The Port Huron Pub

I am curious though, what does the A stand for in the Bac?

It stands for Boston Area Crusaders. Back in the day almost all of the corps members were from Boston. Then as other coprs folded members started coming from different parts of the Boston Area. Therefore, Boston Area Crusaders (now this is the very short version of the story.) Now there have been other meanings attached to the "A" in BAC and there was a time way back when they really did live up to this attached meaning. :laughing: At this point in history it is just a beloved nickname for them. Kind of like "Cavies", "Bloooooo...". "Devils", etc.

I don't think you offended anyone here. I admire your passion for wanting to promote what really is most important. I just didn't want anyone here to go away thinking that BAC (or specifically Drumcorps Mom) is out "to get" anyone. If there is a corps that just goes out there to please the auduience, it is BAC. I too think this is a hoot and you will find many different people, from many different backgrounds, from many different age groups with many different oppinions. Thus, the reason DCP exists. It absolutely thrives on controversy. So, welcome from the land of lurking, I really do wish you, your child and your corps the best of luck this season.

• Replies 203
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm pretty sure they already have something like that in place, however...

"Technological limitations at some venues may cause a minimal delay in releasing this information. "

last night the scores were on dci.org BEFORE the announcer even announced all the scores.

Last time I was in Port Huron (last week) they do have electricity and internet access. The schools were just updated last year. DCI has no excuse.

It stands for Boston Area Crusaders. Back in the day almost all of the corps members were from Boston. Then as other coprs folded members started coming from different parts of the Boston Area. Therefore, Boston Area Crusaders (now this is the very short version of the story.) Now there have been other meanings attached to the "A" in BAC and there was a time way back when they really did live up to this attached meaning. :laughing: At this point in history it is just a beloved nickname for them. Kind of like "Cavies", "Bloooooo...". "Devils", etc.

I don't think you offended anyone here. I admire your passion for wanting to promote what really is most important. I just didn't want anyone here to go away thinking that BAC (or specifically Drumcorps Mom) is out "to get" anyone. If there is a corps that just goes out there to please the auduience, it is BAC. I too think this is a hoot and you will find many different people, from many different backgrounds, from many different age groups with many different oppinions. Thus, the reason DCP exists. It absolutely thrives on controversy. So, welcome from the land of lurking, I really do wish you, your child and your corps the best of luck this season.

Thanks for the info. I just could not come up with anything for the a. Had not taken the time to go to their site and read the history of the group. I do like to do that for all groups during the off season. Better check and make sure I haven't double booked us for any of the numerous hotels for the summer.

TaTa for now.

Wow honestly the Cavies hornline already sounds better than last year.

I'm going to burst some bubbles and be brutally honest. They sound that good because their horn book is EASY. Demand-wise, Bluecoats have them beat by a mile, and there really isn't that much visual demand on the field that affects the sound or the playing either. I said in my review that this show barely grabbed my attention. Aside from the lip bend passages, I'd say that there is nothing in the Cavies horn book so far that a HIGH SCHOOL BAND couldn't do just as well as Cavies are doing right now.

I'm going to burst some bubbles and be brutally honest. They sound that good because their horn book is EASY. Demand-wise, Bluecoats have them beat by a mile, and there really isn't that much visual demand on the field that affects the sound or the playing either. I said in my review that this show barely grabbed my attention. Aside from the lip bend passages, I'd say that there is nothing in the Cavies horn book so far that a HIGH SCHOOL BAND couldn't do just as well as Cavies are doing right now.

We get it. You don't like the show.

But they're still really great. :laughing:

Edited by i_play_percussion

Boston is steadily going up every night. Good score for Bluecoats. Awesome score for Cavies. I am sure I will get a play-by-play from my son.

Extra Practice time doesn't always show up the day it occurs. Practice is all about training the muscles and sometimes things that you have been working on take a day or two to show up! If Boston keeps it up...based on what I have seen they should keep on climbing this year!

I would have taken your post seriously, if it werent for the last sentence. Honestly, your critique sounds like something I might say, but I doubt I would go that far...

Oh please... look, you don't have to like the Cavaliers. No one will force that on you. But to say their horn book has no difficulty to it whatsoever and any high school band could play it is just ridiculous and you know it. I've seen a video of this show and know for a fact that an assessment like that is FAR from the truth. :laughing:

oops....i just watched a 2:30 video of their show (somehow) and 90% of their playing was standing still, and broken up by drum pit breaks every 16 counts. There was only about 45 seconds of playing total....maybe. I'm not dumb enough to assume their entire show will be this way, but maybe it will be. I'm hoping I just saw a drum solo section or something.... I'd love to enjoy a cavies show for the first time since 03 or 04....

oops....i just watched a 2:30 video of their show (somehow) and 90% of their playing was standing still, and broken up by drum pit breaks every 16 counts. There was only about 45 seconds of playing total....maybe. I'm not dumb enough to assume their entire show will be this way, but maybe it will be. I'm hoping I just saw a drum solo section or something.... I'd love to enjoy a cavies show for the first time since 03 or 04....

There's more playing than that... I think what you saw was the end of their show. It will probably be changed by the end of the year to be better and all of that….

There are plenty of difficult passages for the brass, but there are TONS of percussion features and the pit contributes to the sound of the show. I think the brass has some difficult double tonguing in the show and runs. A LOT of what they do works for the type of music they're trying to present, which is Asian music. It's not the most brass laden stuff, I guess. Sorry, the people who haven't liked the show so far don't like it, but the show just oozes sophistication and there's no doubt that it's championship caliber even at this point in the year. The music is NOT easy and not just amy high school band could do this show. Well, maybe with electronics, but I digress.... The show music sounds just as difficult as their 2000, 2001, & 2002 shows. The quality of the sounds remind me of 2002 very much....

:laughing:

Edited by jjeffeory