i have a grudge with the dcp forum staff

I'm sorry, I just don't see why that conversation needed to be mitigated like that. That, and the fact that the dumped other threads in there that were NOT related to the rule change, just to (IMO) get them out of the way. It just became a dumping ground for every thread that was causing any heated discussion on the board.

Not true. I'm the one who did it - I can vouch for me.

Mike

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Because narration and amps were apart of the 07 rules! You did read the rules, right?

And convenient?

I'm scrolling around, and I want to talk about the rule changes. Oh look, they created a special sub-forum just for that.

BTW, there is a difference between bickering, and intelligent discussion. One usually starts off intelligent on this forum, and goes into bickering.

I just read the proposals again, and I just don't see it there.

http://drumcorpswiki.com/DCI_Rules_Congress,_2007

Am I missing something? I'll be more than happy to eat crow on this one, but I don't see it. I just feel like it became real convenient to put all controversial discussion in that area. It's not how I would have wanted to see it handled. That's all I'm saying. Obviously we disagree on this.

And yes, there is a lot of bickering, but so what? Can't people take bickering anymore? Are we all that thin-skinned? There was intelligent discussion in those threads, too, a lot more than I've seen at other points on this board on other topics. Isn't bickering part of having a discussion?

We're bickering a bit right now. My feelings aren't hurt. Are yours? I'll be glad to apologize if they are.

I also have to agree with this post, for the most part.

All of the condescending crap about "If you don't like it, talk to us about it offline", along with the whole "terms of service" BS is just that ... BS. You try to talk to them offline and you get more BS.

This is a community, and the community members, not some autocratic bunch of martinets, should determine standards of behavior and what constitutes acceptable content.

I'm sorry you don't like the structure of this forum. DCP Partners, LLC (see the bottom of every single forum page) attempts to run this forum as is determined as best for the drum corps community as a whole.

I might redirect you to rec.arts.marching.drumcorps, where the conversation is practiced very much as you ask for above - the community members do have total control over standards of behavior and acceptable content. That's why usenet exists.

Mike

1 rule for getting rid of Amps

1 rule for getting rid of Narration.

my feeling aren't hurt. I'm not bickering. I'm pointing out simple fact.

Bickering chases off sponsors. guess why CE is gone?

case closed.

and as for the rules congress forum...Mike has been clear on that since the first time he did it. Even I could understand it.

i disagree, it isn't about customer service, its about the dci world class corps forum and how people interact there, and thats why i placed it there. i was hoping for an open discussion among the active posters in that forum, and i was declined, immediately, by an individual who has the privelage of closing a conversation, shunting it off to a corner, and who feels a question affecting a large group of people is more appropriately discussed privately in im's between individuals, an attitude i wholeheartedly disagree with.

We've been accused of this on numerous occasions, and I'll reply with the same answer - we have a forum specially created for these sorts of things. That's why it's there. You might put a thread about the Division 2/3 Finals in the World Class forum because it has more regular readers; that doesn't change the fact that it's not the right forum. We try to make sure everything's in a logical place for the DCP reader - that's all.

Mike

my original point is that i feel the forum staff are pretty heavy handed, and want to control conversation in here by killing topics or shunting them off to the side, and i don't think that this is a positive way to run the site. i placed it not in the basement comment jar where the same forum staffers want it, but out in front for everyone to see, because i wanted those who were most affected by the policy to have a chance to openly discuss it in the most accessible and easily viewed location. this was denied, and quickly.

Again, we have a specific forum for these sorts of discussions, and we move threads to the section they pertain to. No more, no less.

Mike

First off, why not look directly at DCI when trying to gather information?

Second, looking at 2007's rule congress isn't going to help your case when you are trying to bring up arguments about the 2008 congress.

I'm sorry you don't like the structure of this forum. DCP Partners, LLC (see the bottom of every single forum page) attempts to run this forum as is determined as best for the drum corps community as a whole.

I might redirect you to rec.arts.marching.drumcorps, where the conversation is practiced very much as you ask for above - the community members do have total control over standards of behavior and acceptable content. That's why usenet exists.

Mike

Actually, while a corporation may own and maintain this space, by usage it has created what legal folks call a "place of public accommodation" which, by the way, blows your whole thesis.

If you don't like my attitude, instead of telling me to go elsewhere, why don't YOU go post on RAMD ... As this kind of blowing smoke up people's orifices is what they live for there.

Further, I didn't say anything about forum structure ... I'm talking about the insanely arbitrary moderation of same.

Edited by DCIHasBeen