The Official 2008 Madison Scouts Discussion Thread

• Replies 2.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Last minute decision for me -- but I'm going to Bloomington Friday with no ticket and no place to stay. No worries. It'll work out somehow.

I have to scream for my brothers.

wow good for you........!!!!!!! Have Fun

...two weeks of PB&J!!! Best story of the entire thread in my opinion...

If you don't like PB&J, you could cancel your netflix for 2 months, do you really watch all of those moves anyway?

You could also downgrade your cable and watch tv at your GFs (partners) house for awhile.

Cancel your YMCA membership until it gets cold again.

Work a few extra hours, or finally put some of your crap for sale on ebay.

Take your partner to the dollar movie a few times, forget your wallet the next time you go out to eat (he/she probably owes you anyway).

If you can still play, give a brief performance at work. Tell your fellow employees about your past life as a performing artist and why you are doing this. If you can squeak out a few high notes, do it. They'll talk about it for weeks.

The point is, those of us who have had the experience of marching drum corps (not just with the Scouts) were truly given something remarkable.

How many people do you know who can say they performed in most of the states before turning 20?

When I earned my living as a touring musician, I found few others who could make that claim, even among the most seasoned professionals.

Basically, playing 350 shows a year came pretty natural for me because of my experience in drum corps.

And there's the bonding aspect as well.

I can remember while on tour, waking up on the bus, it was night time and all was quiet. We must have been slowing down to pass through some town. I raised up and looked back across the bus, I could see the sleeping faces of my fellow corp members as we passed lights on the street.

As looked at each of them one by one, I started to realize something. I could not find one single person sitting on that bus that I did not like and I think they liked me too. In fact, I think most of the corps like me, and the staff as well. It sounds simple but to like and be liked by a large group of people that you respect, all working toward a common goal. That is very, very powerful character building stuff. I reflect on that experience often and I can't tell you how it has sustained me during times when I needed a little inner warmth and confidence. My first season was not quite like that but hey, I was a rookie.

I was given an incredible gift of experience. I owe such a debt to those who came before me in this activity and to those who made that experience possible.

I felt like the best way to honor that debt was to try and help preserve the Madison Scouts, to me, the most important corps still surviving. I have no friends in the Scouts and I've never met a staff member, I just thought it was important.

Both of the corps that I marched with have folded and most kids I talk to about drum corps have never heard of either of them. Get it?

Today would be a great day to show your support.

Thank you to all who have donated to the Scouts' 100K "Join the Corps" Campaign. We are indebted to each of you.

We still need support.

The Madison Scouts continue to be in a fragile financial state. Over the past two years a lot has been accomplished to strengthen our footing, including reducing our debt load by over $220,000. However, we are not immune to the economic pressures that all drum corps are experiencing today.

We are asking you to tap into the passion that you have for the Madison Scouts and support the corps with a financial contribution. Organizationally, the Scouts are pointed in the right direction. But today’s economic stresses are threatening that strategy.

What we hope to achieve is a strong influx of cash to put the corps on a solid financial footing before heading into the off-season, a time when donations and revenue sources are non-existent.

As alumni and fans of the Scouts, we are asking that you help us achieve a new standard for financial contributions. The corps is setting a new standard with each show in order to return to the coveted “top 12” in DCI. At the same time we would like our alumni and fans to do the same and help us reach $100,000 in contributions in August.

To "Join the Corps," click here: http://www.madisonscouts.org/corps/Join%20...he%20Corps.html

Thank you again.

Steve Powers

Staff Coordinator

Madison Scouts

I felt like the best way to honor that debt was to try and help preserve the Madison Scouts, to me, the most important corps still surviving.

I have no friends in the Scouts and I've never met a staff member, I just thought it was important.

Today would be a great day to show your support.

Zentropa,

I do not know you but believe me I do consider you my friend because you are a friend of the Madison Scouts and

helping to preserve what is so special to so many means a heck of a lot to me. I have always known what the Scouts have meant to me

(although the older I get the more I realize how much) but until recently I had no idea how much the Scouts mean to so many more people

out there. Thanks again for not only supporting the Scouts but for encouraging others to get off their collective butts and do the same.

I can't make it to Bloomington but I'll be at the theater tonight cheering for and eating up the 2008 Men of Madison.

GO SCOUTS!!!

Zentropa,

I do not know you but believe me I do consider you my friend because you are a friend of the Madison Scouts and

helping to preserve what is so special to so many means a heck of a lot to me. I have always known what the Scouts have meant to me

(although the older I get the more I realize how much) but until recently I had no idea how much the Scouts mean to so many more people

out there. Thanks again for not only supporting the Scouts but for encouraging others to get off their collective butts and do the same.

I can't make it to Bloomington but I'll be at the theater tonight cheering for and eating up the 2008 Men of Madison.

GO SCOUTS!!!

Thanks man,

I can't make it out there either.

Right now I'm packed and just about to walk out the door (heading north) but I'll be stopping in Amarillo to see the show, bought my ticket this morning!

Go Scouts! Blow My Face Off!!!!

Good luck Scouts! I am looking forward to seeing you tonight on the big screen. I just want to point out that for anyone who cannot afford to donate the suggested $70/100 for alumni or booster status, you can still donate any amount (say, $20) through the the Scouts web site. I hope everyone who reads this thread donates something! GO SCOUTS!

Vic Russell

Thank you Zentropa and Tom Brace for your support of the Corps and

challenging us Alumni to step up to the plate!

And.....

GO SCOUTS!!!

Time to crank up the after-burners and

set the field on fire boys!