Shotgun Warm-up

raidertuba

A few pointers on using chord symbols:

The major third is implied. Use a lowercase m after the letter name to denote the minor third, or a sus to denote a 4th.

A 6 after this indicates the added sixth, the fifth is also played. A 13 indicates that the sixth replaces the fifth.

Next comes the seventh. Here the uppercase M indicates a major seventh. Without, it is the minor seventh.

Next are the extensions. The + and - signs are used to indicate modifications of the fifth and ninth.

aug can be used for the raised fifth. A diminished chord can be either a dim or a small circle.

There are some variations of this system, but they only confuse the issue. Some writers use a lowercase lettername to indicate a minor, but they are asking for trouble.

Write the above progression FM7 G6 Ab Bb C and you will have no problems. Unless they are the wrong chords.

Someone may have already corrected this, but the 6 would indicate the inversion. In this case 1st inversion.

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Someone may have already corrected this, but the 6 would indicate the inversion. In this case 1st inversion.

No sir. We're talking chord symbols. You're talking figured bass.

Yeah, thats definately Fat Andy. The voicing sounds similar, if not the same too.

So, is Fat Andy a version of shotgun?

So, is Fat Andy a version of Shotgun?

• 4 weeks later...

So, a question on this from a guy who's been limited to community orchestra for long enough that the chord progression I was most familiar with was still, in my head, referred to as "Cal Chords"....

Where does the name of this progression (Shotgun, that is) come from?

• 9 years later...
On 7/6/2008 at 8:37 PM, MoonHill said:

So, a question on this from a guy who's been limited to community orchestra for long enough that the chord progression I was most familiar with was still, in my head, referred to as "Cal Chords"....

Where does the name of this progression (Shotgun, that is) come from?

"Cal Chords" is the [band] term for a typical I-IV-V-I progression.

In drum corps we call it "C tuning" or [thumbs up] "F tuning" (depending- note that "C tuning" is actually I-i-IV-V-I)

Unless my historical basis is way off (and I've lived a good bit of it), "Space Chords" "Cal Chords" "Shotgun Sequence" et al. were developed by Jack Meehan* along with his hand-signaling system for chords, progressions, tuning, articulation, slurs, exercises, fingerings and dynamics (and a ton of other stuff). I have no idea why it's called that, other than it's normally played quickly and ends loudly, like a shotgun,

Long ago, (like at VFW shows) they'd fire a pistol off the starting line to signal the start timer and allow the corps a 30-second warmup. That's not much time, so the old process may have something to do with calling it "The Shotgun Sequence" .... (of course -- a pistol is not a shot gun)

meh.

Also I'm pretty sure it's C9-->D6-->Eb-->F-->G...err well that would be for G bugles using Bb Treble Clef. The concert structure would be G9-->A6-->Bb-->C-->D.

idk how this has been updated for Bb/F  horns but to keep the fingerings and partials in place it's probably Bb9-->C6-->Db--Eb-->F.

*phew* brain hurty!:unsure:

*the Godfather of West Coast hornline style and sound

Also here's a KISS-simple version for your "modern hornline" I even transposed for the F-horn. I left out the I9 and the II6 chord... I've heard many variations w/o out the weird "Hard Days Night" stuff in it and it sounds fine....cue major chord...go minor...ascend ....earie resolve and everything. I could post this to musescore, but I already have a free account and 2 spoof accounts, hence 15 arrangements! Not going to post five measures of noise but heres' a snap kiddos.... plz credit Tapper (me) if you use it, lots of changes, made it my own version all that s#!T .... you can steal just put my name on it, k?

shotgun-1.png

Edited by Tapper7
add shotgun sequence arrangement