2008: Worst Drum Corps Year Ever?

• Replies 213
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Is it just me or has the quality of DCI declined significantly in the past two years? To me it doesn't seem to be the level of talent among the members of the corps that is lacking, but in the the designs of the shows themselves. It is especially apparent this year in the top 6 or 7 corps (Cavaliers, Blue Devils, Cadets, etc...). The narration in the Cadets' show is an unmitigated disaster, the level of sophistication in the BD and Cavalier shows is that of a high school marching band. The only two shows I saw with any sort of potential were SCV and Bluecoats, but even their shows have significant design flaws.

Here are a few specific things that I think need to be done in order to reverse this trend of vapidity and save DCI from destroying itself:

- NO MORE AMPS. period. Yes, there have been corps that have used them tastefully, but this narration crap has to end NOW.

- NO MORE MEDLEYS. This is something that only the music arrangers can fix. For once I would like to hear a complete song. Nothing sucks the life out of me more than listening to medleys. A perfect example is the Bluecoats' show this year. There was absolutely no reason in the world to mix in clips of "On The Waterfront" between the Rocky music. Very difficult to listen to and it makes no sense thematically.

- MORE MEMORABLE MUSIC. No more of this arcane and abstract crap that seems to go on forever. Maybe it will impress a bunch of highs choolers, but it's growing old on me. Also, no more shot notes every 5 bars, and no more drum breaks that last forever while the horn line is off in the back corner doing choreography just for the sake of doing choreography. If you pick music that people are familiar with, the will be able to relate to it more. You can still do a lot of crowd pleasing stuff without sacrificing difficulty.

- NO MORE PROPS. They're distracting to look at and they take up too much space on the field that could be used for drill. I have never seen a show where I thought the props enhanced the show in ANY way. If you need props (and narration for that matter) to help the audience understand the theme of your show, it's probably going to be a bad show anyway.

I hope there is someone out there who understands what I'm talking about here. With the exception of one or two shows, I felt 2007 was a bad year for DCI and I didn't think it could get any worse until I saw this year's shows. I know this whole post sounds very negative and pessimistic, and I know there's a whole brigade of pollyannas out there who will disagree with me, but I feel DCI is slowly metastasizing in to some sort of nightmare out of a BOA contest.

What does everyone else think?

I don't normally say many things on the DCP message boards because I mainly just read other peoples opinions and thoughts. I think it's about time we just accept some things how they are. Stating 2008 is the worst Drum Corps year ever is just plain rediculous! I understand that alomost everyone hates narration. I personally hate it too but corps directors have the right to put what they want on the field no matter how much YOU and I hate it. Certain groups are going to use props...in some cases they are useless and add nothing to a show and in others they make it amazing! Every corps is going to make changes and try new things or else we will just get stuck in a boring rut! How would feel if the Blue Devils 2009 show was entitled "Sousa" and all they did was march in a block and play through 3 marches while the guard span 1000 drop spins in a row and then the show ends. Thats what drum corps might be if things never evolved and corps directors and drill designers never tried writing anything new. The day we start making RULES for corps that confine them into a simple box of choices we limit ourselves in what this activity can become. My point...sometimes WE are not going to like when certain corps put QUESTIONABLE ideas onto the field. It may be terrible...like the Cadets narration this year...or it may be pretty cool...like crown putting on a show about horses (in description it sounds stupid...but in real life it was one of the best shows in 2007). Drum Corps is an evolving activity that will continue to put wierd, stupid, amazing, perfect, terrible, quiet, loud, boring, exciting, slow, fast, relentless, terrific, new ideas onto the field each and every year. You can either decide to go with the flow and watch the different ways shows are put into play or you can complain about it and wish drum corps locked itself into a box of rules that make for the "ONLY" way YOU think drum corps should be. Drum Corps is not just for YOU...it is for everyone...and EVERYONE doesn't like all the same things...hence a world where many facets of shows will always exist.

