RIVERSIDE RIVERSIDE RIVERSIDE

I posted this in the West Coast Inflation thread, but it HAS to be said here, too! I had to pay $4.00 for the weakest slushie I ever had. it was advertised as "shave" ice, but it was ground ice! How can they get by with that?!? And you couldn't buy water ANYWHERE! It's 100 degrees Farenheit and no one is selling water. And they have one stinky porta-potty for the whole stadium. So you couldn't buy water and you couldn't give it way. AND the pressbox and "center" seats are like 30 yards off center!! Seriously. The 50 yard line is lined up section Z or something. This was the worstest show ever. I mean really, How can ANYONE take the West Coast seriously if you can't even buy real shave ice?

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Only shaved ice worth speaking of is in Hawaii at Matsumotos :tongue: However, I found the water stand.

The RCC show has kinda gone downhill in recent years because I can remember when there were people everywhere and lots of portapotties...now none of that.

While I agree that brass will be a helpful caption for Academy, right now they're a bit behind the rest in GE, which is where the big points come from when we're back to the full judging slate. I said it after my first read watching Academy on Saturday, and I stand by my opinion--they are a VERY talented group of performers given a difficult but VERY disjointed show to perform. It's going to take extra effort on the part of the performers to sell the show as a concept. Again, this is in NO way trying to disparage the performers--they are already at a strong level and will only get stronger.

i think you are right, it just leaves me feeling uneasy because it pulls you around so much.

I posted this in the West Coast Inflation thread, but it HAS to be said here, too! I had to pay $4.00 for the weakest slushie I ever had. it was advertised as "shave" ice, but it was ground ice! How can they get by with that?!? And you couldn't buy water ANYWHERE! It's 100 degrees Farenheit and no one is selling water. And they have one stinky porta-potty for the whole stadium. So you couldn't buy water and you couldn't give it way. AND the pressbox and "center" seats are like 30 yards off center!! Seriously. The 50 yard line is lined up section Z or something. This was the worstest show ever. I mean really, How can ANYONE take the West Coast seriously if you can't even buy real shave ice?

I greatly appreciated the shaved ice I had...kept me a little cooler while sitting out there at my tent (next to the Xymox booth). And if you used the quality of the concessions to indicate in the west coast should be taken seriouslym, you need to get out more.

The portapot location WAS a touch inconvenient, being behind the BD/SCV/Academy trailers.

As for the stadium...the field was redone in 06 and they did not put the 50 in line with the box as it had been previously...I believe the plans are to raze and rebuild the stands, which should solve that problem, (and it's NOT a DCI issue...it's an RCC one)

You are correct, they plan to raze the stands and rebuild but since RCC decided to go forward with purchasing the DeAnza theatre I think it's called to create a performing arts center, the stadium was put on hold and most likely will be once the performing arts center is refurbished and complete.

To the OP, thanks for posting your thought about the shows. I wish you could have seen us. I am interested in the fans opinion. BTW our score was a 68.000 not 67.00.

About the RCC facility. I have said it ever since they put in the new field. It sux! Until RCC rebuilds the stands and pressbox, DCI should not approve it as a show site. Having the pressbox, and thus the judges, on the 37 yard line is unacceptable for our activity! Either that, or the hosting group should put up some sort of temporary cover for the judges to sit under on the 50 where they should be. Yeah they get the facility cheap, but as the saying goes, you get what you pay for. There are plenty of facilities within 25 miles of RCC that are far better than that stadium.

Here are my random thoughts, as noted from the field. BTW, I will try and get the photos up sometime this week. I had a dumb blunder last night. I leaned my camera with a nice big telephoto lens up against the fence, like I have done countless times. The wait of the lens usually lodges in the chain link fence with no problem. Anyways, the lens fell and jammed the release pin (which releases the lens from the camera mount). It also cracked my lens hood. Lesson of carelessness learned. The camera is in the shop today. Hopefully, will have it back for the Vista (San Diego) show Thursday.

Ok, thoughts on the performances. Seems the volume was muted as compared to the night before at walnut.

I think there were some pretty worn out chops on many of the brass lines. I give Kudos to Mystikal horn players, as they have how many horns? 6? That takes gut and dedication.

Disappointed that there were so many guards with practice blacks on this year.

BD's open belly button male guard uniforms would look very bad on a guy with the slightest bulge in their gut. Very colorful, but none that will surpass Dream's CG uniforms from 2005, I believe.

No amped vocals at all.

VK's drum major gets the coolest way to enter/take the field. I did VK's look. I might like to see just a touch more of red on their uniforms. But I do love those hats with the VK on them. Also, talk about the repoirtoire they are playing. That alone is funny. Going from Thriller into Strangers in the Night.

I love Academy's double-tonguing piece in the middle of the show. They have some really impressive spots and then other spots were they seem lost. This corps will make a run. I do agree about someone saying it is a bit disjointed. An onfield brass judge I think will help them a lot, as I am hearing some great musicality in the brass book.

I love the groovy parts in Vanguard's show. Their hornline sounds really good.

PC is very solid this year and is delivering early on.

Mandarins solid as well. I dunno. I just don't remember details as much from PC's or Mandarins show.

Yamato...really nice to see them on the field after a year off. They are really performing well and the pit members are having a good time.

Mystikal...I really like the color guard feature using the cape/gowns.

Incognito...didn't pay attention, as I was attending to my photography accident at the time.

Dream...Really loved those stretched squeal endings on the solos.

BDB...really nice battery feature. Also have some very nice brass soloists. Really like their music this year. The A corps won't be short on talent. One of the better B corps in recent years.

Impulse...Incomplete. Obviously they are missing parts of their show, as it is very short.

Gold...Really nice to see how this corps is progressing. Between them and Mystikal, they had to be burning up in those black unis, as they were still in the sun and heat of the day.

As for the show site. I am not complaining. It certainly beats the dust bowl days just a few years ago.

Concession lines were very long and bottle water was $2 and not much of it. capucino is the least thing on my mind when it is sunny and 100 out. Need more refreshments. I noticed that the tarp covering the vending machines was ripped off. I don't think I saw an ice cream stand. Wow! that would have made a killer amount of money.

All in all, I am really surprised. It seems this year the shows are not as far along as in recent years.

I think Academy might be last year's Spirit. Remember all the talk about Spirit probably not making Finals. I think Academy has the talent to make finals. Visual is where that will be determined.

BDB is going to have a very strong year. Too bad SCV cadets weren't here to compare.

I thought some shows were a little too bando (some spots in the show).

I always like vanguard's bass drum cadence when they leave the field.

The encore was way too short.