Great Unused Repetoire

A few "Open Class" Corps have done music from video games, when Blue Stars was in Open Class they did the music in 04, forgot what it was.

Band of Brothers is sung by Carolina Crown for a warm-up.

My thought would have been nightmare before Christmas. Even a Christmas show, I know Crown did Carol of the Bells in 03. But I don't remember hearing of a Christmas show.

Cavies '91 was a Christmas show, complete with the "Tree-pull" at the end. :tongue:

• Like 1

La Creation du Monde--Milhaud Although the original is considered the first jazz composition for orchestra (yes, before Gershwin), Branford Marsalis covered this on his album "Creation."

Pan Tadeusz--Kilar. The soundtrack from the film. The movie his an historical piece about the struggle of the Polish people who sided with Napoleon. This screams SCV. It is hauntingly beautiful.

Tubular Bells-Michael Oldfield. The first three seconds of this piece sends chills up the spine of anybody who has seen the film in which this piece premiered.

....that is all for now.

I was just thinking about this one today: Frank Zappa! He's got like 90 albums and nobody has touched them at all save L'insolite in 1994 (anyone know what they actually played?) And not necessarily the goofy stuff like "Don't Eat the Yellow Snow." My wife and I were talking about what Zappa songs we could think of that would translate well to drum corps.

We thought a good show would consist of:

Peaches en Regalia

We Are Not Alone

Sofa

G-spot Tornado

It's a fantasy of mine to see The Crossmen do a Frank Zappa show.

Edited by Taylor

I would love to hear Phantom do this version of Chesnokov's "Salvation is Created" (Spasenie Sodelal). <a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DNZ3YGJWt40" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DNZ3YGJWt40</a>

I think it would be amazing on the field.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x0qMMRK0kzM

that has been the traditional on field warmup of the jsu marching southerners for many many years, arranged by dr. david walters, and that arrangement was borrowed by spirit of atlanta during their glory years as well. not many drum corps people know about walters, but that isn't the only arrangement of his to sneak over to a drum corps (anyone ever hear the muchachos espiritu del toro?)

One farily new piece is

Give us this day- Maslanka, please (crown, phantom, cadets) Just do the frist movement please

Played that this past winter; beautiful piece. 2nd movement was fun to play too.

WGI.org has Maslanka on their "music copyright list" as not allowing any arrangement/use. I think he'll compose original works for people if they ask.

(then again, they have Nintendo and "Cowboy Bebop" music on that list as well...and that doesn't stop me from wanting it on the field)

Played that this past winter; beautiful piece. 2nd movement was fun to play too.

WGI.org has Maslanka on their "music copyright list" as not allowing any arrangement/use. I think he'll compose original works for people if they ask.

WGI and BOA and many other groups. David Maslanka is pretty adamant about not allowing his music to be arranged.

I second whoever suggested Zappa's "G-Spot Tornado," particularly since there's a wind ensemble(-ish) arrangement of it on his album "The Yellow Shark." It's wild. I'd love to hear the Blue Devils hornline tackle that fast, repetitive, downward melody.