Laura,

Please note that there hasn't been any criticism of the guard's talent or their work, but rather their uniforms/costumes. In fact, in my case I didn't even get to see them on the field. I only saw the uniforms as we were going onto the field.

My earlier post - the reference to "Ninjas on LSD' - was merely a comment made by an audience member that I overheard. And there were others in a similar vein. My concern, therefore, becomes, "If we aren't playing to the audience, then who are we attempting to entertain?" In other words, "If the audience doesn't get it....."

And while I have absolutely no doubts that the guard will be a contender in its caption all season, I just have to wonder whether their uniforms/costumes will be a help or a hindrance in their efforts.

Andy

I was in no way condemning you or anyone else for their opinion> as I've already seen that my own opinion is actually worthless. :laughing:

See ya'll in Bridgeport.

Same here. No criticism intended whatsoever; just wondering what the thought was behind the new costumes.

One other thing, the show is titled Sketches of Spain, not Spanish Fantasy.

It seems the costumes had the desired effect. While certainly shocking , "Ninjas on LSD" is à propos of the Spanish/Catalan Modernist/Surrealism style. Miro and Gaudi come to mind right away. One might certainly accuse these of being so bizarre and organic as to conclude an altered mental state. "Sketches of Spain" seems to be just that; colorful, organic, bizarre and intriguing! Bravo!

Thanks Jeff.

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

as a guardie IMO i don't think the unis are a good fit for the show. to me they don't enhance the show concept but distract from whatever the rest of the corps is doing out on the field, both playing & drill-wise. i personally think that something like that would work in a winterguard setting much better because that is a time when your attention is solely focused on the guard & their show.

please don't misunderstand me and think that i fall into the thinking that guard was best when they had similar uniforms to the corps proper and were just there on the outskirts of the drill to accent the corps' performance with visual presentation. i do not. guards are in integral part of every show being done today. they are what tells the story behind the music visually. one part without the other is incomplete IMO. i realize that the music, the drill, the guard all complimenting each other is a fine line. in this case i feel like the guard's new cutting edge uniforms took the focus completely off of the other elements. maybe as the season continues my opinion on that will change.

Saw that, and I agree completely as someone who wore that uniform.

What about Fusion and Bush?

Do Cabs have a cymbal line this year?

To answer your question, we are currently marching 5 snares, 1 tenor, 5 bass, and 8 in the pit. We have one tenor opening and we're looking for a marimba player.

The administration of Fusion Core made improving the percussion section a priority in 2008, and so far it's going well. We believed in our members so much that they are featured in every song and actually begin the show with a layered feature that builds "momentum".

cool things :)

wish i could see some pictures though!

My biggest problem with saturday's show was the guy walking around in a Crossmen Aussie, Uniform Top, Shorts and Sneakers.

Very disrespectful to a proud organization.

I did not see this person. Did he make it himself or does it look like original stuff.

But I know there is a guy that is a little different and last year at one show he was dressed up like sort of like a bridgemen this was at the clifton show. I know someone said the year before he dressed in a different corps uniform. So If it is the same Guy well I don't think it is a disrepect thing. Its more of a person that is different. One who does not realize he is disrepecting anyone. Just wanting to be part of it and playing dress up. The stuff he had on in clifton looks like he made on his own.

I don't know I guess I am just different when I see something like that I don't immediately think the person is disrepectful unless the person seems to be fully aware and mentially with it. So if it is the guy from Clifton well maybe you will see him in a different light. & be thankful that you are not different

I'm really sorry that I didn't see the person. Steps would have been taken to insure that any disrespect ceased. We insured that all of our members conduct themselves with respect for the uniform and traditions of all drum corps and the Crossmen in particular. What concerns me the most is that an individual has an aussie and tunic and is making himself a disgrace.

Can anyone tell me if it was one of our uniform tops and if the aussie had the ironcross on the flap?

Thanks for any help on this.

I did not see this person. Did he make it himself or does it look like original stuff.

But I know there is a guy that is a little different and last year at one show he was dressed up like sort of like a bridgemen this was at the clifton show. I know someone said the year before he dressed in a different corps uniform. So If it is the same Guy well I don't think it is a disrepect thing. Its more of a person that is different. One who does not realize he is disrepecting anyone. Just wanting to be part of it and playing dress up. The stuff he had on in clifton looks like he made on his own.

I don't know I guess I am just different when I see something like that I don't immediately think the person is disrepectful unless the person seems to be fully aware and mentially with it. So if it is the guy from Clifton well maybe you will see him in a different light. & be thankful that you are not different

I don't know, I only saw him from the opposite side.

Are you following the long tradition of when the Aussie goes on, no one talks?