2008 DCI PREVIEW

Are you sure that you weren't looking through the wrong end of your binoculars? I do that sometimes, it's kind of fun. It makes everything seem smaller and far away. It's a good way to make you feel like you have a big yard and your neighbors are miles away.

It is not kind of fun when no binoculars are required for everything to seem smaller and far away. Take the upcoming Drum Corps International season, for example. Well reported, and implicitly understood -- although head-shaking in its emotional wallop, still -- the number of drum corps that compete at the DCI level continues to erode. Certainly there remain legions of community-based, veteran-supported, drum and bugle corps for young people; those units exist for entirely different purposes.

But for the purposes of national competition, music education, and travel, the erosion at the DCI level is ascribed as budgetary. It is possibly due more to the changing world. And it is likely, at some level, that the erosion was precipitated if not intentionally, then with full mindfulness, by the leadership of "Marching Music's Major League." But all of that is old news, and old arguments.

The fact remains: this ain't your father's drum and bugle corps, and this ain't even the drum and bugle corps of any fan's memory; any fan that is, who is older than say, 30. And that is not all bad.

Click here for the rest of the story, at Field&Floor.com

• 2 weeks later...

Great article, David. May I add one suggestion? Ok, I will. Contribute to a corps from your computer. I bought a Trooper T-shirt last week, and have made a few (albeit small) contributions to a couple of other fave corps. Fuel and food prices will no doubt effect the budget of ALL corps this summer. Deisel fuel could reach $5.00 a gallon. With 3 or 4 busses, equipment and food trucks, support staff vans, this will be a huge expense. Add in 3-4 meals a day for 200 people, and the costs become staggering!

Edited by A27Lancer

• 2 weeks later...
Are you sure that you weren't looking through the wrong end of your binoculars? I do that sometimes, it's kind of fun. It makes everything seem smaller and far away. It's a good way to make you feel like you have a big yard and your neighbors are miles away.

It is not kind of fun when no binoculars are required for everything to seem smaller and far away. Take the upcoming Drum Corps International season, for example. Well reported, and implicitly understood -- although head-shaking in its emotional wallop, still -- the number of drum corps that compete at the DCI level continues to erode. Certainly there remain legions of community-based, veteran-supported, drum and bugle corps for young people; those units exist for entirely different purposes.

But for the purposes of national competition, music education, and travel, the erosion at the DCI level is ascribed as budgetary. It is possibly due more to the changing world. And it is likely, at some level, that the erosion was precipitated if not intentionally, then with full mindfulness, by the leadership of "Marching Music's Major League." But all of that is old news, and old arguments.

The fact remains: this ain't your father's drum and bugle corps, and this ain't even the drum and bugle corps of any fan's memory; any fan that is, who is older than say, 30. And that is not all bad.

Click here for the rest of the story, at Field&Floor.com

I enjoyed the article, but where are these legions of local, veteran supported corps? That may have been true 20 years ago, but not today. Where are the local non-DCI shows? I don't see any. For junior drum corps fan activity, the choice is DCI or nothing.

I enjoyed the article, but where are these legions of local, veteran supported corps? That may have been true 20 years ago, but not today. Where are the local non-DCI shows? I don't see any. For junior drum corps fan activity, the choice is DCI or nothing.

Normally I would agree with you, but DCA is seeing a significant increase corps. I have also noticed that many of their corps are getting younger and younger (almost as young as junior corps). They are out there, they are just finding new ways to survive. DCI or nothing is not an accurate statement anymore.

Normally I would agree with you, but DCA is seeing a significant increase corps. I have also noticed that many of their corps are getting younger and younger (almost as young as junior corps). They are out there, they are just finding new ways to survive. DCI or nothing is not an accurate statement anymore.

I believe the appeal of DCa to younger kids is one of time commitment and money. I know that MOST DCA corps are much cheaper than DCI corps, not to mention the time commitment, for most, are only weekends, most open class junior corps have a more intensive schedule than that.

Its a lot cheaper for a corps to be a DCA member as well.

July 27th in Racine, WI will be an all DCA line-up with most, if not all, Minnesota Corps, Kilties and I am sure others.

On the previous comment about expensess and time commitment. They are significantly less. For example Kilties is pretty modest even compared to some other DCA corps at $300 for the season with a few out of pocket expenses for lodging and food. But administration has done a good job to minimize that expense as well. They are also weekend only with only 2 or 3 weekdays during the season for performances (home show and DCA finals). Just to give those an idea that may be thinking of another option to DCI.

Now for a cheap plug...Kilties home show is June 28th at Horlick Field. See www.kilties.com for details :tongue:

July 27th in Racine, WI will be an all DCA line-up with most, if not all, Minnesota Corps, Kilties and I am sure others.

On the previous comment about expensess and time commitment. They are significantly less. For example Kilties is pretty modest even compared to some other DCA corps at $300 for the season with a few out of pocket expenses for lodging and food. But administration has done a good job to minimize that expense as well. They are also weekend only with only 2 or 3 weekdays during the season for performances (home show and DCA finals). Just to give those an idea that may be thinking of another option to DCI.

Now for a cheap plug...Kilties home show is June 28th 27th at Horlick Field. See www.kilties.com for details :tongue:

Fixed. :dancin:

Fixed. :tongue:

Thanks. My bad. Looking ahead toward the sweet madison show lineup where there are also a few DCA corps performing.