Pictures of Video of 1979 Boston Crusaders

79 was my age out year. The Crusaders that year fielded a 25 man hornline, debatably the most powerful cleanest 25 guys ever. I have the mp3 file of the DCI Prelim show. I am looking to see if anyone has video or other pictures. This corp motto was quality not quantity and we lived to it. We made every DCI finals show except the big one where one of our caption scores was down 2 pts lower then all year long, I believe it was drum exposure. all year it was 4 to 4.5 and in the finals was 2 or something like that.. made you wonder since we never changed a thing. I have so many fond memories of my years in Boston but that last year was truly memorable. If anyone saw us has any thoughts would like to hear and talk more

Dusty, 79 Bari

• Like 1

Here are the only ones I have (from the '79 finals show in Hamilton). There may be more in the "old corps photos" thread (go to the bottom of the thread and type Boston in the search field, and all the Boston Crusaders photos should turn up). Sorry about the grainy quality; bad camera, and it was dusk:

boston79hamilton01.jpeg

boston79hamilton02.jpeg

boston79hamilton03.jpeg

boston79hamilton04.jpeg

Here are the enhanced scans; take your pick as to which ones are better:

boston79hamiltonrefocus01.jpg

boston79hamiltonrefocus02.jpg

boston79hamiltonrefocus03.jpg

boston79hamiltonrefocus04.jpg

That 1979 Boston corps was one of the great stories of DCI's first 10 years. The term fearless comes to mind when I remember them toeing the line at Whitewater that July. I covered the contest for Drum Corps News that year.

The story circulating that summer was that Boston really didn't have much staff to speak of, but the members laid it out on the field every performance.

79 was my age out year. The Crusaders that year fielded a 25 man hornline, debatably the most powerful cleanest 25 guys ever. I have the mp3 file of the DCI Prelim show. I am looking to see if anyone has video or other pictures. This corp motto was quality not quantity and we lived to it. We made every DCI finals show except the big one where one of our caption scores was down 2 pts lower then all year long, I believe it was drum exposure. all year it was 4 to 4.5 and in the finals was 2 or something like that.. made you wonder since we never changed a thing. I have so many fond memories of my years in Boston but that last year was truly memorable. If anyone saw us has any thoughts would like to hear and talk more

Dusty, 79 Bari

Didn't you finish the year with 24 horns? We heard a horn member talked back to a staff member and was kicked off the bus somewhere in Canada. Of course, it could have been something started by one of our staff members. I remember, you guys were 2-3 points behind us most of the year. I never really got to see you guys. I might get to see you coming off the field, but never saw the show. I just kept thinking, what's going on? They have 24-25 horns we have 56.

Didn't you finish the year with 24 horns? We heard a horn member talked back to a staff member and was kicked off the bus somewhere in Canada. Of course, it could have been something started by one of our staff members. I remember, you guys were 2-3 points behind us most of the year. I never really got to see you guys. I might get to see you coming off the field, but never saw the show. I just kept thinking, what's going on? They have 24-25 horns we have 56.

No we lost a lead soprano player to a car accident in the spring, Tony Smith, wrote the drill for 25 horns and a black space for that sop player. We always left it on the field ever performance. I remember why all winter horn rehearsals and spring ones we woud work on breathing exercises and cardio ones now l know why that is why we lasted the entire show as powerful as we did. We did it for the fans, for the former Crusaders and for us.. . Was an unreal feeling coming into Whitewaters DCI Midwest Retreat inbetween phantom and l think Madison and both of them putting their instruments down and applauding us. I met two SC members at that show and they were wearing Boston T Shirts under their Uniforms...

I saw you guys a number of times that summer Dusti.

Your intensity was both scary and inspiring!!!!!!!

I agree.... had the same experience, seeing Boston a few times that summer. That corps kicked some serious ###.

Fran

As a side note, when I marched Finleyville Royal Crusaders in '80, our corps director, gary Inks, told us not to worry about Boston beating us, that they would drop in score at finals.

We never beat them all season except for prelims at Birmingham.

I think if you check, Boston beat Garfield early that season, Garfield made finals at Birmingham, Boston was 24th or so.