Troon's Mad Town Review

Thank you all for your kind words. To see more of such reviews, please send your checks to "Troon's DCP Commission Foundation," P.O. Box...

Sadly, this is the only show I'll get to this year. Having neither a car nor gas money is the prime reason. I'll try to make QF's at the movies if I can. Haven't checked yet, but if the only theaters in Chicago that are showing it are in the suburbs, I may need a ride.

(Bloody Luddites...)

Thanks for the review. Extremely entertaining this morning.

But you barely hinted at the fact that we were all seated on the WRONG SIDE (east side of the stadium). I've been to a number of shows at Camp Randall and NEVER sat in the East Stands.

And it was somewhat disappointing that there weren't more people there. For a show with 19 corps (almost a quarterfinal size line-up) in Madison (yes, we got out before the riot as well), you would expect more people.

Again, thanks for an entertaining review.

But you barely hinted at the fact that we were all seated on the WRONG SIDE (east side of the stadium). I've been to a number of shows at Camp Randall and NEVER sat in the East Stands.

And it was somewhat disappointing that there weren't more people there. For a show with 19 corps (almost a quarterfinal size line-up) in Madison (yes, we got out before the riot as well), you would expect more people.

Yeah, it was rather surreal sitting on the east side after all these years. And the marketplace felt like a ghost-town compared to the elbow-to-elbow affairs I recall from previous Camp Randall outings. But I thought it was a pretty decent turnout for a June show. Sixty rows is a lot to fill, and it seemed like rows ~15 to 60 were pretty well populated between the 35's.

I did stick around for scores. Madison's placement was a shock, but the reaction seemed subdued. I guess even the Madison crowd has become more accustomed to their placement. Their concert rendition of "Ice Castles" was a nice reminiscence of more heady times, and YNWA sung shoulder to shoulder with alums in attendance was an even nicer reminder that in one form or another, the Madison tradition continues.

Camp Randall, 19 corps, a big friendly crowd, (I had a great time talking with some er, "Legacy" Kilties alums about drum corps back in the day and what they think of it now,) Brandt Crocker, and perfect (albeit fairly windy at first) weather...Drum Corps heaven tonight!

First off, I should apologize for not having a lot to say about the various DCA & Open Class corps I saw. It's not to say they weren't all great performers, but just that I don't have the technical expertise to give much constructive criticism. Certainly glad I got there on time to see them, and a serious kudos to every guard members who successfully caught their equipment before the wind died down with the sunset. As for everyone else, I don't have something deep to say for every caption, just things that stuck out for me.

PIONEER: This was my first chance to see Pioneer live, and now I can say this - if you've never seen this corps and are only guessing at their quality level based on scores and rankings, you are in for a surprise like I was. Pioneer's show had some of the more accessible, catchy music of the evening, and some nifty visual moments too, including an impressive rotating three leafed thingy (No, it wasn't a shamrock!) Unless you're more concerned about the technicalities that judges are watching for, there wasn't much NOT to like about this show. Favorite moment: Ladder on wheels w/ reflective fabric around it blows towards the backfield drum major and stops right at the side of her ladder. The timing couldn't have been better, she was able to roll it back into position on her way to the front of the field. Good call!

WHO MIGHT LIKE THIS SHOW: Iriphiles, Lepheurcans, and fans of the color green.

WHO MIGHT NOT: Those who appreciate a nice blank bass drum head.

TROOPERS: It might not be the year that propels them back into their glorious days of yore, but this is a much better Troopers then I remembered from last year. Was a little confused what staggering around drunk has to do with laying down railroad tracks. Favorite part: The horn line and guard had the audience in the palm of their hand at the end of the ballad. My first major chills moment of the night!

WHO MIGHT LIKE THIS SHOW: Train enthusiasts, drunken train enthusiasts

WHO MIGHT NOT: MADT (Mothers Against Drunk Train-ing)

CROSSMEN: The good news is that the music preview you heard in MIDI form is even better sounding with real life. The bad news is that much like Troop, this isn't the show that's going to rocket them back to where they were 4 or 5 years ago. There's a lot of great stuff happening, but the overall package just wasn't there for me for some reason. What I did enjoy a lot was hearing another dang "Planets" that in fact was anything but another dang "Planets." Enough licks to keep it familiar, but plenty of creativity to make it fresh. Favorite part: "What a Wonderful World," much as expected, rocked out nicely.

