Does anyone really care about Open Class?

This just reminds me that I need to meet more VK Alum...........

Clint.

Our goal is to meet up "where ever the corps is this year". Alumni who want to gather before the shows are being told to go to where the corps is being housed or rehearsing. In the parking lot for late comers. I thought that the best way for the alumni to meet was to be surrounded by the new members. Couldn't think of a more positive place.

So you want to meet more alumni, no worries here. After a while you might even be beggin' for some solace.

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Clint.

Our goal is to meet up "where ever the corps is this year". Alumni who want to gather before the shows are being told to go to where the corps is being housed or rehearsing. In the parking lot for late comers. I thought that the best way for the alumni to meet was to be surrounded by the new members. Couldn't think of a more positive place.

So you want to meet more alumni, no worries here. After a while you might even be beggin' for some solace.

Actually, I think not. :tongue:

Thanks for all of the support. I KNOW the kids love it......

Actually, I think not. :tongue:

Thanks for all of the support. I KNOW the kids love it......

And that's why we are there! I am sure that when you meet us all, not everyone is lost in the early 80's. The alumni party last year was supposed to be a Parrothead style party, so hence the Hawaiians and funny accessories. Although.... :laughing:

Love open class! When I watch an open class show it is really easy to focus on the good things happening with the kids, the improvements made over the summer, the excitement and joy eveyone on the field is feeling. Watching the world class corps I always feel like a judge, picking out things that are wrong and comparing the corps instead of just sitting back and enjoying the show.

We (Gulf Coast Sound) loved hosting Teal Sound and Revo last summer, and we get Revo back in just a few weeks! Matching our group of under-65 member DCA corps with DCI open class corps makes for a great show, the audience can see the hard work and precision of the younger group, and the fun of the older set. Plus, we get to teach the younger kids in the DCI corps how to do a real retreat :smile:

Teal Sound members in 05 got the treat of being in DCM championships. That was probably the best retreat "'block" i've ever participated in. Block is used very lightly. I remember us and Blue Stars were representing div 2.

VK being back definitely increased my interest in what is going on in open class. I'm going to take a special trip the week before finals to see VK in Ohio, then I'm hoping to see them again (semis? open finals? crosses fingers). And of course, I am looking forward to seeing the show and what the open groups come up with. I would actually try to get to more open events but work precludes it.

The quality of the material being presented is definitely entertaining and there's tons of heart in it.

• 2 weeks later...

First i would like to say that my opinions have nothing to do with my corps or any of their views.

Someone made a statement saying that World Class could survive without the Open Class corps. I disagree with this because Open Class is like the NCAA of the activity (Not saying that in a negative way because i enjoy NCAA sports more than pro). There are very few people who just roll out of bed and are good enough for a top World Class Corps. It is a great learning experience for anyone who marches, especially if performers plan on moving up to world class. I know a good number of people who auditioned for world class and were told they need more experience. Going away for a few weeks is a great way to prepare yourself for a whole summer of being on the road. Another is that just one season of open class can make you a much better and more mature performer.

I also think that open class is a little more fun to keep track of because it is very unpredictable. Yes World Class is amazing to watch, but there are always those 4 or 5 corps that are always at the top. In open it changes all the time, and you see more jumps and closer competition.