Blue Knights design and approach

With still volunteering quite a bit and being a 4 year vet of BK, I still dont think I have a good insight about what went on or goes on in the corps. Some members were told to not react to the audience adversely because they are young and unexperienced. Other members were mature enough to handle it. Some took to heart that we were the underdog. Others saw us as a top 6 group. There are many perspectives within the group that make a full corps. Please dont peg a corps on a post - most groups are much more than that one perspective.

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

With still volunteering quite a bit and being a 4 year vet of BK, I still dont think I have a good insight about what went on or goes on in the corps. Some members were told to not react to the audience adversely because they are young and unexperienced. Other members were mature enough to handle it. Some took to heart that we were the underdog. Others saw us as a top 6 group. There are many perspectives within the group that make a full corps. Please dont peg a corps on a post - most groups are much more than that one perspective.

You are absolutely correct, sir.

I dont think that a parent and a past 2 year member can speak for the corps

That's a valid point in my view. The former BK performer would have been well advised to perhaps just give his OWN personal opinion that in 2006 when he marched that the BK members actually " loved being booed ". He said " WE " in his comments. Both he and the other BK poster gave the reader the unmistakeable impression that it was the Corps culture of BK of an "audiences don't matter "culture that permeated the Corps and something of pride within both the show designers, staff and performers. All one has to do is read their comments on that thread to naturally come away with that impression.

Edited by BRASSO

my response to the poster that said above......... "to all the fossils that hate change, STFU" :

Haven't read a single poster on this thread or the other thread last night that said on either thread that they were " against change ". You can look, but it's not there.

So, I'm not really sure where you're coming from with your rather intolerant rant.

But if the rant made you feel better, than at least it apparently had some therapeutic value for you.

Not really used to being told I am against change plus that I am fossil, much less following that up with a STFU lol. I hope his keyboard came out of that rant with a minimal amount of damage. Actually in spirit of open communication, come on back and let me know what I need to do to besides sitting up all night behind my computer. Actually thinking about printing this out and taping it next to me on the bus to help with the rough days…… :laughing:

Not really used to being told I am against change plus that I am fossil, much less following that up with a STFU lol. I hope his keyboard came out of that rant with a minimal amount of damage. Actually in spirit of open communication, come on back and let me know what I need to do to besides sitting up all night behind my computer. Actually thinking about printing this out and taping it next to me on the bus to help with the rough days…… :laughing:

It is rather difficult t have a give and take civil discussion on perhaps differing opinions when the other party calls the others " fossils " and then to " STFU ".

Especially when the ranter brings up comments about people's resistance to " change " when no such comments were made on either thread regarding anyone's resistance to " change ".

Oh well. Nothing to get worked up over.... just brings a chuckle.

You mentioned that the competitive and business sides are closely linked. Why is that the case? And should that be the case at all? Maybe I am just reading way too much into that…

It's my observation that competitively successful corps have more opportunities to cash in on support. Higher merchandise sales, more auditionees (bringing in more camp fees), more comprehensive corporate sponsorship deals, etc... that stuff has the potential to go a long way.

Should it be the case that business and competition be linked? Ideally, probably not, but I suspect very few corps are able to completely divide the two facets.

---

For what its worth, these are just my observations. I certainly don't claim to know the complete dynamics of every group, including the one I volunteer for and love so much. I don't have a business degree or a background in non-profit administration... It's just a topic I care deeply about and have a great deal of interest in.

It's my observation that competitively successful corps have more opportunities to cash in on support. Higher merchandise sales, more auditionees (bringing in more camp fees), more comprehensive corporate sponsorship deals, etc... that stuff has the potential to go a long way.

BD doesn't even have camp fees... :laughing:

BD doesn't even have camp fees... :laughing:

It's good for them that they more than make up for it in merchandise sales.

For corps like Blue Knights, they literally couldn't afford to run a camp without collecting fees.

Should it be the case that business and competition be linked? Ideally, probably not, but I suspect very few corps are able to completely divide the two facets.

---

For what its worth, these are just my observations. I certainly don't claim to know the complete dynamics of every group, including the one I volunteer for and love so much. I don't have a business degree or a background in non-profit administration... It's just a topic I care deeply about and have a great deal of interest in.

I am not a business major either, but I actually believe the amount of corps that separate the administrative from the design and tech teams are more numerous than the other way around. On that note, what happened to Kirsten working to get corporate financing a few years ago? I though that was going to bring in more cash and stability.

Edit: I am guessing that is a question more for somebody else and not you Keith.

Edited by traveller30