WHO MIGHT LIKE THIS SHOW: Fans of the letter X, marching enthusiasts that used to love "The Planets" but are sick of hearing HS bands butcher it.

WHO MIGHT NOT: Hard core Crossmen fans that can't accept the corps without red in the uniform. I can't figure out why it's not there either...

BLUE STARS: LOVED it!!! Watching bikers stretch has never before been as pretty and artful as that intro. (The music helped!) Some of the best full field usage of the night. And boy, did they get creative with that guard equipment! As for the guard uniforms, my intial reaction was thinking "Boy, talk about literal overkill..." but on second thought, they may have stumbled upon something here. Think about it...Clothes designed to wick away moisture when moving that double as dance leotards. Plus protective headgear! Heck, I'd want to wear a helmet if I was tossing a flag or rifle. I think everyone in a ten yard radius would too. Favorite part: I thought the handlebar-flag biking moment deserved some applause, but apparently I was the only one. Awwwwkwarrrrd...

WHO MIGHT LIKE THIS SHOW: The bike mad residents of my hometown, Boulder, CO.

WHO MIGHT NOT: Guys who feel threatened by seeing shaved legs.

MADISON SCOUTS: Just checked the scores, and something tells me there were a lot of very angry Scouts fans tonight...glad I abandoned the stadium before the riot. I, at least would've certainly ranked them above the Troopers, and probably above XMen as well. While I'm sad to report their hornline wasn't the loudest of the evening as we were all hoping, what they lacked in mid-90's volume, they made up for in Bad-A** attitude! This hornline moved around a lot and not just the drill, but plenty of hot dancing as well. Very fast opener. I think that might be part of their problem this year...the drill is good and fast paced, but right now it looks like a little more then they can chew. If it can be cleaned up significantly, things could change near the end of summer, but right now, I'm not so sure. Favorite part: The pit laid down a very mean Latin groove during the percussion feature! They are having way too much fun with all those toys!!! Great to welcome back cymbals as well. Oh yeah, the uniforms? Seriously bad a!

WHO MIGHT LIKE THIS SHOW: Tango, Salsa, & Samba dancers.

WHO MIGHT NOT: Iguanaphobics, Spanish pronunciation challenged show announcers. (Brandt did just fine, of course :)

OVERHEARD IN THE CROWD: "Madison might make it rain...with all that POWER!"

SPIRIT: This show certainly wasn't the only one that had incomplete guard work, but it was a lot more noticeable for Sprit, seeing as we had to watch four prominently featured guard members do nothing but march around to their dots for much of the show. Thematically, think Frameworks meets Four Corners. Favorite part: Their horns sound good this year! They had an exceptionally cool fake out moment when turning from backfield in the beginning. Curious to see what happens with brass judges.

WHO MIGHT LIKE THIS SHOW: Outsiders, perimeter guards, employees of Borders

WHO MIGHT NOT: The In Crowd

OVERHEARD IN THE CROWD FROM MULTIPLE PEOPLE: "Periphery? Periphery? What? Is that a real word?"

GLASSMEN: From the title, I was expecting really cheesy everything. I've got to say though, I was really taken by this show. Sure, they had gags galore with the guard, but it was commited to fully, and the whole thing was performed with a lot of heart. Some of the drill seemed a little cluttered (especially with all the crates left on the field,) and I found it hard to focus with so much going on at times visually. Favorite moment: Fun with balloons! Aww...

WHO MIGHT LIKE THIS SHOW: Eight year old kids, carnies

WHO MIGHT NOT LIKE THIS SHOW: Eight year old kids afraid of clowns. (Kidding, no clowns!)

