The Official 2008 Madison Scouts Discussion Thread

That's correct, Matt. Jeff was never "officially" supposed to be anything but executive director. The difference between him and Sal Salas and Scott Stewart is that they both served as ED and corps director...with Scott also filling the role of "program coordinator"...if memory serves me correctly.

• Replies 2.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I remember Bob Guinn mentioning that as he tuned our bass drums before the alumni performance at Camp Randall.

The #1 & #2 basses were pretty big (by todays standards) so he was trying to crank them up as much as possible,

lucky for us history did not repeat itself (as far as the split head anyway).

If it did split people would have probably thought it was staged.

I don't remember bass #1's name, but I'm pretty sure bass #2 was Jesse Dubuque. I remember coming off the field and hearing about it after we huddled up outside the stadium. Bass #1 was visibly upset and on the verge of tears and Jesse seemed just as upset, but more out of frustration because he was unable to adequately cover both parts. Personally, I think it was a valiant effort on Jesse's part to try to make that adjustment on the fly...he was incredibly aware to realize the situation and take it upon himself to pick his brother up. Got nothing but respect for that! :thumbup:

It's just one of those "freak" things that probably never happened all summer and just unfortunately happened finals night. That, or maybe he was just a bit too excited during that first hit during Malaguena and hit his drum a bit too hard. :thumbup: I still feel bad for that guy...

Edited by BigBadMadMan

I'm not really involved with the corps except that I keep my eyes and ears open and I am very excited about what I feel is going to happen! In contrast to the confusion of last season, everyone involved (from the board to Jeff Spanos to the staff to the volunteers to the marching members) seems to be very confident in where they are going logistically and very excited about the show designs. I was able to catch their stand up performance at Brat Fest (mmmm... brats and beer....) and *I am no expert but* it sounds about as far along at this point as I would say it was near the end of everydays last year. They are attacking this season with a running start.

As far as the show goes, I'll just support whomever stated that there are lots of clues on the website. And also to say that all elements: Music, drill, uniforms are building on that controversial "wake up" feeling they gave us last year. Some say they hated it but most would agree that it got your attention, good or bad. And now that we're listening, they're going to really give us what we want from the Scouts - Tradition, Energy, and Hot Licks!

Just my opinion but I am already excited and I know the fans will not be disappointed!

I think Scouts will be back in Finals this year, despite popular opinion that they won't. The main thing that hurt them, from what I understood last year, was the 2 or 3 times they completey rewrote their drill. Despite that, they stil sounded incredible and enjoyed their show. Kashmir was the bomb!

Wasn't necessarily the 2-3 times they rewrote their drill - most corps spend all of July doing this. It was the poor show design all around that just couldn't be fixed. Kudos to the guys for performing well with what they were given.

Looking forward to seeing the Scouts build on last year...

Bob and Alan were awesome in the MSARP, and I told them so several times. Bass drums (even 1 & 2) didn't play complex parts (like those two were) when I marched, but Bob and Alan weren't really that long out of drum corps (like you and me, Mikey!) for the alumni project.

You got that right Geno. Bob and Allan were in a different league than the rest of us geezers in the bass line-but we held our own

for not having marched for 25 to 30 years. Of course Chris Theo's parts made all of us have to pick it up a couple notches from

"back in the day" thats for sure.

Here's a list of that great bass line.

#1 - Bob Guinn - marched 95 thru 98, played bass in 95 & 96 going on to be drum major in 97 & 98.

#2 - Allan Zwettler - Marched in 01 & 02, both on bass.

#3a - Mark "Snaz" Weidenfeller - Marched 77 thru 83 on plates, marching timp and bass drum.

#3b - Scott Spilde - Marched 75 & 76 on marching timp

#4a - Matt Veldran - Marched 80 & 81 on bass

#4b - Robin Goldberg - Marched 73 thru 76 on bass

#5 - Yours truly

As a side note, I recently found out a bass drummer in the 2008 Scouts was in financial trouble (broke) so got a hold of as many Scout Alumni

bass drummers (and a few others) as I could. We're well on our way to paying our younger brothers dues. Could still use some help if there is

anyone out there that is willing. Just PM me.

The 2008 Madison Scouts are alive and doing Very Well ! I spoke with my son last night and he is PUMPED ! He said that they have over 8 mins. of the show on the field. I have seen a good deal of the opener and loved what I saw. As a whole every aspect of the corps is much improved over last years corps. I have seen a picture of the new uni's and they are awesome ! They are already a classic in my mind .

Bill

I can't wait to see the new uniforms. They've been described to me and sound awesome. I hope we can get a photo of them up soon...

If one gets or already has pics of the new unis, please post them on this topic. Man I can't wait to see them.

Wasn't necessarily the 2-3 times they rewrote their drill - most corps spend all of July doing this. It was the poor show design all around that just couldn't be fixed. Kudos to the guys for performing well with what they were given.

Looking forward to seeing the Scouts build on last year...

let us not dismiss the incredible amount of work that the members of the 2007 Madison Scouts put into their program.

The 2007 Scouts did not tweak their show like "most corps"

I marched five years in the top 12, and wrote for a few crops another five years after that......

Not once, did any group I marched with, do what the 2007 Scouts did as far drill changes. And they still smoked the show they were given. And the kids came back for more in 2008. Thats what men are made of... Thats what THIS man is made of!

(It might have been that way for the Lakeshore Brassmen but it does not work that way for most other corps)

Edited by Cop

let us not dismiss the incredible amount of work that the members of the 2007 Madison Scouts put into their program.

The 2007 Scouts did not tweak their show like "most corps"

I marched five years in the top 12, and wrote for a few crops another five years after that......

Not once, did any group I marched with, do what the 2007 Scouts did as far drill changes. And they still smoked the show they were given. And the kids came back for more in 2008. Thats what men are made of... Thats what THIS man is made of!

(It might have been that way for the Lakeshore Brassmen but it does not work that way for most other corps)

This is exactly why I not only like this corps but respect them. The Madison Scouts are BA in every way no matter what place they come in.

Edited by TealEuph7