DCA Show in Erie

Can it be done? What are these corps' doing that day anyway? The day is set aside for a show and it would be a shame for a mere extra hour and a half (on average) driving time.........I would think that the logistics are pretty much in place with that exception.

DO IT

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

a show in Erie you say?

I'll go.

Can we say "after show kegger" on my deck?????

a show in Erie you say?

I'll go.

Can we say "after show kegger" on my deck?????

Affffffpt....

Afterrrrr....

After shhhhhhh....

I guess I can't. :ninja:

PS: Hey, didn't we do that recently? What, it's been 3 years already? Time sure does fly.

Affffffpt....

Afterrrrr....

After shhhhhhh....

I guess I can't. :ninja:

PS: Hey, didn't we do that recently? What, it's been 3 years already? Time sure does fly.

Remember that storm? That was sweet

Just check those airfare prices to Erie International first. I suppose one could fly into Buffalo, Cleveland, or Pittsburgh, but then you'd have to drive a long way still. The hotels may not be able to handle all of the influx. Mr. Buell could educate us on the exact number of hotels and rooms DCA uses up in Rochester, but the list looks mighty long. As someone pointed out (and I have experienced first hand) the parking is pretty tough. I'm not sure the stadium area could absorb that number of vehicles.

The stadium is wonderful for drum corps, but DCA Finals would be a tough row to hoe. Pittsburgh would be a better locale. Even <gulp> Cleveland.

The air fares would be cheaper to fly into Buffalo, Pittsburgh or Cleveland and not into Erie but the difference isn't THAT much. Certainly cheaper than renting a car and driving now that Fuel is so high. The drive would be 1 1/2 to 2 hours from those locations. I90 or I79...Pick your poison both roads suck because of construction this time of year. hahaha

As for the hotels??? OMG!!!! We have so many to choose from. Erie hold HUGE soccer tournaments here that bring in THOUSANDS of people. There are at least (quick count from the phone book) 44 motels in the Erie area. These don't include all the Mom and Pop joints. As Gary said there are also a bunch being built.

Erie is a GREAT place to hold a large event like DCA because you have the I79 access to the south and the I90 access East and West. However, Gary is also correct about the parking situation. It is hard to park there and the walk could be long for some. I pose this question to that though. What about shuttle service from the Bayfront park and Rides to the Stadium? I don't see why that couldn't happen. Every other large event in Erie sets that up. Besides, what other purpose do those silly little trolleys have?

PITTSBURG??????? Those people come up here to enjoy the lake and get away from that city. CLEVELAND???? Ummm YUCK!

Just my 2 cents on this. Erie is alot bigger and has more to offer than a lot of people give it credit for. AND, as thovse who have been here for the past couple of shows can attest, we are GREAT hosts. Not only as a corps but as a city all the way around! We aren't some hick town!

That was a great night. The diehards stayed and watched and we all had a good time!!

Perfect examples of GREAT HOSTS!!! I can't believe how many people sat in their seats through that lightning and down pours waiting for the show to go on. INCREDIBLE!!!! :rolleyes:

The air fares would be cheaper to fly into Buffalo, Pittsburgh or Cleveland and not into Erie but the difference isn't THAT much. Certainly cheaper than renting a car and driving now that Fuel is so high. The drive would be 1 1/2 to 2 hours from those locations. I90 or I79...Pick your poison both roads suck because of construction this time of year. hahaha

As for the hotels??? OMG!!!! We have so many to choose from. Erie hold HUGE soccer tournaments here that bring in THOUSANDS of people. There are at least (quick count from the phone book) 44 motels in the Erie area. These don't include all the Mom and Pop joints. As Gary said there are also a bunch being built.

Erie is a GREAT place to hold a large event like DCA because you have the I79 access to the south and the I90 access East and West. However, Gary is also correct about the parking situation. It is hard to park there and the walk could be long for some. I pose this question to that though. What about shuttle service from the Bayfront park and Rides to the Stadium? I don't see why that couldn't happen. Every other large event in Erie sets that up. Besides, what other purpose do those silly little trolleys have?

PITTSBURG??????? Those people come up here to enjoy the lake and get away from that city. CLEVELAND???? Ummm YUCK!

Just my 2 cents on this. Erie is alot bigger and has more to offer than a lot of people give it credit for. AND, as thovse who have been here for the past couple of shows can attest, we are GREAT hosts. Not only as a corps but as a city all the way around! We aren't some hick town!

Shelly dearest..........yinz forgot the ..."H" in Pittsburgh. It's the only burg/burgh in Pa. that ends in an "H" . May not be important to you but those from.......DanTan 'nat would be very upset.

Moving right along though............Erie is a great place for a DCA show. Just not DCA Finals labor day weekend as I don't believe the stadium is large enough concert side even at 7.000 as reported. DCA pre-lims and finals really need 10-12 thousand concert side. Would really be nice though as it (Vet's Stadium) was built for DRUM CORPS' (without any aforthought) given the Super Acoustics.

I say we shoot for a DCA Regional, to be realistic. Just sayin.........

Shelly dearest..........yinz forgot the ..."H" in Pittsburgh. It's the only burg/burgh in Pa. that ends in an "H" . May not be important to you but those from.......DanTan 'nat would be very upset.

Moving right along though............Erie is a great place for a DCA show. Just not DCA Finals labor day weekend as I don't believe the stadium is large enough concert side even at 7.000 as reported. DCA pre-lims and finals really need 10-12 thousand concert side. Would really be nice though as it (Vet's Stadium) was built for DRUM CORPS' (without any aforthought) given the Super Acoustics.

I say we shoot for a DCA Regional, to be realistic. Just sayin.........

The DCA Mid-Season Showdown... The show where all the big corps could cross paths on the same night... not to mention, a show like that, there'd be no second guessing who would be the best at that point. All the corps would be judged by the same judges. It'd be interesting....

Never said you were.

If the Erie folks think that theirs is a great site for Finals, they would have looked seriously at submitting a bid. <$1 to Jeff Ream> Rochester will be finished, what, next year? So, DCA will need a new site. If it's held in Scranton again, or elsewhere similar, all that will be discussed in this forum will be how the NE keeps puttin' down the rest of DCA. Erie, at least, will be a move westward.

Besides, Erie is closer to us than Rochester, and we'll be driving right past my parents' place, so the kids can see their grands.

As for actually holding DCA in PittsburgH, as I see it, there is not really a suitable stadium. Heinz Field will be too expensive to rent for DCA (not to mention too big). Univ of Pitt Stadium is gone. Carnegie Mellon's field is too small (and no lights). While many now have turf surfaces, the local HS stadiums nearby have at least one detrimental feature: bad parking, too small or low stands. The case may be the same for Cleveland.

However, Akron might be a good alternative. It's as far west as Cleveland, only 35 miles or so (mostly interstate hwy) from the Cleveland airport, and the Univ of Akron Stadium (The Rubber Bowl) holds 35,000 people. (So figure up to 12,000 concert side seats.)