Cleaning old flags

I am borrowing some old flags from another band director. They are great flags but a bit stinky. In fact, I think they were used when the band I am borrowing them from got them.

What is the best way to get these flags clean and decent-smelling without doing any damage to them?

Thanks for the help?

I have always found that the best way to clean flags is to hand wash them in a sink with a little woolite and then hang them up to dry. Do not wash or dry them in a machine or they will be ruined.

To get rid of stains: hand wash in cold water with Woolite. Or if you have one of those "hand washing machines" like they sell at Bed Bath & Beyond or Linens & Things. Hang to dry, and if needed, COLD IRON or iron on super low heat to remove wrinkles-- unless there's Lame', then don't use any heat.

If you just want to get rid of the smell, use Fabreeze.

Well, I might get slammed for this but I wash mine in the washing machine on the gentle (or delicate) cycle and then pop them into the dryer for like 5-10 minutes. They come out fresh, clean, smelling great and super soft!

Well, I might get slammed for this but I wash mine in the washing machine on the gentle (or delicate) cycle and then pop them into the dryer for like 5-10 minutes. They come out fresh, clean, smelling great and super soft!

What fabric softener do you use?

I usually just use my regular unscented fabric softener.. nothing special. I use ALL hypoallergenic detergent

I usually just use my regular unscented fabric softener.. nothing special. I use ALL hypoallergenic detergent

Do you have any problems with Lame or other metallic fabrics when you do this?

No problem with lame' or the sheer type fabrics (organza, sparkle sheer, chiffon). Just have to stand by the dryer and make sure they don't stay in there too long (10 minutes MAX). The biggest issue is static electricity, but a good shake and it goes away.

i do the same exact thing................ never had a problem.. just get the bad stains out first...