Toledo Tavern

Not really because they have different judges at different shows and in my experience, I have found that in certain places, your score could be higher or lower.

That's odd, professional sporting teams play in different venues and different set of referees and they are compared to each other.

George, I know. I guess this past 8 years of drum corps and all the #### they claim under the name of education has soured me on what was once a great organization and family event. I purposely didn't go to Toledo, nor will go to Port Huron, because of it.

Edited by sburstall

• Replies 295
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

This is why I'm sooooo happy they're putting it on the Fan Network.

We're certainly getting our money's worth this year. BRAVO DCI

Agree. Kudos to DCI for Fan Network. It's a GREAT idea. I love the clips, interviews, live shows, etc..... and to go back, watch and listen to the DCI Corps from the past is sheer heaven imho.

Edited by BRASSO

I wonder when the last time was the BC beat Cadets in visual? Congrats to Boston.

Im gonna guess 2003.... everyone beat us in visual and brass at some point in 03, then we wound up mostly on top in those captions at finals :lookaround:

That's odd, professional sporting teams play in different venues and different set of referees and they are compared to each other.

And everyone thought the Lakers would beat the Celtics, until they finally got into the same venue and played against each other directly. :lookaround:

I'm not saying any more, because Steve, I know you know better than this, and are just trying to be a contrarian where all things DCI are concerned. Keep it up, and I'll start calling you Skip Bayless. :thumbup:

And everyone thought the Lakers would beat the Celtics, until they finally got into the same venue and played against each other directly. :lookaround:

I'm not saying any more, because Steve, I know you know better than this, and are just trying to be a contrarian where all things DCI are concerned. Keep it up, and I'll start calling you Skip Bayless. :thumbup:

My freaking point exactly! THANK YOU MATT.

I haven't bothered to go back and read every last post since before I left for the show... so if I'm just repeating a lot of what others have said, forgive me. Here are my thoughts about the show.

First off...

Whitmer Stadium: DOWNGRADE SUPREME!!!! As a resident of the Toledo area, and a student at UT, I can't believe this was the location of the show. Were there no other choices for a field? During intermission, I went to the restroom and was greeted by a lovely layer of water all over the floor. Is there no drainage in this place? This has less to do with the stadium and more to do with the neighborhood, but there were many instances of car alarms, sirens, and general street noise that get in the way of the performances. I can't wait for Rocket Stadium to be back in functioning order.

Pioneer: While I love this corp they need some serious work. After the lacking performance by the Empire Statesman we really needed a pick-me-up and they did not provide it. The strongest section of this corps is obviously the battery. Front ensemble is not bad but the arrangements are not interesting or challenging enough to keep you glued to them. Hornline seems very young... across the board the higher brass need some maturity and strength behind their playing. There were times when the entire high brass section seemed to be dropping out. Color guard had a few nice moments but over all the book is not captivating. All in all, they have plenty of room to grow on cleanliness wise, but unless they get some overhauling with the show design I don't see them moving up. Side note: the mirrored props were not okay. Across the entire stadium people were blinded from those things.

Troop: I have never really been a big Troopers fan, mainly because I don't really like the whole Americana thing... but I must say I really enjoyed the musical selections for this show. First big POWER BRASS moment of the night came from them. They are very stacked with their hornline. Again however, the sopranos were the down-fall. They simply need to blend during less than forte moments and they will be much improved. The Drumline was very amusing and provided a much needed energy boost. Color guard simply needs more members. The work is okay but there needs to be more bodies on the field to actually make a statement.

Crossmen: After listening to the midi file of the opener a few months ago, I was very excited to see this show, and I have to say I was not dissapointed. The drill was hard to read because of its dirtiness, but I really dug the arrangments for Planet X and totally got all of the X references. The guard kicked it at the beginning of the show. Side Bar: at the end of the ballad, for humor purposes, they need to add the 5 note motif from the X-files theme before the transition. Someone right next to me wistled it and it fit rather well.

Boston: Boston REALLY brought it tonight. I'm not going to lie, I was not looking forward to this show after the Picasso thing from last year, but I must say, I really dug everything about this show; even the guard unis. First of all, brass line stuck it. Yes there were some moments of erck but for a first performance they were confident and strong and really brought the drum corps roar that I love. I'll be honest, I didn't really pay too close attention to the drumline because the Color Guard rocked their #### tonight. If CG was judged tonight I honestly think they could have placed close if not at the top. Some fantastic moments from the visual program as well as the musical. Easily my favorite BAC show since BRAVO! I had them a little higher (by a few tenths) tonight, but mostly, I do agree with their score. This is a big potential show; they simply need to clean it and max it out and they could get back into the top 6. Favorite corps of the night.

Bluecoats: Let's get this straight... I love the bluecoats. They were the only reason I decided to spend the money on fuel and tickets to come to this show. Sadly, I was not overwhelmed with the performance of this show. After all of the hype it has been getting on this site I expected to be blown away, and I wasn't. First off... I know that the guard was not using show silks, and I pray they will have a better solution for those double sided silks, but come on... they were a travesty. The added weight of those flags caused so many problems it was difficult to watch. After reading on this site that the guard was leaps better than last year I had very high expectations, and they were not fulfilled. I have been going to the Toledo show for the last 7 years and I do not remember the guard ever having so many difficulties in one show. The big problem with last year's show was that the guard barely had any work for the first few weeks. But they eventually got it and were pretty good even at the beginning. Tonight, while they did have probably 85% of the work learned, they were just not ready for this performance. On a positive note: the guard unis are very nice. I found them appropriate, flattering, and workable without being kitchy. What carried this corps tonight was the brassline and the drumline. Drums were fantastic for a first show. The confidence OOZED off of them. My only complaint is this: YOUR DRUMLINE IS SO F***ING GOOD... WHY MAKE THEM STAND ON THE SIDELINE FOR SO LONG!?!?!?! Brassline was very strong especially during their acapella left side sideline fanfare moment. Very, Very impressive. I'm hoping the problems from tonight were merely first show jitters. They have SOOOO much potential with this program.

Caaaadets: I'm only 21 years old and I thought I could grasp anything; for goodness sakes I LOVED the 2006 show; but honestly, I don't get this program. Yes... the execution is good. Yes... the arrangements are nice. Yes... they should have won. However, this show is so forced I couldn't imagine it being any more contrived. From the soap opera drama happening in the center of the field, to the money printed flags, to the smiley face drill, I just couldn't get behind this show. I've listened to the brass and drumline recordings (sans narration) and I was really looking forward to seeing it live. There is so much talking however, you really miss out on some awesome front ensemble pieces. Who knows... maybe I'm just being overzealous, and the show really was better than I remember, but there needs to be some serious cuts to those words before I want to see this again.

Glassmen: I had them placed higher in the scoring. Minus those trunks on the field, I REALLY enjoyed this show. I thought it was a great move for the Gmen. My problem with the trunks is this: What do they mean? The limited interaction with them makes them more of a nuisance than an intersting prop. Guard was FANTASTIC for a first showing. They had numerous, wonderful moments. There were times that the equipment book was a little less challenging but still, they made a perfect ending to the night. I'm still humming parts of that show in my head right now.

Thanks for a review. I am dying to see these shows!

Skip Bayless? I don't get it. Who or what is that?