The Official 2008 Madison Scouts Discussion Thread

Looks like you're up to speed now...good job Tommy &

Go Scouts!!!!

hahaha..Horns up!

So, let me please get this straight...because I want to be crystal about what I believe you are saying...

In Sal's position as Director of the Madison Scouts, he had full, complete, and total control over all spending, income, budgeting, expenses...all the financials. Is this what you are saying? That during the Sal Salas years, for the ONLY time in Madison's 70 year history, there was NO Board of Directors whose job it is to control spending, income, budgeting, expenses...all the financials.

See, Sal was an employee of the Board. Just wanting to be crystal about this. The Board determined not to renew his contract, which is their right. However, the Board also was in charge of all income and expenses.

So, before we continue to heap blame on Sal for returning the corps to Top 12 for his ENTIRE tenure....let's just be clear on the facts.

<horns down>

• Replies 2.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So, let me please get this straight...because I want to be crystal about what I believe you are saying...

In Sal's position as Director of the Madison Scouts, he had full, complete, and total control over all spending, income, budgeting, expenses...all the financials. Is this what you are saying? That during the Sal Salas years, for the ONLY time in Madison's 70 year history, there was NO Board of Directors whose job it is to control spending, income, budgeting, expenses...all the financials.

See, Sal was an employee of the Board. Just wanting to be crystal about this. The Board determined not to renew his contract, which is their right. However, the Board also was in charge of all income and expenses.

So, before we continue to heap blame on Sal for returning the corps to Top 12 for his ENTIRE tenure....let's just be clear on the facts.

<horns down>

and then the sounds of crickets were heard.

Believe it or not, some of us try to work in between bandying insults with Scouts haters on the internet.

I think Sal gets to shoulder as much blame as Scott Stewart got. Sal was the man, to him go the kudos and the criticisms. Beyond that your description of Sal's influence on spending in the Scouts is inaccurate. He was paid a handsome salary more than Stewart ever got for doing twice as much work, to direct all facets of the operation of the corps.

To the comments about Sals influence on color guard, agreed it was huge 25-30 years ago, yet in his tenure as Director the Madison guards fortunes were not reversed. Point of fact, there are many in this activity who dont think Sals innovations to color guard were necessarily a positive to the activity.

Well... I'm teaching Summer School so I have a little more time than you do Dan. BTW great show at Drums On. I got Junko's autograph!

Go Kilties!!

Believe it or not, some of us try to work in between bandying insults with Scouts haters on the internet.

not sure if it's been mentioned yet, but Madison's Encore from Saturday is up. (no America :tongue: ...no Ice Castles... :tongue: )

also, MYNWA is up

Edited by RAPTORScout

Well... I'm teaching Summer School so I have a little more time than you do Dan. BTW great show at Drums On. I got Junko's autograph!

Go Kilties!!

No fair!

Parade Rest!

I've marched under or with Bill Howard, Scott Stewart, Sal Salas & Jeff Spanos and know them well enough not to come on here and spout

my opinions about their positive & negative attributes. They all stepped up to a challenge very few would ever dream of and did the best they could

to continue the legacy of the Madison Scouts. Kudos to all 4 of them for what they have done and will do for drum corps- far more than 99.9% of those

on here with their back hair up spouting off will probably ever do. The Scouts are a better organization because of all of them.

Now wasn't this topic supposed to be The Official 2008 Madison Scout discussion Thread.

Go Scouts !

Parade Rest!

I've marched under or with Bill Howard, Scott Stewart, Sal Salas & Jeff Spanos and know them well enough not to come on here and spout

my opinions about their positive & negative attributes. They all stepped up to a challenge very few would ever dream of and did the best they could

to continue the legacy of the Madison Scouts. Kudos to all 4 of them for what they have done and will do for drum corps- far more than 99.9% of those

on here with their back hair up spouting off will probably ever do. The Scouts are a better organization because of all of them.

Now wasn't this topic supposed to be The Official 2008 Madison Scout discussion Thread.

Go Scouts !

:tongue:

<horns down>

With most organizations the Board of Directors approves the budget that is created by the Executive Director. The Executive Director is responsible for controlling spending and insuring that the organization is financially healthy.

A corps placement is the most visible part of an Executive Director's job and that is how most fans judge the performance of an Executive Director. How the corps does on the field is only one aspect of the Executive Director's job. A Board of Directors has to see beyond a corps placement to judge how well the Executive Director is doing. Financial health, retention of eligible members, standing in the community, how well the tour was run all have to be factored as well.

Parade Rest!

Go Scouts !

I didnt mean to disparage Sal as he is a brother Scout, but I took issue to a characterization of todays staff as lacking compared to the Salas years.

I am first and foremost a Scott Stewart fan, and I think anyone who follows him has a lot to live up to to be mentioned in such reverential tones as the poster I responded to.

Parade Rest!

Go Scouts !

:rolleyes: