Stillwater Mini Review

Here's a quick snapshot of the D1 corps at Stillwater.

The show itself was, as usual, pretty tremendous. Sold out crowd (~4000) plus several hundred general admission (backside) tickets. Beautiful, warm weather and a terrific line up. I'm afraid I won't say anything about the all-age corps or the Colt Cadets cause I didn't see their shows. I'm also not going to bother with much by way of critiquing performance because it's so early. Yes, everyone has lots of cleaning to do!

Blue Stars

I really enjoyed this concept show. "Le Tour" is about the Tour de France and it feels really well put together. The entire color guard is in biking outfits that look sharp and fit the program. The show opens with the whole corps in the side one end zone, stretching and warming up until they take off for the race. The music is warm and beautiful, with lots of tunes everyone will recognize. Rumor has it the corps is very very young and if so they must be very pleased with how solid things are at this point. I think a lot of fans will enjoy this show and it appears to offer the members and the creative team lots of fun areas to grow as the season progresses.

Madison Scouts

No doubt others have already commented on Madison's new uniforms. At first I really didn't care for them. They're very very dark. The black pants and field-colored jackets appears to make the corps look rather dull. I will say that there are a few moments where the look is very effective--rather classy and foreboding. The deep red drums also look gorgeous against this back drop. Perhaps the look will grow on me. The show itself was pretty rough. The music sounds very dark and perhaps felt more so since most of the it was unfamiliar to me. The color guard appeared to my non-color-guard eye to be rather weak (few impact moments, tosses or excitement). The drill has some cool stuff going on and I think they'll get some good response to those moments, but unfortunatley overall this show felt flat to me.

Blue Knights

I didn't understand this show at all. Normally I feel like I don't quite get a Blue Knights show until the third or fourth read but this year . . . I can't even remember much of what I saw. As usual there are gorgeous silks with high impact moments. As usual the corps plays a challenging book well. But for the life of me I can't tell you a single helpful thing about this show.

Colts

Colts show, "Night and Day" is nicely but together. It's got some lovely music and effective visual elements to bring across the rather straightforward theme. The music is very accessible and appropriate; the flags and drill are full of sun and moon images. Again it seems like there's a nice palette for the corps to work with and plenty of areas to continue to grow.

Carolina Crown

There was a distinct step change as we headed into the last two corps of the evening. (Crown actually performed last.) Carolina Crown's show is going to be a real crowd pleaser. It's exciting, beautiful and completely accessible. Lots of gorgeous symmetrical drill and fun general effect moments. The music is all classical stuff everyone knows. The concept for the show, however, struck me as a little problemeatic. It's a greatest hits of classical endings. And, particularly for the closer, it can feel a little hokey to have so many huge themes thrown at you all at once. Honestly, the last one minute includes the 1812 Overture, Appalachain Spring and the final chords to the Hallelujah chorus. Personally I think I would have enjoyed just ONE ending done well rather than flying through three endings. But hey, a lot of people will love this and there's no doubt it's a fun show. I look forward to seeing it again. Crown also did the encore (which I wasn't able to stay for) and it was all non-show music that the crowd loved.

Phantom Regiment

I have never seen the 'original' 70s Spartacus show but I've heard about it for decades. This year's show is thrilling, dramatic and absolutely riveting to watch. I'm very excited by the potential Regiment has shown with this production. This is a very literal telling of the Spartacus story (Slaves! Revolt! Love! Murder!) and it helps to have that basic story arc in mind as you watch the show. The music is dark and powerful. My one quibble is with the drill writing which once again leaves me flat. Seems like there are many more moments for visual impact but usually it's just the color guard carrying all the visual weight. There's some great interaction between the brass and the color guard and, I won't spoil it, but the murder scene really is quite dramatic! This will be a fun one to watch.

Well . . . there ya have it. Hope it's helpful.

Edited by MBIBari

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Excellent review! Very non-partisan. Good job.

Thanks for the review.

I really like the direction the Carolina Crown has taken over the last few years. Their recent shows the last few years seem much more audience accessible than earlier editions.

