Alumni or not alumni - that is the question

I totally screwed up what I meant to say the first time around. Some people got what I was getting at.

I'm trying to fix the description for future posters. This might make some earlier posts seem out of place. Sorry, that's my fault. My poor description led to some misunderstanding.

OK,

I'm guessing we all know that in the current non competitive venues and parades, there are alumni corps, (with alumni and with members that weren't in the original corps - that's OK with me- really.)

There are also some corps that aren't alumni corps, prefer not to be known as alumni corps, but none the less are considered such because they perform with mostly other alumni corps.

Questions are; does the "alumni" label in a corps name hurt recruiting efforts to ensure the corps survival when we run out of original alumni?

Do some non alumni corps get caught in this label by default and also have trouble attracting new members?

Would it be better, for the future, to come up with another classification, (other than "alumni corps"), so that those wanting to join this type of group would feel more welcome in doing so?

Again, this description is vastly different from my original description, but I think better addresses what I was aiming for.

The previous description was poorly thought out and worded and caused a lot of confusion. I was really just trying to infuse a new topic for discussion to keep things interesting.

Edited by Martybucs

• Replies 178
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Dictionary.com has these two definitions for alumni:

1. a graduate or former student of a specific school, college, or university.

2. a former associate, employee, member, or the like: He invited all the alumni of the library staff to the party.

Personally I feel that an alumni corps should be made up of former members.

Edited by lnavis

Remember seeing Archie in 1979 but didn't realize that I was seeing an "Alumni" corps until just a few years ago. Then again, if we had heard "Alumni corps" in 1979 the response would have been WTF?. Know of one person around my age in Archie at that time so they would have been too young to been a member from 1946-1967.

Thought Rebs called themselves an Alumni corps and sold them a horn in late 80s just before they went on the field. BTW, when the guy came to pick it up I found out it had been stolen (not a big surprise considering it was found at a Flea Market/Antiques store).

Lancers started like a bunch of other Alumni corps. First a social group (no corps) of Alumni-only was formed. Then thru luck and lot of effort the decision to field a corps was made and the equipment was bought. Now it's an open group as the corps last competed about 25 years ago and we need new blood. IMO, any reference to "Alumni" needs to be dropped from the corps title as it's misleading to possible new members but it's a slow process. At least it is not used when we are announced most of the time (and new banners are expensive :smile: ).

Westshoremen Alumni is kinda different as it was started by members of the 1990s/2000s competing corps. It was supposed to be a one time only shot but when it was decided to keep on going, earlier members were invited to join. Now it's open to all former members and "friends of Westshore" (aka non-Alumni).

IMO, using Alumni is like using Senior.... Made sense at the time but became confusing and interferred with recruiting as things changed over the years.

Edited by JimF-3rdBari

2. a former associate, employee, member, or the like: He invited all the alumni of the library staff to the party.

And only two corps fit that, Santa Clara and Madison. Kilties alumni from '92 included some non marching members in the drumline, although the person that comes to mind was the equipment mgr from the early '80s.

The Erie Thunderbirds Drum and Bugle Corps, do not title ourselves as an alumni corps for many reasons,,...........some being recruiting, with a lot of different lines of thought under that,...............and that we do compete as a mini corps, (as it is not a seperate organization)

Interesting topic, Marty. Some thoughts I'd like to share about this whole 'alumni corps' thing:

In a perfect world, any TRUE alumni corps would be 100% alumni of one particular corps. We (Cabs Alumni) started that way, and believe me, there are some who feel we should still be that way. Harsh reality: Without opening up membership to others, lots of 'alumni' corps could not survive.

But the world is not perfect, and the drum corps activity is no exception. Thus, many so-called 'alumni' corps are comprised of members from many corps backgrounds, former rival corps, and in a lot of cases people who may have never marched in any corps, only bands.

Think about it -- Aren't we are all alumni of somewhere, some corps, some marching unit? We all enjoy what we do because we cannot handle the demands of a competing corps, though we might prefer to be there. I think it's great we have this opportunity.

I'm glad Archie got the ball rolling, with what has since become the 'alumni movement!' I'm happy to be able to strap on the drum once again to perform. I always missed playing, but not the demands, commitment and responsibilities that marching in a competing corps carries with it. Sitting in the stands is not always very rewarding.

