Interesting and odd predictions for 2008

Me too...

* Cavies will take top spot

* Little bit of shake-up in Top 3 as Phantom and SCV take #2 and #3 slots

* Cadets won't like this year's outcome and will abandon years 3, 4 and 5 of the series.

* The Big Blue Flip... In are the Stars. Out are the Knights.

* Fierce battle for #5 between Cadets and Crown.

* Bluecoats will be in a season-end battle for the #9 and #10 spot with Glassmen.

• Like 1

I predict:

- Cadets take the gold at finals

- BD takes the silver

- A major cat fight for 3rd with no guarantees for the Cavies

- The fight for 12th place will again be just as interesting, if not more so, than the fight for 3rd

- Every show from top to bottom will be a good show.

- Some good shows will not be seen by some ticket holders because they'd rather have a hot dog or watch warmups by corps with a reputation

- A yet to be determined corps will be penalized early in the season for improper use of electronics

Let's all go out on a limb and make some predictions of things we think could happen, scorewise, with placements, or other unusual things that may happen over the course of the DCI 2008 summer tour.

My bold prediction is at some point during the summer, Colts will beat Phantom Regiment.

I also predict Blue Stars will make finals for the 1st time since becoming DI/World Class again.

OK, I'm a biased honk, but that's not happening. Beat Boston first and I'll listen. Beat Arizona and I'll listen. Heck, beat Blue Stars and I'll wake up.

But I don't think Colts has EVER beat PR. And you're making the "odd" prediction that a top-6 will lose at least once this summer to a corps that wasn't even on the field Saturday night two years ago? OK, maybe they beat them in 98/99. A long time ago in a DCI far, far away.

Listen, I'm not blasting you. If you just wanted to talk and have folks put out wacky predictions, more power--no problem with that.

But I'll take you up on that prediction and bet you a Dublin Dr. Pepper on that one. I depend strictly on logic to say that. I've been a pretty vocal critic the last couple years of my corps and its calendar management and it sounds like they are finally putting the show on the field with finals in mind on the calendar, meaning peaking a week early and really shining finals night. That means June Colts has to compete with July Regiment--good luck with that!

Could I be wrong? Sure. If so you get to experience the joy of Dublin Dr. Pepper with Imperial Can Sugar.

Oh, and as impressed as I was last year with Blue Stars, they have to beat Academy and Spirit. Oh, and there's the issue of Madison starting out at the right place this summer. Last summer was a fluke due to BIG changes in the corps' management, staff, etc. Having 150 show up to fill 135 spots, as I remember Madison's numbers from last year, is bad in the most competitive year in the 10-15 range ever. Somehow I'll betcha Madison has its stuff together this year, and I'll be honest, I'm looking forward to buying my first Scouts shirt ever--one with a handsome iguana on it! Plus Crossmen are in their second year in Texas.

I'll take you up on your Blue Stars bet, too, and wager another Dublin DP, although I'm not as confident of this one. But if Arizona hop-skotches Spirit and Blue Stars makes Finals, it will be a sad year in either Boston, Toledo, or Iowa--and if it's the last of those, you'll be pretty assured of missing out on that first bet!

OK, I'm a biased honk, but that's not happening. Beat Boston first and I'll listen. Beat Arizona and I'll listen. Heck, beat Blue Stars and I'll wake up.

But I don't think Colts has EVER beat PR. And you're making the "odd" prediction that a top-6 will lose at least once this summer to a corps that wasn't even on the field Saturday night two years ago? OK, maybe they beat them in 98/99. A long time ago in a DCI far, far away.

Listen, I'm not blasting you. If you just wanted to talk and have folks put out wacky predictions, more power--no problem with that.

But I'll take you up on that prediction and bet you a Dublin Dr. Pepper on that one. I depend strictly on logic to say that. I've been a pretty vocal critic the last couple years of my corps and its calendar management and it sounds like they are finally putting the show on the field with finals in mind on the calendar, meaning peaking a week early and really shining finals night. That means June Colts has to compete with July Regiment--good luck with that!

Could I be wrong? Sure. If so you get to experience the joy of Dublin Dr. Pepper with Imperial Can Sugar.

Oh, and as impressed as I was last year with Blue Stars, they have to beat Academy and Spirit. Oh, and there's the issue of Madison starting out at the right place this summer. Last summer was a fluke due to BIG changes in the corps' management, staff, etc. Having 150 show up to fill 135 spots, as I remember Madison's numbers from last year, is bad in the most competitive year in the 10-15 range ever. Somehow I'll betcha Madison has its stuff together this year, and I'll be honest, I'm looking forward to buying my first Scouts shirt ever--one with a handsome iguana on it! Plus Crossmen are in their second year in Texas.

I'll take you up on your Blue Stars bet, too, and wager another Dublin DP, although I'm not as confident of this one. But if Arizona hop-skotches Spirit and Blue Stars makes Finals, it will be a sad year in either Boston, Toledo, or Iowa--and if it's the last of those, you'll be pretty assured of missing out on that first bet!