Not sure what happened to my thread I started the other day, but that's ok. I'll post my Stillwater, MN Drum Beauty review here.

I'll start by saying that I agree pretty much with what MBIBari stated above.

Next I'll preface my comments with two disclaimers.

1) I know it was only the 2nd show of the season for the majority of the season (some their first)

2) I haven't seen a live show since I volunteered with the Cavaliers in '03 season.

3) I didn't count how many horns, percussion, guard members there were, yes, there were holes, but come on, it's only the 2nd show of the season!!!

so, with that....

The Collision of the Champions

Drum Beauty

Senior Division

Chops, Inc.

3rd Score: 61.125

IMG_0880.JPG

I was pleasantly surprised for the small size and early start to their season, the powerful sound from this small corps. Even though there were some paraphrasing that was off just enough, they were pleasantly surprising to me with marching, and a full sound.

Govenaires

2nd Score: 64.625

House of the Rising Sun

IMG_0881.JPG

As much as the hype was with them psyching up the crowd, I was a little let down with them. Another small corps, but many were out of step...even the drummers, and lots of timing issues. It felt that some of the sops were pushing a little too hard when they didn't need to, but their drunk theme was pretty hilarious and the crowd enjoyed it.

Minnesota Brass

1st Score: 72.750

Obsession

IMG_0882.JPG

Great stage presence, not a full corps, but definitely have time to recruit more. Awesome sound and power. Had to remember that I was watching a 'senior' corps rather than a 'junior' corps. I would look forward to seeing MN Brass again later in the season. Just goes to show that you DO NOT need Amps in drum corps (more on this later) I was actually wanting a little more in their ending. Hopefully they can work on their stamina to continue their greatness all the way to the finish line! Great job!!!

Open Division

Colt Cadets

1st Score: 55.000

New American Signatures

IMG_0883.JPG

Great to see a cadet corps still marching. I wish there were more cadets corps other than Colts, SCV Cadets and BD Cadets....We need more to help develop our young youth who just sit around during the summer and play video games.....ANYWAY, I was pleased to watch this young corps perform. They did an awesome job and really kept the crowd wanting more. I'm not going to talk about the musicianship because for these young performers to get out and do what they do....I think they were unbelievable! I know these kids will mature along with the show...ones I wouldn't mind seeing again later on in the season!

World Class

Blue Stars

6th Score: 64.00

Le Tour...Every Second Counts

IMG_0885.JPG

Seeing the guard in their bicycling uniforms actually brought me back to '03 with the Cavaliers and Spin Cycle. (no, the guard Uni's weren't bright neon green/yellow) But they were very nice uniforms that complimented the corps. I will say that as long as they start after the intermission, they will be just fine. It took them nearly the full 10 minutes to setup their equipment...including amps, and stage screens. The color of the flags were very pretty, and went well with the guards uniforms. I was pleased to see this corps.

Madison Scouts

5th Score: 64.10

Le Noche de la Iguana

IMG_0886.JPG

I really enjoyed the new uniforms. They looked like the old Boy Scout uniforms from back in the day. I enjoyed their colors, from the flags, to the dark red drums which went well with the uniforms. It is sad to see my distant brothers performing so badly. Obviously they were the crowd favorites, but there was just one sound from them....loud. I'm no marching tech, or music tech, but you could definitely see and hear a lot of bad mistakes. YES, I know, it's only their 2nd show of the season, but come on, I want the Scouts from 20 years ago!!! I don't think they remember who they are because they keep changing their identity every couple of years. Come on boys, get back to basics!!! Marching style was different from member to member....sounded like the music style was different from member to member too. I would like to see them at the end of the season. I just wish they would get the basics done first instead of worrying about a straight corps line in a drill. Once you learn the basics, then the straight corps line will just fall into place.

