Announcer Slip-Ups

At SCV's dinner this year, I remember Dan Potter (correct name?) saying that he accidentally announced at some point that Rick Valenuzuela(sp?) was the director of SCV when it was Jeff Pearson.

Yes! I remember an announcer doing that. I don't remember where it was at, but when I heard that I was kinda confused, since I thought that Jeff was the director.

HA! I always thought that was an out there name!! It all makes sense now.

We got called "The Blue Knights Gang" somewhere in MA in 05.

That sounds like classic Paul Kane. Just guessing.

Speaking of Paul (a great guy) YOU may take the field in competition!

And, yes, those Canadian corps names threw everybody for a loop. Les Eclipse were once announced with an X-rated name. And Les Chatelaines as well. Alex Trebeck should announce all DCI shows :tongue:

02 maybe... 00? 01?

cincinnati (fairfield, oh actually) -- the announcer thought the blue knights were done, even though they had one song to go. so after the applause died down he said

"From Denver, Colorado, THE BLUE KNIGHTS!"

and then their closer started.

We actually had that happen in '87. After Autumn Leaves was done the crowd reaction was so great that the announcer thought we were done, but we still had the closer to go.

02 maybe... 00? 01?

cincinnati (fairfield, oh actually) -- the announcer thought the blue knights were done, even though they had one song to go. so after the applause died down he said

"From Denver, Colorado, THE BLUE KNIGHTS!"

and then their closer started.

Almost the same thing happenned to us at 87 DCI prelims,after the company front in Ap Spring.

Also,while in the Bushwackers at the Holyoke St Pats Parade,we were annouced as the "Singing Budweisers"(I did mention it was a St Pats parade,right?) :tongue:

I have yet to meet our hear an announcer that has pronounced Japanese names (including corps names) correctly.

Well, most announcers seem pretty clueless as to drum major names, even when they are relatively simple - the variations on Megan White were ridiculous.

However, my person favorite was at a DCM show (I think it was 01). I was with the Americanos, and we were on the field ready to go. The announcer gets on to ask if our corps was ready, she does the salute, everything is going great. Then he says, "Decorah Kilties, you are free to take the field..." Needless to say, we were all a bit shocked, and the Kilties pit members that were still moving some stuff by the gate all stopped and were shocked as well. The Kilties had been on before us, and I guess the announcer liked their name so much that he felt like calling us by their name.

in 1986 we had our memorial weekend camp somewhere in eastern PA and at the end of the weekend we did a performance for the town. They had an announcer and everything as we were leaving the field after our performance he announced us as "The Big Blue Band from Hall of Fame Land"