I don't normally say many things on the DCP message boards because I mainly just read other peoples opinions and thoughts. I think it's about time we just accept some things how they are. Stating 2008 is the worst Drum Corps year ever is just plain rediculous! I understand that alomost everyone hates narration. I personally hate it too but corps directors have the right to put what they want on the field no matter how much YOU and I hate it. Certain groups are going to use props...in some cases they are useless and add nothing to a show and in others they make it amazing! Every corps is going to make changes and try new things or else we will just get stuck in a boring rut! How would feel if the Blue Devils 2009 show was entitled "Sousa" and all they did was march in a block and play through 3 marches while the guard span 1000 drop spins in a row and then the show ends. Thats what drum corps might be if things never evolved and corps directors and drill designers never tried writing anything new. The day we start making RULES for corps that confine them into a simple box of choices we limit ourselves in what this activity can become. My point...sometimes WE are not going to like when certain corps put QUESTIONABLE ideas onto the field. It may be terrible...like the Cadets narration this year...or it may be pretty cool...like crown putting on a show about horses (in description it sounds stupid...but in real life it was one of the best shows in 2007). Drum Corps is an evolving activity that will continue to put wierd, stupid, amazing, perfect, terrible, quiet, loud, boring, exciting, slow, fast, relentless, terrific, new ideas onto the field each and every year. You can either decide to go with the flow and watch the different ways shows are put into play or you can complain about it and wish drum corps locked itself into a box of rules that make for the "ONLY" way YOU think drum corps should be. Drum Corps is not just for YOU...it is for everyone...and EVERYONE doesn't like all the same things...hence a world where many facets of shows will always exist.

I like this post.

The original poster is onto something. I think DCI has been lacking the past couple of years in show design as well. All of the shows seem to be the same - there is little variety.

But I disagree in that my disappointment is musical, not visual. Visual design has somewhat reached it's peak...how much more could you do? Props, narrations, and so on will add to variety, but it is the MUSIC that defines the character of a show.

Corps build from their musical selections first, not from a visual idea. Lately too many corps are following the same formulas, the same style of music, and the same arrangements. I hope we can get something going here in the next couple of years. For all the bashing BOA receives on these forums, their innovation has leaped miles ahead of DCI, and it is not just props and vocals.

The day we start making RULES for corps that confine them into a simple box of choices we limit ourselves in what this activity can become.

Word.

Though there are some things that are required in DCI to keep it DCI (Like not having woodwinds on the field...), when it comes down to opinions, I don't think we should have any say over things like that.

If you want to change something so badly that isn't breaking any rules, become a Corps Director.

I'm 19 and I know entertainment when I see it. I really do think corps aren't as entertaining today as they were in the '80s and '90s, and I saw my first live show in 2005. I think lately for the most part, shows are less musically and performance focused, not as musically mature, less accessible and understandable, and overall less entertaining to the viewer, than was the case in 1980s and 1990s. But then again even this year we're getting corps like Blue Stars, Carolina Crown, Boston Crusaders, and Santa Clara Vanguard that bring back some of these ideals I believe in and knock your socks off, so I'm just gonna focus on corps like them. This year seems to be a huge step in the right direction. :thumbup:

You bring up a good point, for me DCI kind of lost me when the focus seemed to shift more to the visual side of things rather than the musical presentation. When you mention shows (music) being less accessible and understandable I agree, but it doesn't have a thing to do with whether or not I've heard the piece before, it's more of an arranging style that at times takes too many liberties with the original composition in the name of creativity. Oh well, to each their own, but I really believe that an original composition was written that way for a reason. Believe me, I didn't have to have to be a fan of Dvorak or have heard his "New World Symphony" before hearing Phantom's version to have the show to make "sense" and be completely blown away. I think of 2000, when BD, Santa Clara and the Cadets all fit that same mold of what I would consider "accessible", along with shows like the Cavies and SCV in 2004. Just a couple examples, but I think you get the picture what type of Drum Corps shows I'm a fan of, unfortunately with DCI I don't get a whole lot of that these days. Now I just sort of pick and choose, Phantom last year is a personal favorite, so any advice on this years shows for a self-proclaimed fan of "accessible" shows would be greatly appreciated.

Edited by RichCranford82

Is it just me or has the quality of DCI declined significantly in the past two years? To me it doesn't seem to be the level of talent among the members of the corps that is lacking, but in the the designs of the shows themselves. It is especially apparent this year in the top 6 or 7 corps (Cavaliers, Blue Devils, Cadets, etc...). The narration in the Cadets' show is an unmitigated disaster, the level of sophistication in the BD and Cavalier shows is that of a high school marching band. The only two shows I saw with any sort of potential were SCV and Bluecoats, but even their shows have significant design flaws.

