Cadets webcast

I've always been told if you can't say something nice... especially preseason. So on 2nd thought... post revised.

:smile:

Edited by WWonka

• Replies 130
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What am I missing here ? What is not registering in my brain, or those that create this fodder ????

Cadets brass, Cadets percussion, world class, innovative and cutting edge, worthy to be labeled the best in the world and consitently near the top or on top for over twenty years.

This silly, sophmoric narration is a theme that a grade school cast would perform in a play with a limited budget and half-commited students creating the props and the dialogue. It just doesnt fit, last year was not well received and here we are again getting not a newer or more improved version to compliment the world class corps, we are getting more trite, aggrivating schlock.

I understand fully well drum corps has evolved, it may not be for me and is aiming at another audience, but its simple, very simple, this is not anything anyone is going to drop their jaws at, run and buy a t-shirt for or remember in years to come favorably. Its not music, it doesnt highlight or compliment any talent being used on the field, and nobody asked for it or yearned for it through the years.

It has been four years now we have had to suffer through this. While I would rather not have to at all, there are (gasp!!) good examples of using amplified voice in a show if you are going to do it. For the second year in a row, the great innovators are once again lagging behind, bordering on laughable at the product they deem worthy of a world class, cutting edge marching musical unit.

Now should the narration be on the same level as the rest of the tried and true effort the rest of the corps consistently gives....who knows. This ?? Not in the same arena.

Sad.

Geoffrey

do a barrel roll!!!!

This was indeed pretty painful to sit through...

I had an entire post written up about how no one but marching band members could possibly sit through something like this without busting out laughing at the dorky absurdity of the whole thing but gave up. It is just so "un cool" that I can't even imagine showing this to one of my non-drum corps friends...embarrassing.

The sad part is you can tell they are oozing talent. The vehicle they are given to show off this talent however is laughable.

Love the Cadets, but was dissapointed with this first run through. The third section where she talks about "Looking for the man of my dreams..." and then they play a very Boston Crusader-ish type ballad just didn't flow with the rest of the show well to me. The opener and closing was awesome, just worried about whats in between for now.

it goes without saying YOU HAVEN'T EVEN SEEN IT YET!!!

Geez man / season hasn't even started yet!!!

Umm, I saw the webcast, did you ? Initial reaction based on that, after first live viewing, I will react again, if its like what I saw/heard, I will feel the same. Did you see it ? If not, why are you even posting in a topic about it ?

Geoffrey

PLEASE don't boo

I can't sit through another classless display like we saw in Pasadena without losing complete faith in this fan base known as "drum corps nuts"

"cant take" pretty dramatic. Wheres chaddyt condemning you for your drama...oh, thats right he is a Cadet defender, ie: tunnel vision.

Cadets and their programming of late has made many lose complete faith in them, so there you get both sides covered.

Geoffrey

i keep shaking my magic eight ball and it keeps coming up "massive amounts of booing in store"

PLEASE JUST PLAY!

I have spent alot of time with the Cadets over the off season and I have concerns for the great young adults in the corps and the treatment they will receive over the next couple of months. I have no doubt that they will not be received warmly by some, in fact it will probably get down right ugly at times. It will surely be another tough season to be a Cadets fan sitting in the stands bitting my tongue listening to the heckeling, rude comments, laughter and general lack of respectful behavior. Oh well, the Cadets are my favorite corps and I will stand by them and respect them no matter what!

The Cadets were 2nd last year. Just thought I would remind everyone that this type of show design is being well-received.

Hardly. Just so you know, it was performed very well, that is what could be heard of it.

Imagine if they focused more on brass and percussion and movement the times when they were concentrating on the vocals ? Wow, it would have been even greater, if that was possible.

Geoffrey

.... Your violin needs tuning my friend.

While I'm no huge fan of narration, I'm starting to find those constantly whining, bemoaning, crying and complaining about its use to be more insufferable than any talking during any show.

We get it. Your lives are ruined. Armageddon is upon the drum corps world and Hopkins himself is leading the Four Horsemen to a stadium near you to physically restrain you from getting a hot dog.

Honestly, it really is quite simple. Cadets are using narration in 08. You've had years to prepare yourself and formulate a game plan. If you are already so convinced that this year's show will suck, I suggest not being in the stadium when they perform. Get some earplugs if you can still hear them at the concession stand. Maybe look into some OTC medication to alleviate some of your pain.

I'm not sure, but I'm guessing there's probably a few ways around your "suffering".

I'll indeed be enjoying a hot dog during this performance, hoping the line isnt too long and I can attain one before the show is over. Isnt it grand though, if we didnt constantly whine, bemoan, cry, and complain, you would have nothing to do !

Funny thing is, you CHOOSE to click on and respond to us, its your choice, those that want to watch drum corps, or the Cadets have no choice, They shove it down our throats and our only alternative is to wait in that ever growing line of concession. As long as narration is riddled throughout the show, it will suck, to me, in my eyes and my opinion is as valid as yours, did you know that ? And as far as OTC medicine, Im fine, but maybe you need a hobby, that way you wont have all the free time to search out us evil Cadet criticizers and bring us to justice !!

You have been taught well......

Geoffrey

Edited by GMichael1230