drum corps color guards for 2008

dugg

let's discuss this seasons talented and hardworking color guards,including their costumes,choreography,staff,design and production values,equipment work,styles and performance qualities,etc.

Edited by dugg

• Replies 151
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'll give my thoughts after next Tuesday's show in Richmond, KY - Cavaliers, blue stars, blue knights, bluecoats, spirit.... should be fun!

• 2 weeks later...

some of my favorites:

the scintillating slaves from central casting [aka the phantom regiment guard] look resplendently golden and lustrously luminous especially after a quick trip to the "i claudius spray tan emporium". :worthy:

crown's guard looks fantastic and by the way i have the complementary italian silk damask drapes and throw pillows that match those jackets! :worthy:

cavaliers guard is serving up an elaborate "dim sum and then some" direct from the ralph macchio collection by michael cessario very "kurosawa-meets-the-karate-kid". :worthy:

the costumes for the madison scouts guard look fabulous....on several of them. :cool:

the blue stars outfits are racy and tight much like MySelf on a saturday night! :omg:

pulling off a combination of raspberry and tangerine sherbert [colors mostly reserved for gay pride parades,ryan seacrest and carmen miranda] is alot like walking a fashion tightrope and working without a net however the blue devils guard does just that,it's terribly unfortunate that the boys shirts have come unbuttoned revealing their young taught muscular washboard stomachs[perhaps they can fix that faux pas by finals]. :sad:

Edited by dugg

Take out the Michael Shapiro comment and we're good to go on this post!

I'm going to the Cadets' show Sat. night (if it doesn't rain like it does everyday anymore around here!) I'll give my POSITIVE comments after!

Planning to attend the San Antonio show on the 19th and hand out some flyers and stuff and take a look at the guards and corps as well! lol.

Hopefully can get good tickets there, as the ones available on website are kind of meh. Anyone have 2 extras? :-)

Edited by ATXguard

Take out the Michael Shapiro comment and we're good to go on this post!

thy will be done..........

:smile:

i assure you no harm was intended and for the record let it be known that i am a huge fan of mr. shapiro [and the jewish deli that bears his name in indy],my posts pertaining to him and his work will confirm this.i thought he might have found it amusing too as i thought my silly joke was funny,insightful and lighthearted,unfortunately you did not :smile: ...... so out of respect and at your behest i have removed the "offending" punchline. :thumbup:

good to go?now let the POSITIVE comments commence.....i'll take care of everything else! :smile:

Edited by dugg

Planning to attend the San Antonio show on the 19th and hand out some flyers and stuff and take a look at the guards and corps as well! lol.

Hopefully can get good tickets there, as the ones available on website are kind of meh. Anyone have 2 extras? :-)

cadets :devil::worthy::worthy::worthy: unbelieveable

BD :devil: ok maybe that was a little harsh but when someone is put in the position of top slots one would think they could be a little more innovative but i seem to always feel that way with same old ( Sorry )

Blue Stars: :lol: Cool stuff but dirty as hell

Spirit :lol::worthy: sorry

Boston :lol: on their i think great start

Glassmen :tongue: .hmmmmmmmmmmmmm reserving an opinion I think. Could hold the corps back personally again i think to much and same ole Im afraid

SCV: :worthy: Would love to see them do well especially since they were ROBBED of that bronze medal at WGI

Cavies :tongue: What can ya say its cavies.........want to see again

Crown :tongue::worthy:

did't get to see some at t he shows I was at

Would love to hear others opinions

Exactly what is same old with BD?

Corps' I have seen thus far:

Blue Stars - LOVE IT! When they start judging color guard again this should help them out a lot. It is amazing stuff out there folks! WOW Michael Shapiro has outdone himself yet again - a simply stunning "team" moment in the opener with silks that are just glorious! Handlebar flags are ok - they do some neat stuff with them. Sabre work in the ballad is INSANE!

Bluecoats - hhmm they have some nice moments, but I have a more enjoyable time watching the brass and percussion section this year. Hopefully that will change around - the guard does some neat stuff with the punching bags. Just dirty.

Blue Knights- HOLY MACKERAL!!! I love this show! Guard is in white (ala 1999, 2000, 2001) and looks radiant. SIlks are to die for!! I almost hurled myself onto the field just to be near the flags.. GORGEOUS! A tad dirty, but I have high hopes they will clean up and be impressive yet again. They are not dancing at the level of previous seasons, but the work they do is musical and certainly makes up for it.

Spirit - blah. They are ok. That's really all I can muster. Costumes are kind of neat - but the 4 girls who hang out on the perimeters of the show should have been put in something less garrish. Silks in this show leave something to be desired. Weapons are well written but sloppy.

Music City Legend - off to a great start! Some VERY musical flag work that is fun to watch. Should do well in Open class finals.

Cavaliers - Very well done. Costuming is fantastic - I can't wait to see their show silks. Brown rifles get lost a bit in the drill, but lend themselves to the theme very nicely. Some great writing this year (as always) and I can't wait to see them tonight in Louisville!

More thoughts after tonights show!

Corps' I have seen thus far:

Blue Stars - LOVE IT! When they start judging color guard again this should help them out a lot.

i beleive that ship has sailed[or bike has left the rack :laughing: ].

the frugal and prudent decision makers at dci began judging this previously superfluous caption on july the 5th in kalamazoo when the judicious debbie "tough as a sunday steak on thursday" torchia had them in 4th with a 15.40 and on the 6th in michigan city where the venerable michael lentz [dir. of the award whining onyx color guards] had them 4th with a 15.70.

a great start to the race!

Edited by dugg