it in there. Adds more color.

4.) Regardless of the key or instrumentation, the progression is the same.

Feel free to PM me if you would like a copy of this progression.

:rolleyes:

I'm not sure what that is, but it sure isn't shotgun.

Looking at the BD version right in front of me, in concert pitch it's Bb9 C6 Db Eb F.

I have heard this progression (with slightly different voicing) referred to as "Fat Andy", and it was used by Cadets around 2001, and Magic in 2002 (possibly other years as well) when Gino Cipriano was caption head there.

-Matt

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
I have heard this progression (with slightly different voicing) referred to as "Fat Andy", and it was used by Cadets around 2001, and Magic in 2002 (possibly other years as well) when Gino Cipriano was caption head there.

-Matt

Yeah, thats definately Fat Andy. The voicing sounds similar, if not the same too.

So, is Fat Andy a version of shotgun?