Why not expand Class A Finals to 5?

Size != Quality

The difference between Class A and Open Class is a difference in SIZE, not quality.

I don't see too much validity behind this statement either.

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It seems to be the thought that by rewarding Class A corps with more exposure, suddenly these corps are going to become complacent and not be motivated to grow into open class corps.

Frankly, this is ridiculous and I seriously doubt anybody who actually has experience with any of these corps could think that. The only corps in class A that do not aspire and work towards open class status are those that logistically can NOT achieve it.

I beg to differ. I think that it's very possible that a corps can be very successful without any aspirations of becoming an Open Class corps, regardless of whether or not they can or can't achieve it. I can't speak for them, as I don't have any affiliation with the corps (other than LOVING their bar), but one corps that comes to mind is the Governaires. They are the best example of a corps that is very successful in Class A, is always entertaining, has a great fan base and connection to their community, and will probably not aspire to be Open Class anytime soon. I have no doubt that they could make the jump to Open Class, but they really don't need to... The Governaires are a stellar corps just the way they are right now.

Sustaining a successful small corps can be considered success just as much as "growing up" to Open Class. It bothers me that people can dismiss corps as unsuccessful because they don't conform to the "bigger is better" ideal, as well as the idea that aspiring to be the best Class A corps year after is is being "complacent" and "not motivated".

actually, I think it happens at every show,.............I have yet to go to a regular season show where class A corps were given seperate scores and placements from the open class corps.................

No...Shadow's talking about the fact that if a declared Class A corps pulls off the "Golden Show" and pulls thr 10th highest overall score, they get moved to Open Class finals instead of competing for the Class A crown...THAT is what's not happened yet.

What a great and positive post Cathie. If there's anything I can do to make your family's Rochester experience more enjoyable... ask... sightseeing recommendations etc. anything...

and yes, change is inevitable... growth = change

DCA has survived by making change slowly and with great deliberation.

Tom will likely start the "Cathie Clan" at Dinosaur Bar-B Q.

Unequivocally worth the trip. Just make sure to feed the parking meter. I got a ticket last time I parked on the bridge.

Was it still worth it? Actually....yeah.

Cathie...take Tom up on the offer ('cause I know he means it). You could do alot worse on DCA weekend than to be one of his VIP's.

I've gone back and forth on this in my mind, but I would tend to agree with you on this, Tom.

First...... 13 corps at the night show, plus an exhibition from the mini-corps champ, is a big show. Long enough.

Second.....again I remind everyone that as recently as 2003, there were only three Class A-declared corps at the championships.

Not saying this would happen..... but what if DCA expanded the class A finalist field to 5..... and that particular year only four or five corps declared for Class A?

Fran

what if it could be tweaked on a year to year basis depending on how many declare Class A

I beg to differ. I think that it's very possible that a corps can be very successful without any aspirations of becoming an Open Class corps, regardless of whether or not they can or can't achieve it. I can't speak for them, as I don't have any affiliation with the corps (other than LOVING their bar), but one corps that comes to mind is the Governaires. They are the best example of a corps that is very successful in Class A, is always entertaining, has a great fan base and connection to their community, and will probably not aspire to be Open Class anytime soon. I have no doubt that they could make the jump to Open Class, but they really don't need to... The Governaires are a stellar corps just the way they are right now.

Sustaining a successful small corps can be considered success just as much as "growing up" to Open Class. It bothers me that people can dismiss corps as unsuccessful because they don't conform to the "bigger is better" ideal, as well as the idea that aspiring to be the best Class A corps year after is is being "complacent" and "not motivated".

I never said that a smaller corps can't be succesful. I love the Govies, but I'm pretty sure I've read statements from their own members that logistically they simply can't double or triple in size as they'd need to do to be competitive in open class. Geography, population, demographics, etc. all make it all but impossible.

My point is simply that the big majority of class A corps hope to grow into open class corps sooner or later, and adding finalist spots isn't going to suddenly make them decide to stop where they're at.

Wow, so now not only the size of the corps matters, but also the size of the crowd you perform to...

Govenaires do more than just competitive field shows. We have survived as a corps for 81 years, and DCA finals has only been a part of that grand history/tradition for the past 4 years. Our connection to the community and our dedication to putting on the best dang parade/backyard concert/uniformed standstill concert possible for who ever and how many ever screaming, baby throwing, chest painted super fans are in attendance is what makes us successful. Not our future plans to field an Open Class corps. We say this all the time, "When the Govenaires don't make A class finals, that is a good day for drum corps."

Becomming an Open class corps would change us...I think were pretty awesome they way we are.

Oh, and I think 3 is enough...

Edited by Guse

Becomming an Open class corps would change us...I think were pretty awesome they way we are.

Agreed! If Chops ever folds (God forbid), you guys are getting a mello player from Hopkins.

Wow, so now not only the size of the corps matters, but also the size of the crowd you perform to...

Govenaires do more than just competitive field shows. We have survived as a corps for 81 years, and DCA finals has only been a part of that grand history/tradition for the past 4 years. Our connection to the community and our dedication to putting on the best dang parade/backyard concert/uniformed standstill concert possible for who ever and how many ever screaming, baby throwing, chest painted super fans are in attendance is what makes us successful. Not our future plans to field an Open Class corps. We say this all the time, "When the Govenaires don't make A class finals, that is a good day for drum corps."

...and besides that........the GREEN BUS isn't big enough :lol: and I know you're keeping that :lol:

I love this post!