I am guessing Dublin Dr. Pepper is an alcoholic drink? I think I've seen it mentioned here before, but can't remember what it is.

I can see your points, but I am sticking to my prediction. I think Colts are coming off their best show ever(although they have place higher at finals in 95). I have heard their show several times via cell phone this year, and have heard about their progress, and they are way above where they have been in years past as far as drill and show design go. And to be honest, I think they could place as high as 8th this year. I also think Phantom is going to have a rough year. I think their trip out west is going to hurt them a little, both on the field and financially. I predict they are going to be in 7th place come finals week. I think Phantom, Blue Knights, and Colts are going to be in the 7-9 places. And I honestly think Colts could beat Phantom, which I don't think has been done since the mid 80's in one the DCM shows. I don't think they will beat them on finals week, but I think it might be done during the regular season.

As far as Blue Stars, yes, they would have to beat 2 of the corps in Glassmen, Spirit and Academy to make finals. But that whole group is awesome, Ill admit. I also think Scouts are gonna come back this year and potentially make finals. I think you have Boston Crusades, Spirit, Glassmen, Academy, Blue Stars and Scouts going for those last 3 positions, and I think Scouts, Blue Stars, and Boston are going to take them. Just a gut feeling.

Predictions/wish list going into the season (now that we know what the corps programs)

1) Bluecoats

2) Phantom

3) Cavies

4) BD

5) Blue Knights

6) Cadets

7) Crown

8) SCV

9) Boston

10) Madison

11) Glassmen

12) Blue Stars- Welcome to Finals

13) Colts

14) Spirit

15) Crossmen

Well, you take the cake for "odd" so far!

Bluecoats jump from 7 to 1 in the most competitive era in DCI history when they've never even broken top 3.

BD from 4 to 1 is possible, but I just don't see that much jostling in the top 4.

BK in uncharted territory? Nice.

Cadets losing to the Knights for the first time ever? C'mon, they're hungry for the top after 06 and 07.

The bottom 6 are kind of unbelievable being that 8/9 basically was assured all season last year and there was no hope of rising/falling from there.

And your 12 spot works great if Arizona doesn't field a corps this year!

Listen, all you Blue Stars honks, I liked the corps--I really did! They had a great hornline and I loved the uniforms. But there's an odd reminiscence of the "anti-Star" sentiment from when I came into the activity directed towards Academy today. Beat Academy and I'll believe it. As much as I have positive to say about DVD at Crown/Stars, AZ impresses me, too. Phantom had to have their 96--Blue Stars have to actually beat AZ for me to buy into the on-the-field thing. San Antonio wasn't even close last year--standings or score. From the 12 spot up to 11 was a 1.5 point gap, and that was almost a 3-point gap from Stars up to Colts--tough gap to overcome.

Now, if OP is right and Colts tag PR at some point, that probably bodes well for you prediction with Stars.

Should be interesting regardless. Just, don't forget Arizona. Blue Stars fans can cry foul and "not enough shows" all day long, but if the corps can't beat the other guys it's irrlevent. I'll believe it when I see it.

Well what the heck I'm REALLY bored.

1. Cadets

2. Phantom

3. SCV

4. Crown

5. BD

6. Cavies

7. Bluecoats

8. Blue Stars

9. Academy

10. Blue Knights

11. Madison

12. Boston

13. Colts

14. Spirit

15. Pacific Crest

16. Mandarins

17. Troopers

18. Crossmen

19. Pioneer

I rarely argue with other people's predictions. But in this case, I'll go out on a limb and predict a better outcome for the Glassmen than your forecast.

Shiner Bock is alcoholic--very similar to Sam Adams. Dublin Dr. Pepper is made with Imperial Cane Sugar instead of corn syrup. When the industry went over to cane syrup the Dublin, Texas bottling plant said, "No dice!"--kept bottling with real sugar. Imperial Sugar, as in Sugarland, TX. Shiner Bock as in Shiner, TX. I bet Dublin if with a minor or unsure. Happy to up it to a Shiner Bock if of-age!

Well what the heck I'm REALLY bored.

1. Cadets

2. Phantom

3. SCV

4. Crown

5. BD

6. Cavies

7. Bluecoats

8. Blue Stars

9. Academy

10. Blue Knights

11. Madison

12. Boston

13. Colts

14. Spirit

15. Pacific Crest

16. Mandarins

17. Troopers

18. Crossmen

19. Pioneer

Now, Boz--when was the last time Cavies were in 6th??? 97? I'm a big believer that you just don't jump or fall terribly far, especially when you've achieved a level Cavies have since 2000.

I'll buy Cadets/Phantom, depending on how Spartacus looks. Bud SCV/Crown over BD/Cavies? Not buying. BD has been in 5th exactly once since breaking into finals in 73. 1st to 5th? Also not buying. I don't see them falling below 3rd.

And as much as I gush over Academy, I see neither Stars nor Academy rising above 10th--just a totally different strata of on-the-field achievement.

And Mandarins/Troopers/PC over Crossmen? Na'ah. And where did Glassmen go? Europe? Branson? Vegas? Maybe Spain for a Picasso encore.