Yes, I'm an alumnus of my original corps, but I also am glad to have met new friends who have become associate members with us, and are now friends for life. We have recruited some great people who are helping us keep 'traditional' drum and bugle corps alive. Like I said, we are all 'alumni' from somewhere!

Unfortunately, most corps couldn't exist with that limitation on membership.

In the Buccaneer Alumni Corps, ("Alumni" is officially part of our name), we have "associate" members, like many organizations that allow "non" members to become members on a limited basis.

Interesting topic, Marty. Some thoughts I'd like to share about this whole 'alumni corps' thing:

In a perfect world, any TRUE alumni corps would be 100% alumni of one particular corps. We (Cabs Alumni) started that way, and believe me, there are some who feel we should still be that way. Harsh reality: Without opening up membership to others, lots of 'alumni' corps could not survive.

But the world is not perfect, and the drum corps activity is no exception. Thus, many so-called 'alumni' corps are comprised of members from many corps backgrounds, former rival corps, and in a lot of cases people who may have never marched in any corps, only bands.

Think about it -- Aren't we are all alumni of somewhere, some corps, some marching unit? We all enjoy what we do because we cannot handle the demands of a competing corps, though we might prefer to be there. I think it's great we have this opportunity.

I'm glad Archie got the ball rolling, with what has since become the 'alumni movement!' I'm happy to be able to strap on the drum once again to perform. I always missed playing, but not the demands, commitment and responsibilities that marching in a competing corps carries with it. Sitting in the stands is not always very rewarding.

Yes, I'm an alumnus of my original corps, but I also am glad to have met new friends who have become associate members with us, and are now friends for life. We have recruited some great people who are helping us keep 'traditional' drum and bugle corps alive. Like I said, we are all 'alumni' from somewhere!

Great post, John.

I feel the same way about using the word "alumni". The Yankee Rebels Alumni decided to resurrect the corps to do an American Legion National Convention parade in 1988. For a while, it was comprised of former members of the Yankee Rebels corps. Over time in order to survive, it became open to anyone. A big step was to allow women in it's membership. It has been good for the corps to open the membership because it provides an opportunity for anyone who would like to perform it's music and carry on the tradition. Since the corps is associated with the Yankee Rebels Alumni Association, we still use the word "alumni" in our name.

Edited by Robbie Ellis

Like I said, we are all 'alumni' from somewhere!

Nicely put John. It doesn't make sense to rethink the system because of the definition spelled out in a dictionary. Even my junior corps has an alumni corps now and probably couldn't survive without the help from folks who never marched in the original corps, but make it all the more worthwhile for the people who did. Gives many a chance to relive special moments from their youth, and make new friends with others who share the same passion.

It's fun to investigate who was the first, and who was an original, but it probably wouldn't make a hill of beans to those who are enjoying themselves at this point in their life. It also gives a few the rare chance to march with their own children. How special is that?

Might as well give my personal feelings as I am a Alumni and non-Alumni of the "Alumni" corps I've performed with.

I started with Westshores competing corps when they were trying to get back on the field and we totally sucked. Things got a lot better but when I think of WSM it's still that struggling corps that pops in my noggin'. As a spectator I'm glad that so many non-Alumni want to get up on stage for that one show a year that the corps does. Just another thing that makes those mid 70s butt kickings (our butts receiving :beer: ) worth it. The one year I was with the Alumni corps was fun but didn't get a chance to get that close with the members as only a few rehearsals each year. And if you perform you miss a lot of the Serenade in Brass show which is why I didnt return.

Lancers and Buccs were Westshores main rivals when I competed and I "threaten" :smile: to join Buccs Alumni for at least one year so I can say I was with both rivals. :smile: My (half) tongue in cheek desciption of Hanover is the "town band that happens to be a drum corps". Seriously a large percentage of the members live within a half hour or so drive of Hanover so it really is a local group. As such I'd say the group concerns itself more with representing the town and AL Post than "this is what Drum Corps is about". I've found it to be a tight knit group that accepts you regardless of age or DC experience (or if you wore blue :smile: ).

More On Topic: I almost didn't check out joining Hanover as I thought it was a "Alumni only" group based on the PA announcement at a show. Then I heard "members aged from High School to..." and I did the math. BUT.... it only worked because I knew when the corps disbanded

Edited by JimF-3rdBari