Blue Knights

4th Score: 65.30

Knight Reign

IMG_0890.JPG

Very interesting start. Almost didn't realize they had started until there was movement in the corps. Very sloppily executed, but obviously, it's only the 2nd show. All of a sudden out of no where, the Contras are bellowing pedal tones and it really gets the crowd excited, very interesting concept. Liked the guard uniforms, very colorful...Blue Knight style all around. This will be one show that can mature, but like MBIBrass said, it's forgettable.

Colts

3rd Score: 65.50

Night and Day

IMG_0889.JPG

Enjoyed the uniforms. Very energetic and full of sounds. Had a baton flying around...just doesn't work for me. I'd rather see a sabre or rifle being tossed, not a baton. Leave that for the majorettes or High School. Enjoyed their full sound, definitely not he Colts from yesteryear! Liked the theme, the flags represented the time of day very well.

Carolina Crown

2nd Score: 70.70

Finis

IMG_0892.JPG

Even though Crown performed last, they were my 2nd WOW factor of the evening. From the starting line just a full great sound for at least a minute. I enjoyed their show tremendously, and look forward to seeing this show mature and get tighter. There was one contra who slipped, causing another contra to fall, but they both got up and got back into place. The crowd was 'oh'ing' and a few gasps as the snare line was barreling down on the two fallen contra's. Maybe they could write that into the show? over all I really enjoyed their show and look forward to seeing it later in the summer.

Phantom Regiment

1st Score: 73.60

Spartacus

IMG_0891.JPG

Phantom gave me the first WOW of the evening. Their powerful hornline and full low brass sound is always a treat (always has been for me) Even though I still can't pull myself to see males in the PR Guard, however, tonight possibly changed that mood for me. They gave a very domineering presence on the field, and it was very well put together. For only their 2nd night performing for an audience, I was really impressed. well, until they murdered one of the guard members on the 50....that was a little disturbing and unexpected...but hey, it's drum corps! Although, there are two questions that still remain...Who really is Spartacus, and should they Live...or...DIE!

I really enjoyed last nights performances. I think I was more impressed with the Colt Cadets because of the age and the field presence when they performed. I DID NOT like the fact that all of the World corps had Amps. Nor did I like that the "Amp Person" was not dressed up. The Amp person remained at the Amp and kept trying to adjust the sound which to me was annoying. I do hope that for the regionals, these "Amp Persons" will at least dress up in better attire....besides, just like I said for the Minnesota Brass, Real Drum corps don't need Amps to make a point.

"Is it soup yet?"

"No, it's still water". :tongue::tongue::worthy:

Got to say it at least once a year.

Great review and pictures. Thank you. One thing we discussed while driving home was "there was NO narration" for any of the shows. The shows didn't need it ... and it was a great night of drum corps.

A comment about the Colts colorguard member that does the baton work. He is the US National Champion (more than once), PLUS marches winter guard. This guy also works rifles and flags during the show - he isn't 'just' a baton twirler so to speak. The baton work is being done as a part of a dance duet with a female in the guard, during the ballad "Unexpected Song". Check it out, this is not what anyone would consider typical as far as a baton goes. Personally, with all the things color guards do nowadays, as long as whatever is done with taste, done professionally, and the kids enjoy performing - bring it on.

Blue Knights

4th Score: 65.30

Knight Reign

IMG_0890.JPG

Very interesting start. Almost didn't realize they had started until there was movement in the corps. Very sloppily executed, but obviously, it's only the 2nd show. All of a sudden out of no where, the Contras are bellowing pedal tones and it really gets the crowd excited, very interesting concept. Liked the guard uniforms, very colorful...Blue Knight style all around. This will be one show that can mature, but like MBIBrass said, it's forgettable.

OH! A pic of the new Blue Knights uniform was in here. I had to find a pic of the old one to make sure it was actually different. At first, I thought they had just added some dots to what they had, but no, it is all-new. The blue/black are flip flopped and that folding business on the front is a different shape. So, it's a new design that kind of looks like the old design, but not really + some dots + the shoulder wings have flown away. Pretty sneaky, Blue Knights! :tongue:

Sluggo...you are my HERO!!!!! GREAT shots...thank you so much!!