BLUECOATS: As someone infamously shouted during their '05 snare solo, "OH MY GOD!" Blue was on tonight!!! Talk about communicating with the crowd...I was so entranced by the boxers, I found myself unable to watch the rest of the corps at times. But when I did, boy did I like what I saw. (And HEARD!) You can tell that every part of the picture they're trying to create on the field is in place right now, it's just a matter of cleaning and tweaking. They told their story SO well, if you've got eyeballs and ears, you can figure it out. Intrestingly enough, their announcer had some amp difficulties at the beginning (this seemed to be the only part he was trying to talk for.) Couldn't make out what he was saying at all, and you know what...IT DIDN'T MATTER! How beautiful is that? All I know is that he didn't seem to be shouting "LET'S GET READY TO RUUUUUMMMMBLE!" and that's the only thing I really wanted to hear. Favorite part: I can't pick just one...the bass drum speedbags, the big horns-only chorus of "The Boxer," (followed by some awfully pretty singing!) and every thing their two boxer characters did. From the top of the stadium, it sure didn't look like they were pulling any punches. We weren't only cheering on the corps at the end, we were cheering on him Instant Standing O! Watch for the audience to go nuts over this one in Bloomington!

WHO MIGHT LIKE THIS SHOW: Rocky fans, anyone who feels like punching the bejezus out of someone sometimes.

WHO MIGHT NOT: Ghandi

BOSTON CRUSADERS: I have to confess, this was the first Boston show that really had me excited in quite some time. Never mind the fact that we've heard the Blue Devils (and other corps) use variations of it in warmups a million times, they owned "2001" (Yeah yeah, "Thus Spoke Zabaganushka," whatever.) But the real highlight of the show...Favorite part: BURLY BRAWL!!!! Oh my goodness, this was a fun tune. And speaking of things that corps have done many times before, but Boston still managed to own...the doppler moment is one you've got to hear to beleive!

WHO MIGHT LIKE THIS SHOW: 1930's World's Fair goers, those who think we'll all live on the moon by 1980.

WHO MIGHT NOT: Luddites, Agent Smith(s)

BLUE KNIGHTS: Ok, so I need to admit bias, they are my home team. If you've never quite "gotten" BK's shows, well...this isn't the one that's going to change your mind. And speaking as someone who generally does "get" BK's shows (or at least has convinced himself he does,) this one isn't just out there, it is well beyond the fringe. They've raised their abstract, minimalist music and dancing hornlines by a factor of Weird to the Bizzaro degree. To give you a small idea...it opens with the hornline surrounding the guard in a very tight sphere. They do some dancing as a soprano starts off the first few notes of "Amazing Grace..." followed by a full line contra fart. Being their 50th and all, I'm sort of sure they included a few audio and visual references to shows past, (notably a Trittico lick, and the last four notes of their 2006 show at the very end,) but honestly, there was so much complex strangeness happening, I can't really be sure. Favorite part: No one does a minimalist drum break like BK does a minimalist drum break! Snare solos surrounded by dancers galore.

WHO MIGHT LIKE THIS SHOW: Dada artists, folks who sung along to Star '93.

WHO MIGHT NOT: Vulcans.

CAVALIERS: Have they done it again and produced a seriously sick visual package? Of course! Man oh man...I don't want to give anything away, but the featured guard opening isn't for the faint of heart. All that's missing are the blood packets! Musically, it's really not the most exciting horn book, but all the sweet atmospheric pit stuff happening more then made up for it. You have never heard sounds like this on a field before, I can all but guarantee. Favorite part: There was a relatively brief taiko tease early on, which had me a little sad since I thought that was it. No sir. They went all the way and brought the thunder later in the show.

WHO MIGHT LIKE THIS SHOW: Those who follow the Way of the Warrior

WHO MIGHT NOT: Cowardly Ninjas, duplicitous warlords

OVERHEARD IN THE CROWD (As they entered): "I think they're Cossacks." (We were up pretty high. And she had on very thick glasses;)

ALSO OVERHEARD IN THE CROWD...

Husband: I think they're the Cavaliers.

Wife: Oh, that's why they're green!

CROWN: Wherever the "When did you first realize Crown's brass line was 'for real?' thread went, count me in: Sat, June 28th, 2008. Specifically, they start off with fairly tame little MF prancing stuff, and THEN when they open up quite suddenly....oh wow. They're flying all over the field at high velocity this year, too. Didn't really get their color schemes, between the guard and everyone else, it's an awful lot of brownish. Favorite part: 1812 overture. Good times! Rock that concert bass drum...

WHO MIGHT LIKE THIS SHOW: Anyone that thinks classical music is like, way too long, dude. Why can't they just like, skip to the ending?

WHO MIGHT NOT: Anyone who hates it when classical music ends, and you can like, TOTALLY tell it's the ending!