Here are a few specific things that I think need to be done in order to reverse this trend of vapidity and save DCI from destroying itself:

- NO MORE AMPS. period. Yes, there have been corps that have used them tastefully, but this narration crap has to end NOW.

- NO MORE MEDLEYS. This is something that only the music arrangers can fix. For once I would like to hear a complete song. Nothing sucks the life out of me more than listening to medleys. A perfect example is the Bluecoats' show this year. There was absolutely no reason in the world to mix in clips of "On The Waterfront" between the Rocky music. Very difficult to listen to and it makes no sense thematically.

- MORE MEMORABLE MUSIC. No more of this arcane and abstract crap that seems to go on forever. Maybe it will impress a bunch of highs choolers, but it's growing old on me. Also, no more shot notes every 5 bars, and no more drum breaks that last forever while the horn line is off in the back corner doing choreography just for the sake of doing choreography. If you pick music that people are familiar with, the will be able to relate to it more. You can still do a lot of crowd pleasing stuff without sacrificing difficulty.

- NO MORE PROPS. They're distracting to look at and they take up too much space on the field that could be used for drill. I have never seen a show where I thought the props enhanced the show in ANY way. If you need props (and narration for that matter) to help the audience understand the theme of your show, it's probably going to be a bad show anyway.

I hope there is someone out there who understands what I'm talking about here. With the exception of one or two shows, I felt 2007 was a bad year for DCI and I didn't think it could get any worse until I saw this year's shows. I know this whole post sounds very negative and pessimistic, and I know there's a whole brigade of pollyannas out there who will disagree with me, but I feel DCI is slowly metastasizing in to some sort of nightmare out of a BOA contest.

What does everyone else think?

the kids are fine. props if done well are fine. amping pits fine. it's design.

the kids are fine. props if done well are fine. amping pits fine. it's design.

But the REAL question ......is it BY design ?

And why do you think everyone liked the Crown's show about horses? If I remember correctly, the high point of their show was when they played the William Tell Overture (audience accessible music). So thanks for further proving my point. And yes, I know there were also props in that show...they didn't need them. Just like you thought I was too extreme by saying 2008 is "the worst year ever", I think you went to another extreme to suggest that I think all corps should play Sousa marches. There is so much great music out there that has never been used by DCI. In fact, I think it is MORE innovative to turn songs that we all recognize (and that we would never think to do on the field) into drum corps shows. As far as the rules go...we definately need them or else we are going to wake up one day and see saxophones in DCI which will be the end of the activity as we know it. The problem is that people have forgotten how much outrage there was going into the 2004 season when they allowed amps. People have gotten so used to it that they just sort of shrug it off now. Well, I and a few others on here still haven't forgotten. Frankly, I am insulted when ego maniacs like George Hopkins continue to shove this narration crap down our throats year after year when he KNOWS 90 percent of the fans want the old Cadets back. I think he's just doing it for attention to be honest.

And why do you think everyone liked the Crown's show about horses? If I remember correctly, the high point of their show was when they played the William Tell Overture (audience accessible music). So thanks for further proving my point. And yes, I know there were also props in that show...they didn't need them. Just like you thought I was too extreme by saying 2008 is "the worst year ever", I think you went to another extreme to suggest that I think all corps should play Sousa marches. There is so much great music out there that has never been used by DCI. In fact, I think it is MORE innovative to turn songs that we all recognize (and that we would never think to do on the field) into drum corps shows. As far as the rules go...we definately need them or else we are going to wake up one day and see saxophones in DCI which will be the end of the activity as we know it. The problem is that people have forgotten how much outrage there was going into the 2004 season when they allowed amps. People have gotten so used to it that they just sort of shrug it off now. Well, I and a few others on here still haven't forgotten. Frankly, I am insulted when ego maniacs like George Hopkins continue to shove this narration crap down our throats year after year when he KNOWS 90 percent of the fans want the old Cadets back. I think he's just doing it for attention to be honest.

Ummm.... If you listen to the crowds reaction to Crown last year, there are a ton of "high points". Not just William Tell. And the props DID fit the show and were integrated seamlessly in my opinion. Absolutely needed? Maybe not?

Effective? Yeah, I think so.