The Official 2008 Madison Scouts Discussion Thread

What has happened to Scouts? After Scott was let go they haven't been the same.

NOTHING HAS HAPPENED.......

Go to the BD thread where they stay in top five forever. You will not feel the need top start trouble there!

• Replies 2.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

ah, that reminds me of a text i got from a friend on his way to his first tryout for scouts..."'96 on the laptop! nuff said."

i'm hoping that this year will be just as awesome!

NOTHING HAS HAPPENED.......

Go to the BD thread where they stay in top five forever. You will not feel the need top start trouble there!

What BD thread, one doesn't exist so far this year :laughing:

in the rockford show the battery mostly the snares weren't there it seemed or something, it was not a clear sound i guess i don't know how to explain what i heard but i was wondering if anyone agrees that it has something to do with having no scoops?

dci.org says madison came within about a point of BK BS and Colts...

I believe one of the cyms said he was from Wisconsin, although I can't remember where.

Matt from the cymbal line is from Appleton.

Thanks to everyone for posting photos. Much appreciated by parents back home!

Can't wait to see the show this Saturday night for the first time.

Cymbalmom

in the rockford show the battery mostly the snares weren't there it seemed or something, it was not a clear sound i guess i don't know how to explain what i heard but i was wondering if anyone agrees that it has something to do with having no scoops?

dci.org says madison came within about a point of BK BS and Colts...

It's mostly because the scoops haven't arrived yet. Staging is also a work in progress. Confidence in performance may also play a part. In time, you will hear from Madison's percussion.

Mad75

Can we please stop this pi$$ing contest and get back to the 2008 Scouts?

Seems to me the judges aren't liking the music for some reason... 6th in GE Music Rep, 6th across the board in Music (ensemble and percussion). 3rd in GE Visual (Blue Stars got 6th). 4th in Visual Ensemble (BK got 6th).

Comments, analysis?

Linda,

My impression is that they have a very challenging program that will take some time to clean. Right now, the horns and drums are marching fairly well for this time of year. But their playing is suffering a bit. Horns sound thin and there are individuals sticking out. They need a fuller, more mature sound. I have heard standstill recordings that have awesome sound quality. They just need to sound that way while moving. Percussion-wise, they need to tighten up a lot. The snares in particular sound like 9 individuals rather than one guy. These things will come when they get more comfortable with the marching, so look for a big improvement.

They have a bigger guard than last year, but I agree with Joey Babay that they need to come up to the level of the horns and drums in terms of individual bearing. The guard work right now is pretty standard and should be executed at a higher level. BTW, Joey was guard member in the early 80s and definitely knows what he is talking about. It would be nice to see some of those guys from the great Madison guards of the 80s/90s working with the corps. I think they could help a lot.

I really like the show. The music is catchy and driving, very well-suited to Madison. The climaxes are not coming across right now, but I'm confident they will be there as the members start to inhabit the show. Visually, the design is sophisticated and fits the music very well. However, the drum solo drill isn't quite "there" yet. (My guess is that there will be some rewrites and additions to the second half of the show.) Guard needs to be staged a little better and the work needs to complement the music more, especially around the impact points.

Overall, I think that Madison definitely has a top-12 vehicle this year. The music will carry them a long way. This is a show that you really want to see in Finals. In some ways, it reminds me of 2005. The challenge will be for the performers to not only execute, but really "sell" the show. When they do, scores will fall into place and audiences will eat it up.

Anyway, that's my .02.

It would be nice to see some of those guys from the great Madison guards of the 80s/90s working with the corps. I think they could help a lot.

Anyone willing to step up to this challenge?

BTW, for the sake of the earlier generation gap argument, my son is 16, marches Madison's guard this year, and his favorite show is Madison 1975.