Govenaires 12:39

Chops Inc 13:00

MN Brass 12:59

Kilties 15:29

Frontier 13:01

Gulf Coast Sound 16:37

Austin Stars 15:47

High Country Brass 00:00

Those are ALL the corps west of the Mississippi (plus Brass and Kilts, but they're pretty close to it anyway), all within roughly similar drive times from Denver, CO. I was thinking a big western regional? plus, the corps coming from similar areas could maybe do a small show on the way to or back from denver...

A trip to Denver would be extremely tempting if they added a senior division to DATR. The opportunity to play for a large drum corps crowd eases the pain of traveling such a long way.

• Replies 677
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

oops! that was a typo. sorry

That's what you think. :blink:

Kidding... no seriously KIDDING!!! I couldn't resist.

On tour with Freelancers, one of our cymbal players used to convince some of the high school kids across the country that would watch our practices that we surfed to school. That was awesome.

And let's just say it was much easier to convince kids in certain parts of the country more than others.

that is a great idea. it would be nice if dca could find a place in the middle of the country and make it a mid point in the season show that north , south, eas and west could converge on and have a 10 corps slate. then everybody would travel. that way you could get some head to head.

So we'd put even more cost on everyone. Particularly the West coast corps, not only would they have to travel to finals, but to a show mid season in the middle of the US? Not seeing that happening anytime soon. Unless gas prices and bus costs magically drop. Taking 2 busses and a truck to Cali from the mid west last year cost a junior corps almost 10 grand just in fuel and vehicle costs, add too that now the cost of chartering a bus (or 2) that puts you around 15,000. And you want a corps with half the budget of a jr corps, and as many members to make that trip twice in a season? It's a great idea, don't get me wrong, I'd love to see it. Then take into account the East coast corps that don't travel much compared to everyone else. Sorry 7 hours isn't considered a long ride for most southern west coast or mid western corps. They are used to not paying as much for travel costs, and now their forced to. I'm sure they wouldn't be real happy. I am a proponent of moving finals off of the east coast though, I don't care where, just not there. Sorry folks, just not a fan of Rochester. It's a personal opinion so don't jump on me, I'm just not a fan of the soccer field, the bad weather (except last year) the availability (or lack of) decent practice facilities and the lack really of anything to do. Nice people, pretty scenery, but I'd like to see it in Chicago, or St Louis, San Diego, San Francisco, even the NY area if we had to leave it out east. I know cost and availability play a major role in picking the venue, but Rochester? Really? I'm new to DCA so I don't know where it's been before. But I do hope we can find a more central location in the future for the sake of the corps that aren't on the East cost.

7 hours is a long ride? Really? This southern/central corps would consider that 1/2 way there

Except for a show we host, and a show hosted by Gulf Coast Sound, the next closest DCA show is 14-18 hours

And we Support a Denver show if HCB is able to get one together. I would love to see an afternoon show happen the day after DATR (esp if the All-age corps who are DCI evaluated did the Denver show). Or, we would go any other time. HCB supported us by coming to our show, so we will gladly return the favor when the opportunity arises

So we'd put even more cost on everyone. Particularly the West coast corps, not only would they have to travel to finals, but to a show mid season in the middle of the US? Not seeing that happening anytime soon. Unless gas prices and bus costs magically drop. Taking 2 busses and a truck to Cali from the mid west last year cost a junior corps almost 10 grand just in fuel and vehicle costs, add too that now the cost of chartering a bus (or 2) that puts you around 15,000. And you want a corps with half the budget of a jr corps, and as many members to make that trip twice in a season? It's a great idea, don't get me wrong, I'd love to see it. Then take into account the East coast corps that don't travel much compared to everyone else. Sorry 7 hours isn't considered a long ride for most southern west coast or mid western corps. They are used to not paying as much for travel costs, and now their forced to. I'm sure they wouldn't be real happy. I am a proponent of moving finals off of the east coast though, I don't care where, just not there. Sorry folks, just not a fan of Rochester. It's a personal opinion so don't jump on me, I'm just not a fan of the soccer field, the bad weather (except last year) the availability (or lack of) decent practice facilities and the lack really of anything to do. Nice people, pretty scenery, but I'd like to see it in Chicago, or St Louis, San Diego, San Francisco, even the NY area if we had to leave it out east. I know cost and availability play a major role in picking the venue, but Rochester? Really? I'm new to DCA so I don't know where it's been before. But I do hope we can find a more central location in the future for the sake of the corps that aren't on the East cost.

in time, as the fan base outside the NE grows, i think you will see it move.

dca has been held in bridgeport,jersey city, allentown, philly,rochester. it has always made the most money in rochester. i think that's why as a city it's been there more then anyplace else. if drum corps survies these gas prices and more corps from the west and midwest compete it may move farther west. i said may.

FYI... Here's one last "good luck" to the 17 corps on the field this weekend! I'm in one of them, and I probably won't get on here to update the standings until, you guessed it, Monday.

If any of you drum corps nuts are in St. Peter, look for me at Patrick's. I'm the guy from Chops with the cute-as-hell baby (most likely also in Chops apparel).

:blink:

I'm all for initiaiting kids into the clan...but Matt..Is it really safe to bring your youngin' into "Mayer's House of Pain" ? :blink:

JUST KIDDING!!

See you at the show..or at Patrick's...or elsewhere in Petertown.. :blink:

Pat

If any of you drum corps nuts are in St. Peter, look for me at Patrick's. I'm the guy from Chops with the cute-as-hell baby (most likely also in Chops apparel).

John Mayer has reserved a bar stool for me at 8PM this evening. :blink:

Look for the dude that looks just like the dude in the avatar. :blink:

FYI... Here's one last "good luck" to the 17 corps on the field this weekend! I'm in one of them, and I probably won't get on here to update the standings until, you guessed it, Monday.

I can't wait to see what the 2 Show Minnesota weekend does to the standings.

Watch out to the mosquitos up there.