and what are the drum line numbersssss?

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

From a member viewpoint that is taking a season off, and seeing the guard uniforms for the first time Saturday night: I LOVED THEM.

I'm no expert, but I see those uniforms as "painting a modern, avant garde picture of Spain". It is after all, a Spanish Fantasy. Try to suspend your conventional way of thinking and look into another frequency of thought if you will.

You don't have to like these uniforms, but you do have to respect the fact that Caballeros color guard will be a contender all season long.

CABALLERO PRIDE!

Laura,

Please note that there hasn't been any criticism of the guard's talent or their work, but rather their uniforms/costumes. In fact, in my case I didn't even get to see them on the field. I only saw the uniforms as we were going onto the field.

My earlier post - the reference to "Ninjas on LSD' - was merely a comment made by an audience member that I overheard. And there were others in a similar vein. My concern, therefore, becomes, "If we aren't playing to the audience, then who are we attempting to entertain?" In other words, "If the audience doesn't get it....."

And while I have absolutely no doubts that the guard will be a contender in its caption all season, I just have to wonder whether their uniforms/costumes will be a help or a hindrance in their efforts.

Andy

Cabs and Bucs both fielded 9 snares and 5 bass. Bucs had 5 tenors, Cabs had 4. Both have about a dozen in the pit. Bucs also have a half-dozen marching cymbals.

What about Fusion and Bush?

Do Cabs have a cymbal line this year?

Laura,

Please note that there hasn't been any criticism of the guard's talent or their work, but rather their uniforms/costumes. In fact, in my case I didn't even get to see them on the field. I only saw the uniforms as we were going onto the field.

My earlier post - the reference to "Ninjas on LSD' - was merely a comment made by an audience member that I overheard. And there were others in a similar vein. My concern, therefore, becomes, "If we aren't playing to the audience, then who are we attempting to entertain?" In other words, "If the audience doesn't get it....."

And while I have absolutely no doubts that the guard will be a contender in its caption all season, I just have to wonder whether their uniforms/costumes will be a help or a hindrance in their efforts.

Andy

Same here. No criticism intended whatsoever; just wondering what the thought was behind the new costumes.

One other thing, the show is titled Sketches of Spain, not Spanish Fantasy.

I'm no expert, but I see those uniforms as "painting a modern, avant garde picture of Spain". It is after all, a Spanish Fantasy. Try to suspend your conventional way of thinking and look into another frequency of thought if you will.

Kind of how I saw it too. The name of the show is Sketches of Spain. To me, right there it requires the art of Spain to be included, as well as the music. Then the description of the show tells us we are going to revisit some Spanish favorites, 21st century style. You don't have to know a whole lot about modern Spanish art, just a couple names most people are familiar with - Picasso, Dali - to begin to "get it." Did I like the costumes? Nope. I like red. Sue me. Did I get it? In as much as anyone ever "gets" modern art, I'd have to say yes. As I said, over where I sat, there were questions about what Indians had to do with the Pursuit of Joy too. I wasn't having any trouble with that either, except, as I already mentioned...I like red. :tongue:

Stan,

I am not sure what show you were watching but I have a totally different view.....

Fusion Core...for a corps that did a partial show it was WAY TOO LONG and the colorguard made my eyes bleed!!! (Maybe the tempos were off - seemed like they were on the field forever).

Bucs - I really enjoyed this show! I do not often like the book they choose, but I really liked this one. They actually played music you could leave the stadium humming - thank you for the enjoyment you provided. Talented guard - hornline REALLY needs to work on their feet - but it's early yet.

Bush - can't review - went to the rest room.

Cabs - Show seemed a little long to me - did recognize spots of the music. The pinwheel was a MASSACRE!!! Gotta work on that folks! Guard uni's - only thing I can figure is that they are trying to bring a "Picasso touch" to the show (but it came across as a bad Spiderman look to those sitting by me). I certainly would have thought long and hard before I put a uniform like that on the DCA field! It may be more acceptable in DCI....just my thought...

Surf - they are showing a lot of promise this year (again). I like the book as I can recognize the tunes, and I recognize that they still need to work on show concept. Strong hornline, guard showing promise...I know nothing about percussion so someone else will have to discuss that topic.

Cabs Alumni - what can you say about them except that they are the originators of Alumi Corps but still on the field TOO long!

As far as how the show was run....I did not appreciate driving three hours to get to the show and when looking for a restroom was treated VERY RUDELY by the people at the gate...guess some things never change.

Please Stan, I am not disagreeing with you or looking to get flamed....just putting out another point of view.

Stan,

I am not sure what show you were watching but I have a totally different view.....

Fusion Core...for a corps that did a partial show it was WAY TOO LONG and the colorguard made my eyes bleed!!! (Maybe the tempos were off - seemed like they were on the field forever).

Bucs - I really enjoyed this show! I do not often like the book they choose, but I really liked this one. They actually played music you could leave the stadium humming - thank you for the enjoyment you provided. Talented guard - hornline REALLY needs to work on their feet - but it's early yet.

Bush - can't review - went to the rest room.

Cabs - Show seemed a little long to me - did recognize spots of the music. The pinwheel was a MASSACRE!!! Gotta work on that folks! Guard uni's - only thing I can figure is that they are trying to bring a "Picasso touch" to the show (but it came across as a bad Spiderman look to those sitting by me). I certainly would have thought long and hard before I put a uniform like that on the DCA field! It may be more acceptable in DCI....just my thought...

Surf - they are showing a lot of promise this year (again). I like the book as I can recognize the tunes, and I recognize that they still need to work on show concept. Strong hornline, guard showing promise...I know nothing about percussion so someone else will have to discuss that topic.

Cabs Alumni - what can you say about them except that they are the originators of Alumi Corps but still on the field TOO long!

As far as how the show was run....I did not appreciate driving three hours to get to the show and when looking for a restroom was treated VERY RUDELY by the people at the gate...guess some things never change.

Please Stan, I am not disagreeing with you or looking to get flamed....just putting out another point of view.

wow - what was it about fusion's color guard that you didn't like? and they were actually UNDERtime

wish i could have seen surf

.... As I said, over where I sat, there were questions about what Indians had to do with the Pursuit of Joy too. I wasn't having any trouble with that either, except, as I already mentioned...I like red. :tongue:

Indians in Pursuit of Joy???? Am I missing something?