Top 10 Fourth of July parades by USA-today

Congrats to the Pittsfield 4th of July parade committee for being selected as one of the Nations top ten Independence Day Parades!

Excelsior is excited to be in this parade for the fourth year in a row. Thank you for having us!

Your Hometown Parade

One of the 10 Best Parade Venues in the Country!

This article appeared in the Berkshire Eagle on Monday June 30.

Monday, June 30-Berkshire Eagle PITTSFIELD — As the Pittsfield Fourth of July Parade gets ready to step off on Friday, it got a high-profile boost in the pages of USA Today, which listed it among the 10 best parade venues in the country.

"We were thrilled," said Peter M. Marchetti, treasurer and coordinator of this year's parade. "It made us feel great."

In its Friday edition, USA Today asked Steve Schmader, president and CEO of the International Festival and Events Association, to list his favorite 10 parades.

Pittsfield was joined by Washington, D.C., Racine, Wis., Philadelphia, Gatlinburg, Tenn., Balboa Island, Calif., Bristol, R.I., Greeley, Colo., Belton, Texas, and St. Louis.

"Once billed as 'Your Hometown Parade,' " the paper said, "the Pittsfield Fourth of July Parade dates back to 1824, when the procession consisted of Revolutionary War veterans and politicians riding in horse-drawn carriages. Today's modern parade has floats, balloons and marching bands, but still retains the small-town, patriotic flavor of its roots."

USA Today, with a circulation of more than 2.2 million, is the nation's most-read newspaper. The theme of this year's parade is "A World of Music."

here will be 19 marching musical acts, and all 23 floats will play either live or taped music. The six giant helium balloons will likewise have a musical theme, right down to Laa-Laa, the Teletubby.

The parade begins at 10 a.m. Friday and will follow its traditional route, beginning on South Street at the Housatonic Street intersection, proceeding around Park Square, up North Street and ending at Wahconah Park on Wahconah Street.

Here is the link to the orginial story in USA Today

http://www.usatoday.com/travel/destination...y-parades_N.htm

Edited by Excelsior PR Manager

Number 2 on the list (right after Washington D.C.):

Racine Fourth Fest Parade

Racine, Wis.

Located on the shores of Lake Michigan between Milwaukee and Chicago, Racine hosts one of the largest Fourth of July parades in the Midwest. "This 71-year-old parade began as a collaborative effort between corporations and labor unions to set aside 'one day of peace' between workers and management," Schmader says. "With nearly 200 units — equestrian entries, clowns, jugglers, floats, bands, firetrucks, antique cars, dignitaries and more — Racine's parade has grown to become a huge community and family-oriented celebration." racine.wi.net/4th.html

This is the Kilties home town parade. (I've marched it at least 30 times.) It's brutally long, but marching it in a kilt makes it tolerable. It's a 3.5 mile long standing ovation when you march it in a kilt. :rolleyes:

bristol is in there too...long parade. Pittsfield, ugh, 2 of the longest forced marches of my life, but great crowd the whole way thru

(My own honorable mention addition)

St. Peter MN: Marching down a major 6 lane highway that runs along a beautiful main street that has flags on every pole, ending at a huge park with BBQ, concerts, kids games, etc. It takes several hours, includes lots of musical groups including the Govies!

oh yeah-the parade pretty much starts (And for a lot of folks, ends) at Patricks :rolleyes:

Back in the day the night ended with a DCM show and fireworks, you just can't get a more perfect day!

You know, I live in Philadelphia and we have a CRAPPY 4th of July parade!! Never quite understood that.

I had a unique opportunity with my girlfriend last Independence Day. For whatever reason, Bush finished our parades early, so Tiffany and I drove back to Philadelphia. On a lark, I drove to Old City.

We had a pint of Jefferson Ale in the City Tavern and walked into Independence Hall.

Very striking to be in that room on that day.

Hey Bob Never been to Philly... but My hometown has a pretty good one that has been going on for more than 100 years.. Ridgefield Park NJ....Disappointed it didn't make the top ten LOL

I LOVE RIDGEFIELD PARK!!!!!!!!!!!!!

How about Irondequoit (Rochester) New York's July 4th parade:

Prime Time Brass

Mighty St. Joe's alumni

Empire Statesmen

Oh and over in Penfield(another town adjacent to Roch) you got the Hitmen and Crusaders.

God I love WNYS!!

I LOVE RIDGEFIELD PARK!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Thanks Bob...LOL See you in Clifton...

i'm very glad to see Bristol on the list. i miss going there. :thumbup: