Spartans

You should do a little bit better research... you've missed a huge flaw. The Div 2/3 scores in 2000 were inconsistant at best. Spartans, for example, scored a 90.35 two days before they performed in prelims and scored a 80.75. Look into it, friend. You'll see that there were other corps with inconsistant scores. Thankfully, not from my research but just my own observations, it doesn't seem that the judging has been as inconsistant as that. Rock on, Judges!

you insinuating that the judges made a ten point mistake? seems like an awfully large mistake... and with other corps having similar fluxes it rules out a fluke... what about corps that did keep their consistent scores...

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

you insinuating that the judges made a ten point mistake? seems like an awfully large mistake... and with other corps having similar fluxes it rules out a fluke... what about corps that did keep their consistent scores...

Wow. We're going to watch an argument over scores... that happened 8 years ago. Great stuff! Good thing bandwidth is cheap.

I didn't say anything about making a mistake. I am talking about an inconsistancy of interpretation of the judging sheets. It happened and it got fixed. As for corps that got consistant scores all along, that's nearly an irrelevent point. Anyone who takes a multiple choice test (answers of A, B, C or D) can score a 25% on it by just guessing. Now, let me say this... I am NOT saying that these judges knew nothing. They are eventually going to get something consistant. I am only saying that a 10 point drop is not something that should be overlooked. Even if the Spartans did not deserve the 90.35 that they got previously to prelims, that's a massive jump.

Hey Everyone,

Things change. Troopers used to be a finalist and are not now, Blue Stars were, weren't and are again, Madison not a finalist, Glassmen, Bluecoats, Blue Knights and Colts were 20 and 30 something placement corps in the early 80's, Crown was a div III corps in the 90's I think, Cavies and Cadets both didn't make finals in the 70's at different times, Capital Regiment small, big, gone, same with Magic of Orlando, Patriots were Div II/III hot shots and went down and up and out...I could go on forever.

And in all this....judging and scoring is totally irrelevant.

Someone made the comment on one of the early posts about Spartans (if I recall correctly, because I'm too lazy to search and read the post) that Impulse shrank when they went through staff changes that were influenced by the "new" VK coming out...that is incorrect. The new VK coming out had 0% influence on Impulse's situation, a lack of recruiting had an influence on Impulse's situation, Impulse has minor staff changes every year because they are an all volunteer organization (10 years running) and people can only work for free for so long. Not to mention there are 8 corps in southern California now, where there were only 4 when Impulse hit the field in 99 and of those 4, 3 remain. In the following years in So Cal, Esperanza won Div II and they're gone along with Earthquake, Westcoast Sound and San Diego Alliance. Basically San Diego county seems they can't keep a corps running. But I just ran off onto a tangent.....

Things change. Spartans are still on the field and are going through a change and will continue to be a great corps to march with regardless of who is teaching where or what scores the judges give them from one day or year to the next.

Speculation about Spartans current situation is kinda silly. Staff moved, kids followed, corps shrunk, things keep going.

When a restaurant changes it's appearance and menu, clientele changes. It dips and if food and service is really good, it grows again. Same Same.

Honored to share.

Ron

Hey Everyone,

Things change. Troopers used to be a finalist and are not now, Blue Stars were, weren't and are again, Madison not a finalist, Glassmen, Bluecoats, Blue Knights and Colts were 20 and 30 something placement corps in the early 80's, Crown was a div III corps in the 90's I think, Cavies and Cadets both didn't make finals in the 70's at different times, Capital Regiment small, big, gone, same with Magic of Orlando, Patriots were Div II/III hot shots and went down and up and out...I could go on forever.

And in all this....judging and scoring is totally irrelevant.

Someone made the comment on one of the early posts about Spartans (if I recall correctly, because I'm too lazy to search and read the post) that Impulse shrank when they went through staff changes that were influenced by the "new" VK coming out...that is incorrect. The new VK coming out had 0% influence on Impulse's situation, a lack of recruiting had an influence on Impulse's situation, Impulse has minor staff changes every year because they are an all volunteer organization (10 years running) and people can only work for free for so long. Not to mention there are 8 corps in southern California now, where there were only 4 when Impulse hit the field in 99 and of those 4, 3 remain. In the following years in So Cal, Esperanza won Div II and they're gone along with Earthquake, Westcoast Sound and San Diego Alliance. Basically San Diego county seems they can't keep a corps running. But I just ran off onto a tangent.....

Things change. Spartans are still on the field and are going through a change and will continue to be a great corps to march with regardless of who is teaching where or what scores the judges give them from one day or year to the next.

Speculation about Spartans current situation is kinda silly. Staff moved, kids followed, corps shrunk, things keep going.

When a restaurant changes it's appearance and menu, clientele changes. It dips and if food and service is really good, it grows again. Same Same.

Honored to share.

Ron

Here. Here.

Here. Here.

I have always been a huge fan of the Spartans and what they bring to the field every year. i can only wish them the best of luck this season, smaller numbers mean nothing as long as the pride and history is there. The best of luck to the Nashua Spartans this summer! I look forward to the future and what they can bring us for many many years to come!