CADETS: If you saw them last year, and thought, "Wow, what awesome horns, drill, drums & guard! I sure wish the talking wasn't so distracting though..." you are not in for anything remotely different. Could they have told this story without talking? Boy, you better beleive it. Well, maybe not the breast cancer bit, but that's not really the point...I have no doubt it'll get refined some by the end of the season, but I'm not sure if this year's spoken script is three steps forwards, two back compared with last year, or maybe two forwards three back. And to those who see an unholy homosexual conspiracy everywhere...relax, they changed the ending. Now the lead female character finds happiness with THREE women! I'm also counting down the clock for the first lame "I wasn't booing the kids, I was booing breast cancer" excuse post on championship weekend. Favorite part: I tried to snap my fingers to make myself happy, but all I did was break my nail, which flew off and impaled the eye of the baby next to me. (No, not really. Yes, it's very late...)

WHO MIGHT LIKE THIS SHOW: Compulsive finger snappers, Tele Tubbies

WHO MIGHT NOT: NPR's lawyers, Oscar the Grouch, Eyore from Winnie the Pooh

QUICK GENERAL OBSERVATIONS...

- Like Cesario mentions in a Field Pass, most corps really are rediscovering melody! It's quite exciting.

- Lots of pits are becoming increasingly creative. Are amps partially responsible? Discuss...somewhere else.

- You can buy a brat every ten feet, but apparently there isn't a single water fountain on the east side of the stadium. My heartfelt thanks to a compassionate mom working a Capital Sound concessions stand who snuck me a cup of water. Why yes, I do need it to take my medicine...thank you for asking! *Wink wink*....Go Cap Sound!

I appreciate the insight - from on past Boulderite to another- Thanks

TROOPERS: It might not be the year that propels them back into their glorious days of yore, but this is a much better Troopers then I remembered from last year. Was a little confused what staggering around drunk has to do with laying down railroad tracks. Favorite part: The horn line and guard had the audience in the palm of their hand at the end of the ballad. My first major chills moment of the night!

WHO MIGHT LIKE THIS SHOW: Train enthusiasts, drunken train enthusiasts

WHO MIGHT NOT: MADT (Mothers Against Drunk Train-ing)

I was very impressed myself at Racine with the Troopers. Actually bought one of those little "Old Trooper" skulls with the cavalry hat on and donated a some bills into the gas fund. He is staring at me right now. Staggering/RR tracks...tribute to the Irish who built this nation!

Tell your *kilty* friends that MacK told you so!

themadmjr.jpg

BLUECOATS: As someone infamously shouted during their '05 snare solo, "OH MY GOD!" Blue was on tonight!!! Talk about communicating with the crowd...I was so entranced by the boxers, I found myself unable to watch the rest of the corps at times. But when I did, boy did I like what I saw. (And HEARD!) You can tell that every part of the picture they're trying to create on the field is in place right now, it's just a matter of cleaning and tweaking. They told their story SO well, if you've got eyeballs and ears, you can figure it out. Intrestingly enough, their announcer had some amp difficulties at the beginning (this seemed to be the only part he was trying to talk for.) Couldn't make out what he was saying at all, and you know what...IT DIDN'T MATTER! How beautiful is that? All I know is that he didn't seem to be shouting"LET'S GET READY TO RUUUUUMMMMBLE!" and that's the only thing I really wanted to hear. Favorite part: I can't pick just one...the bass drum speedbags, the big horns-only chorus of "The Boxer," (followed by some awfully pretty singing!) and every thing their two boxer characters did. From the top of the stadium, it sure didn't look like they were pulling any punches. We weren't only cheering on the corps at the end, we were cheering on him Instant Standing O! Watch for the audience to go nuts over this one in Bloomington!

WHO MIGHT LIKE THIS SHOW: Rocky fans, anyone who feels like punching the bejezus out of someone sometimes.

WHO MIGHT NOT: Ghandi

They might not be able to say that......Click Here!!!

First off, I should apologize for not having a lot to say about the various DCA & Open Class corps I saw. It's not to say they weren't all great performers, but just that I don't have the technical expertise to give much constructive criticism. Certainly glad I got there on time to see them, and a serious kudos to every guard members who successfully caught their equipment before the wind died down with the sunset. As for everyone else, I don't have something deep to say for every caption, just things that stuck out for me.

Aww... We'd like to hear what you think, anyway...