drum corps color guards for 2008

dugg

You got that 1 right SISTA.............and a good flogging for the guard design staff and the tech staff...gezzzzzz how can you get worse with that show.............go back and LEARN something about cleaning :tongue:

Surprisingly, this is the same staff responsible for Northeast Independent (WGI World Class Bronze Medalists in 2008)... I was shocked when I saw their show on Saturday and later heard about some of the rationale for why the show looks the way it does. Very surprised to see this from them.

Hey-- does ANYONE have ANY idea what Madison's guard uniforms are about, and what their show is? I didn't understand how the flag designs and uniforms fit with the show (which I hear is based on Latin Jazz, but only heard one song that was easily identifiable as Latin Jazz).

A comment made to me by a friend: "Is this drum corps or high school marching band? Why do so few of these shows make any sense, and why are so many of these guards NOT trained to know how to do what they're being asked to do?"

• Replies 151
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i love crown's guard and i think it would be fabulous if they won the guard trophy at dci.

a great deal of effect is acheived by their rifle/sabres through high tosses in fact one might argue they rely too much on this device but "mother-of-jefferson davis" what perfect releases,fabulous timing in the air and rock solid catches! :tongue:

Edited by dugg

I like this years crown show as compared to last years for the guard. Last year I felt like they had waaaaaay too many tosses for almost no reason. We have 8 counts what should we do!? TOSS TOSS TOSS.

Surprisingly, this is the same staff responsible for Northeast Independent (WGI World Class Bronze Medalists in 2008)... I was shocked when I saw their show on Saturday and later heard about some of the rationale for why the show looks the way it does. Very surprised to see this from them.

Hey-- does ANYONE have ANY idea what Madison's guard uniforms are about, and what their show is? I didn't understand how the flag designs and uniforms fit with the show (which I hear is based on Latin Jazz, but only heard one song that was easily identifiable as Latin Jazz).

A comment made to me by a friend: "Is this drum corps or high school marching band? Why do so few of these shows make any sense, and why are so many of these guards NOT trained to know how to do what they're being asked to do?"

Not surprised at all.....maybe a closer look is needed...........GO scv ( WINTER )

why are so many of these guards NOT trained to know how to do what they're being asked to do?"

This is such a big problem nowadays from what I can tell. There is too much "DO IT NOW" instead of teaching them some of the

physics and principles behind the equipment. As for performance issues and this well, I am just at a loss.

Definately a call for basics block is in order for MANY guards. I can't tell you how many drops happened, dips not together and just hand placement not together through the Texas leg of the DCI tour.

*clap clap* Death block, NOW!

I was shocked by the number of flag drops, not even on tosses, just bad flubs........it was INSIDE of a giant dome too. The air conditioning wasn't on that high!

Here's how a friend of mine described it: "I see what they're going for - the ol' Latin male-whore-pimp leather-clad character - wife-beater shirt and all - but it's not working."

Not PC, but you get the idea. :tongue:

Here's how a friend of mine described it: "I see what they're going for - the ol' Latin male-whore-pimp leather-clad character - wife-beater shirt and all - but it's not working."

Not PC, but you get the idea. :tongue:

My thoughts: 1) Iron Maiden show? 2) Michael Jackson show? 3) Snakes? 4) I don't get it 5) I hope those pants stay up! Look at all the belts slipping down by their legs, I wonder if someone will fall? 6) I still don't get it.

This is such a big problem nowadays from what I can tell. There is too much "DO IT NOW" instead of teaching them some of the

physics and principles behind the equipment. As for performance issues and this well, I am just at a loss.

You are sooooooo right !!!! and also goes to show you that just because you marched somewhere doesn't mean you can teach.

If you are fortunate as an instructor to have experienced talent for in your group..the higher the level members the easier to teach. Funny how the GODS of this activity get all the credit for teaching and it's really all the ones below them that do the real educating ......Just a thought !!!!