drum corps color guards for 2008

dugg

After watching the San Antonio regional and the Houston show, some comments:

I'll start with the Blues....

Bloooocoats- It's SO obvious the staff are phormer Phantom phriends. The closing silk work from the crutchtip is classic Adam Sage....his kids obviously worship the guru and are passing on the signature look.

Blue Devils- I didn't like this show. Mainly because I was so distracted by the costumes leftover from old "Deelite" videos.

Blue Knights- Ok, I get that they have a "Look" that they stick to. The guard caption's best friend is a painter in the Denver area, thus explaining the fingerpainting year after year. But could you PLEASE put those kids in something flattering?! The previous 2 years were major improvements, then we went right back to the illfitting white uniforms. So sad because I don't see an obesse member in the bunch, but there was muffin tops and rolls all over the place like it was a bakery. So unfortunate as I do think they spin really really well. Design is lacking, movement is phenom.

Blue Stars- I want whatever Shapiro is smoking to come up with these ideas. The handlebar flags are genius! That guard has improved ALOT. Kuddos to Michael and his staff. So musical, so beautiful.

Crown- OMG. period. Great concept, great work. I think the vocab is rediculous and you are not getting the credit from the judges you deserve. Keep it up and I see "Best Guard" in your future.

Crossmen- Respectable performance in San Antonio! Keep cleaning and work on extention with movement. Dig the concept....fun to see how many 'x's are in this show.

Phantom- I'm hoping *fingers crossed* that the "Adam Sage additonal uniform and props" are comming soon. Every year since 05 about this time in the season is when extra bits of flare start showing up. I'm thinking that's why the guard for me wasn't as memorable as the corps was.

Cavies- I don't understand how they are beating crown in content. Aside from that, I like the (I'm sure they are ubber expensive) uniforms and love that they used the traditional style warrior silks in the middle of the show. Other than that, for me it was forgettable.

Vanguard- I don't get the show but they have some beautiful moments. Hot rifle and sabre book.

Glassmen- The only guard that looks like it's literally multiplying during the show. 45 members with balloons everywhere and the gratuitous use of "Breakfast Machine" from Peewee's Big adventure always makes me smile. Dig the uniforms but theres loads to clean. Inconsistant weapons and a bit of a car wash in the flags in finals at San Antonio.

Boston- Love the flags and creative use of those Air Blades.....I'm still unsure about 'em.

Cadets- I wish the corps director thought you guys were doing your job as well as I did. You don't need all that script because the guard is doing a phenominal job getting the point across. Lots of presure April put on that girl to run 40 something yards to catch the sabre on the end.

Just the top 12 for now. I'm sure I've stirred the pot enough. Just opinions ;)

• Replies 151
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

OMG QUICK BEFORE I FORGET EVERYTHING FROM SA

Blue Devils: WOW. an 18.90 that was well deserved. No one is going to come close to their flag line or their sabres.....classic BD style and of course, they were the best dancers of the night.

Carolina Crown took second with an 18.70 and was very deserving of it. Their weapons and performance we great. Not overdone but not boring.

Cavaliers: Same cavaliers as always, impeccable rifle technique but I hate how the flags always take a back seat in the performance.

Cadets: Same old cadets as well, crisp clean technique and fundamentals.

PR: I am not a fan of their weapon style, but the flags have that same airy feel that makes it surreal to watch. I felt they should have been a tad cleaner for the demand they were working with. The swords they spin are dirty dirty dirty.

SCV: If you've seen the winterguard then you know that the kids at scv are powerful performers. No one else comes close to their personal signature of rifle vocabulary

Bluecoats: New staff is good for them. While normally the guard stalls towards the home stretch they are set up for greatness. A bit gimmicky, but non stop spinning is their new friend.

BK: I hated every flag design they had, the abstract art does not help the look of being clean. WHAT I AM ECSTATIC ABOUT IS: THEY SPIN MORE!

The rifles had some really good stuff in there as did the sabres. I am so glad that they are focusing more on spinning and less on dancing.

BAC: They have some really good movers on that guard this year. A few issues with planes and basics that need to get ironed out. Part of that guard is obviously at a different level then the other part. Whoever is writing their movement is a fantastic choreographer. It's not cheap dci dancing, it has substance and dynamics and I loved it.

Blue Stars: Everyone said they looked a little dirty here online, but they must have really cleaned that stuff up. Shapiro all the way...every flag toss you've ever seen at corona was on that field....most of them still dirty but I think if they can push they can really make it happen. The weapons were much improved than last year, expect good things at finals.

Glassmen: I didn't care for it much. They didn't do as much as other guards on the field but their performance quality is good.

Crossmen: THE BIGGEST IMPROVEMENT EVER FROM LAST YEAR. Their finals show was tons better than prelims. The flags are cleaning up nicely, the weapons are consistent. I can't believe how much better they are than last year. It's unreal. The guard integration with the corps is there this year, and there are so many great flag moments. They aren't trying to push the limits more and more like last year which is working to their advantage. They found a good spot for themselves.

Other notes: SOOOOO MANY FLAG DROPS, and there wasn't any wind! Nobody really had a phenomenal run. Overall this is a MUCH better year for guard than last year.

Blue Knights- Ok, I get that they have a "Look" that they stick to. The guard caption's best friend is a painter in the Denver area, thus explaining the fingerpainting year after year. But could you PLEASE put those kids in something flattering?! The previous 2 years were major improvements, then we went right back to the illfitting white uniforms. So sad because I don't see an obesse member in the bunch, but there was muffin tops and rolls all over the place like it was a bakery. So unfortunate as I do think they spin really really well. Design is lacking, movement is phenom.

I'm not sure how I felt about what movement they did do. It didn't seem like there was as much as previous years. And I agree about the unis, they were not good.

great reveiws from mhs mirage and musical spinner!! :thumbup:

your pithy,brutaly honest and informed critique is what i look for in a reveiw,it's much appreciated and i hope you will both continue to write more!

thanks for your contributions! :music:

if it's not to late i would encourage the spirit board of directors to "stop payment" on the check issued to whomever is responsible for the hackneyed,pedestrian and shopworn program design. :tongue:

after snoozing through this 10 minute long sleeping pill no court in the land would rule against them for doing so. :devil:

Edited by dugg

Blue Stars- I want whatever Shapiro is smoking to come up with these ideas. The handlebar flags are genius! That guard has improved ALOT. Kuddos to Michael and his staff. So musical, so beautiful.

I agree they are much improved but the handlebars were dopne back in the early 90's by Allaince of Miami when they di Paradise by the Dashboard light.

I agree they are much improved but the handlebars were done back in the early 90's by Allaince of Miami when they di Paradise by the Dashboard light.

if it's not to late i would encourage the spirit board of directors to "stop payment" on the check issued to whomever is responsible for the hackneyed,pedestrian and shopworn program design. :devil:

after snoozing through this 10 minute long sleeping pill no court in the land would rule against them for doing so. :doh:

You got that 1 right SISTA.............and a good flogging for the guard design staff and the tech staff...gezzzzzz how can you get worse with that show.............go back and LEARN something about cleaning :tongue: