4. Boston Crusaders 57.50

5. Defenders

6. Garfield Cadets 51.05

7. Sprecta

DCI Prelims Birmingham Al.

10th. Garfield Cadets 81.45

24th. Royal Crusaders 64.45

25th. Boston Crusaders 63.90

Was funny how that happened, but then again we didnt conform to DCI we didnt care we did the shows for the People in the stands that understood quality drum corps and ourselves and former Crusaders,. All year long we beat the corps that placed ahead of us until DCI prelims. funny how that happens... A month before we beat the troopers and royal crusaders by 9 points and look where they finished.. but we knew from the people in the stands how we did.. we beat Garfield all year long us and the offensive lions traded each week . In June we beat both 27th and bridgemen. All with 25 horns.. At CYO we beat Madison in Marching execution and l believe Horn execution CYO was a great show for us.. we lined up 5 yrs off the 50.. The DM notice and said ok all turn to the stands and after 4 move 5 yrs to the 50 then turn and wave and say HI Mom.. got a standing O for that .. We competed to enjoy and have fun....

1 Blue Devils 91.750

2 Phantom Regiment 91.650

3 Santa Clara Vanguard 89.950

4 Spirit of Atlanta 89.850

5 27th Lancers 87.400

6 Madison Scouts 86.850

7 Bridgemen 85.000

8 Blue Stars 84.850

9 North Star 84.450

10 Guardsmen 83.650

11 Cavaliers 82.000

12 Troopers 81.900

13 Crossmen 81.700

14 Freelancers 79.400

15 Offensive Lions 76.850

16 Garfield Cadets 76.750

17 Royal Crusaders 76.350

18 Royal Brigade 76.100

19 Boston Crusaders 74.750

Funny thing is there were some crazy people in my corps that thought we should have beaten you in Birmingham.

They were in serious denial.

We were nowhere clean enough to be as close as we were.

Was funny how that happened, but then again we didnt conform to DCI we didnt care we did the shows for the People in the stands that understood quality drum corps and ourselves and former Crusaders,. All year long we beat the corps that placed ahead of us until DCI prelims. funny how that happens... A month before we beat the troopers and royal crusaders by 9 points and look where they finished.. but we knew from the people in the stands how we did.. we beat Garfield all year long us and the offensive lions traded each week . In June we beat both 27th and bridgemen. All with 25 horns.. At CYO we beat Madison in Marching execution and l believe Horn execution CYO was a great show for us.. we lined up 5 yrs off the 50.. The DM notice and said ok all turn to the stands and after 4 move 5 yrs to the 50 then turn and wave and say HI Mom.. got a standing O for that .. We competed to enjoy and have fun....

1 Blue Devils 91.750

2 Phantom Regiment 91.650

3 Santa Clara Vanguard 89.950

4 Spirit of Atlanta 89.850

5 27th Lancers 87.400

6 Madison Scouts 86.850

7 Bridgemen 85.000

8 Blue Stars 84.850

9 North Star 84.450

10 Guardsmen 83.650

11 Cavaliers 82.000

12 Troopers 81.900

13 Crossmen 81.700

14 Freelancers 79.400

15 Offensive Lions 76.850

16 Garfield Cadets 76.750

17 Royal Crusaders 76.350

18 Royal Brigade 76.100

19 Boston Crusaders 74.750

Dusti, That had to be the funniest thing that happened to us that year. The Colorgurad Captain trying to get the Drum Majors attention that we were on the 45 yard line itself was hallarious. This was a very awesome season for all who marched Boston in 1979

No we lost a lead soprano player to a car accident in the spring, Tony Smith, wrote the drill for 25 horns and a black space for that sop player.

The drill was amazing and used the entire field. The brass coordination and staging created some major impacts

and that rifle line was great

Edited by SKEK_SOP

Dusti - I think this is why you started this thread.

BAC.jpg

I think this is from 1978, but need a Crusader to verify.

79BACandTheDorrs.jpg

Kirk Dorr in front, older brother Doug on Waldo. Kirk's twin, Erik did not make this photo, but is playing the smaller bass.

Erik_Kirk.jpg

This photo is from the the late 90's. Erik on the left, his best man, Lt. Colonel Kirk Dorr on the right. Kirk was a Captain when this photo was taken.

Dusti - I think this is why you started this thread.

BAC.jpg

I think this is from 1978, but need a Crusader to verify.

79BACandTheDorrs.jpg

Kirk Dorr in front, older brother Doug on Waldo. Kirk's twin, Erik did not make this photo, but is playing the smaller bass.

Erik_Kirk.jpg

This photo is from the the late 90's. Erik on the left, his best man, Lt. Colonel Kirk Dorr on the right. Kirk was a Captain when this photo was taken.

The photos are actually to small to be able to tell what year it is. When I try to resize them them they become very unlegeble. When I use a magnifying glass I see the 2 Dorrs on Cymbals, I think it might be 1980?

Edited by bobk9258

Dusti, here's a few from '79 Allentown Prelims and Finals;

79BostonCrusaders.jpg

Boston79b.jpg

Boston79a.jpg

Yeah Tony Smith came up with some wild drill ideas. I have you know, that when he would come to our practices, sometimes he would be wearing a Boston Crusader T-Shirt. :ph34r:

Edited by Malibu

In June we beat both 27th and bridgemen.

Refesh my memory, where did this happen?

Dusti, here's a few from '79 Allentown Prelims and Finals;

79BostonCrusaders.jpg

Boston79b.jpg

Boston79a.jpg

Yeah Tony Smith came up with some wild drill ideas. I have you know, that when he would come to our practices, sometimes he would be wearing a Boston Crusader T-Shirt. :laughing:

Yeah Tony was an unreal designer. In the bottom picture l am the last Bari on the left side. Tony's drill that year was basically a follow the leader type of one with myself on one side and another

bari Tuna, on the other. Those are great pics l havent seen them before thanks for the post.. wish someone had some video of that year.