Cymbal Lines

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Back when I was a snare drummer, I would always get in trouble for fooling around with the cymbals. They were like a toy that I just couldn't keep my hands off of! :thumbup:

Piper- Back when I played cymbals, I would always get in trouble for fooling around with drumsticks! Seems I "thought" I was a snare drummer. :thumbup:

Mmmm, not necessarily. It might just mean they are the line that gets the most attention and are the most popular. Style over substance, in other words. Not to say they were awful or anything, just sayin. A lot of people in the 90's might have told you that the Madison Scouts were the best drum corps every year, and they were indeed very good, extremely popular and entertaining. But I can think of some drum corps who were consistently just...better, from a performance quality standpoint. Does it make people who like Madison (or SCV's plate line) wrong for liking them? No. Again, just sayin.

Yes, thats fine in the situation and anecdote that you used it with, but this is not the case in this scenario. They are doing many things right, they aren't just popular because they get attention, they get attention because they're one of if not the best.

if i could just say that playing cymbals in our regimented world of performance can be extremely physically demanding....if youre doing it right just by nature...like all instruments, there is a certain "touch" or "finesse you apply as you would your embouchure, fulcrum, what have you. Your just carrying about 8 lbs in your hand while you do it.

i say, if you have the control and stamina of your body and can produce a great quality of sound by hitting, sliding and slamming 2 pieces of metal together and carry yourself with the utmost caliber of presence...use that technique if thats what you want 'em to look like. cause when it comes down to it...its about quality control. We can all imagine how difficult it is to make beautiful, gorgeous sounding music with abstract sounds.

i think cymbals are great! :thumbup:

fR

Edited by fRmuzik

Will they be doing the old school madison pistol grip and technique?

Thats a yes. From the pictures i've been seeing posted online pistol grip it is.

They are doing many things right, they aren't just popular because they get attention, they get attention because they're one of if not the best.

I will admit they really don't do anything wrong, they are really good.

But I don't believe they get all the attention b/c they are the best. Its just the whole image of scv cymbals.....kinda like the yankees

Again...i'm not saying they suck, but i don't see why other cymbal lines aren't getting as much attention as they should be.

Yes, thats fine in the situation and anecdote that you used it with, but this is not the case in this scenario. They are doing many things right, they aren't just popular because they get attention, they get attention because they're one of if not the best.

I never said they weren't doing many things right. I'm just saying I think there are and have been other cymbal lines that were technically better than SCV, but they will almost always take a backseat with the casual fan because they're SCV. The intensity, the way they are often highlighted in the show, flashy head-choppers and stuff that the band kids love. Hey, I love SCV and I love their cymbal line, don't get me wrong. I just think there have been other lines better than them that don't get the recognition they deserve.