sabre's outside?

dugg

Everyone is certainly entitled to have their own opinion and philosophy here. But you don't know my situation, so you shouldn't be so quick to malign my views. It just so happens that the program I'm with doesn't stress marching band all that much. We put more emphasis on our winter programs. The band director and all the staff (drums and guard) are on the same page there.

I also happen to be a middle school band teacher (at a different school), and it shocks me that someone would imply that concert band is training for marching band. I happen to think that concert band is where music education happens, and marching band is strictly an extra-curricular activity. But, as I said before, I don't know your situation.

Whatever floats your goat...

Shouldnt music education take place in all aspects of the program? It doesnt matter what the situation is...a high level of education should be taking place all year in every activity, extra-curricular or not.

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Shouldnt music education take place in all aspects of the program? It doesnt matter what the situation is...a high level of education should be taking place all year in every activity, extra-curricular or not.

Of course, but playing the same 8 minutes of music ad naseum for 4 months is not a particularly well-rounded or standards-based education in music.

Of course, but playing the same 8 minutes of music ad naseum for 4 months is not a particularly well-rounded or standards-based education in music.

Tell that to a professional orchestra.

Tell that to a professional orchestra.

Huh? First of all, professional orchestras aren't about music education. The performers are at the very top of their field and are their to perform, not receive an education. Secondly, Symphony Orchestras rarely rehearse a concert more than a week or two in advance. I would say that spending one week preparing for a 2 hour concert is the antithesis of spending 4 months preparing for an 8 minute performance.

I fear we may have gotten off topic...

what is meant by the term "lyrical sabre work"? :tongue:

why are sabres considered "lyrical"? :mat:

isn't a rifle,curve or flag capable of being lryical? :devil:

Edited by dugg

Huh? First of all, professional orchestras aren't about music education. The performers are at the very top of their field and are their to perform, not receive an education. Secondly, Symphony Orchestras rarely rehearse a concert more than a week or two in advance. I would say that spending one week preparing for a 2 hour concert is the antithesis of spending 4 months preparing for an 8 minute performance.

I fear we may have gotten off topic...

I fear you trying to education students of music.

But that's just my opinion.

what is meant by the term "lyrical sabre work"? :worthy:

why are sabres considered "lyrical"? :cool:

isn't a rifle,curve or flag capable of being lryical? :worthy:

they are more "dainty" and pretty.. but... flags can be too.... not quite so much rifles.. but.......... curves.. i guess they could be..... it's all in how u use it................ we all know that..

I have seen (and spun) some VERY lyrical rifle work... also written some. Some of the most goregous moments in a show can be created with rifles.

what is meant by the term "lyrical sabre work"? :tongue:

why are sabres considered "lyrical"? :worthy:

isn't a rifle,curve or flag capable of being lryical? :tongue:

I really wish some folks would let go of their attachments to tired clichés... My rake and shovel can be lyrical, and so can my neighbors evil cat when she wants to be. Heck, the beat up Honda out front with the schnazzy CNG sticker is a can of spray paint and a bottle of nail polish away from lyrical. You know, even punk band "Circle Takes the Square" is lyrical, even though their music makes my eyelashes hurt.

they are more "dainty" and pretty.. but... flags can be too.... not quite so much rifles.. but.......... curves.. i guess they could be..... it's all in how u use it................ we all know that..

Personally, I like watching shows with this sort of cliche... I guess it's a bit narrow-minded of me, but I feel like this has been something established for years and years and years. As they say, don't fix what ain't broke. :tongue: