Blue Knights design and approach

In 2002, I think there was an initiative to right the ship by "returning to the formula." Problem was, the corps didn't have the talent to make it happen. For 2003, I think the corps realized that simplifying a touch and bringing in good, young kids that bought into the program was the right way to get back on track, and that core of members hung in there till they aged out last year.

I really dont think that one can generalize about seasons like that. 2002 talent wasnt the big problem. 2003 young kids where the only ones that the organization could get.

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

my response to the poster that said above......... "to all the fossils that hate change, STFU" :

Havn't read a single poster on this thread or the other thread last night that said on either thread that they were " against change ". You can look, but it's not there.

So, I'm not really sure where you're coming from with your rather intolerant rant.

But if the rant made you feel better, than at least it apparently had some therapeutic value for you.

Edited by BRASSO

To what issue, specifically?

The issue addressed in the block of text I quoted from BRASSO in post 4.

edit: cant type, about to pass out

Edited by Design Hound

I really dont think that one can generalize about seasons like that. 2002 talent wasnt the big problem. 2003 young kids where the only ones that the organization could get.

I can only speak to what I saw from the outside, as I didn't march in 02, but my best observation was that it was a good show design that simply wasn't executed quite well enough to sneak into finals that year.

I personally felt like the amount of challenge should've been weighted against a couple of the corps that did get into the Saturday show in '02, but I would agree with those that would say the 10-12th place corps were cleaner than BK.

I'd absolutely love to hear your perspective on that season, though. I've heard a lot of different accounts of how things went that year, not all of which are the same. I find the dynamics of the organization in 02 and 03 pretty interesting.

The issue addressed in the block of text I quoted from BRASSO in post 4.

edit: cant type, about to pass out

I dont think that a parent and a past 2 year member can speak for the corps.

EDIT: I would like to add that everyone is entitled to their opinion, but please put their view in perspective with their role/involvement in the corps.

Edited by MnM

02s problem stemmed a lot from a rift that was created in the corps during all days as far as the visual program is concerned...

I won't say much more on that, but there were many other factors as well, as Jason said... sorry, 'MnM', it's very difficult to generalize a season such as that.

As for dropping out of finals in 2001, the root of the problem was certainly the show design. After that season, a lot of talented kids went elsewhere. In 2002, I think there was an initiative to right the ship by "returning to the formula." Problem was, the corps didn't have the talent to make it happen. For 2003, I think the corps realized that simplifying a touch and bringing in good, young kids that bought into the program was the right way to get back on track, and that core of members hung in there till they aged out last year.

I think the 2001 season set the corps back several years, competitively, and really derailed a lot of momentum. When the competitive side of things and the business side of things are so closely linked, I believe it negatively affected the organization as a whole, too.

All of that said, could Blue Knights make things easier on themselves, in some respects? Probably, but the culture of the corps is so entrenched in remaining true to their ambitious artistic vision... it's going to be a longer process to make it happen.

Thank you both Keith and Laura for the insight into 2001/2002. This is something I truly didn't know and haven't really talked to Mark about. You mentioned that the competitive and business sides are closely linked. Why is that the case? And should that be the case at all? Maybe I am just reading way too much into that…

Some of the "remaining true to ambitious artistic vision" still smacks a bit of a persecution complex, but I will acquiesce on that. I do have a response to Oouga's earlier post, but it's a bit inside baseball and I want to get it as succinct and clear as possible to avoid any bomb throwing :laughing: .

I dont think that a parent and a past 2 year member can speak for the corps

I do agree with you there, on that parent being an unreliable source on the topic.

02s problem stemmed a lot from a rift that was created in the corps during all days as far as the visual program is concerned...

I won't say much more on that, but there were many other factors as well, as Jason said... sorry, 'MnM', it's very difficult to generalize a season such as that.

Thanks Skinner for ratting me out

Thanks Skinner for ratting me out

Your names in your sig, dude :laughing: