Madison Scouts 2002 .....WOW

The 2002 Madison Scouts:

It is hard to imagine that a "bottom of the top twelve" corps could put on a show like this!  WOW !!!!  I do not think this corps was anything close to bad last summer.  It does seem though that many simply accepted that 11th was where they were placed and that was OK.  To think that this group would be 11th place is not OK!  They were as entertaining and professional as many corps hope to be in August.  I heard some rough spots on the March camp recording, but having done this activity for a while, I know what the end of camp in some crappy place can sound like.

Well...this performance In April at their open house was exciting, polished, and nothing short of amazing.  I would challenge any corps to put their April camp on their web site and try to sound this good.  This show delivers everything any hard corp Madison Scouts fan would want and also delivers something new.   They still sound like the Madison Scouts, but with some differences  that I think will continue to make them a favorite but also turn quite a few heads of those who aren't always quick to sing Madison's praises.  

The crowds standing ovations...yes ovations (plural) are certainly a good indication of what will happen this summer.

The on-field warm up is historical yet cool.  Last major chord rocks.

The opener is in you face, yet varied and challenging.  It is Madison at their absolute entertaning, exciting best.  Some very cool horn licks.

The middle section starts with a great baritone solo.  This tune is warm, beautiful, slow and fast, with amazing mallet work and a sensitive, down ending.

The drum solo is very different for Scouts but Scouts at the same time.  Thank God someone still requires their drum line to play  parts that require some kind of chops and also offers several very musical and tasty interludes throughout the show.  Most of which are very symphonic in nature.

The closer is again instantly Madison Scouts at their best.  This tune offers a lot of variety and is very uplifting, but at times a dark and angry, Conquistador feel.

The ending is a well thoughtout series of hits that will get them on their feet.

All sections are "up" from last year and again, it would be hard to imagine anyone sounding better at this time of year.

Few other highlights from Scouts:

Drum Major!!!     I can't belive his energy or presence. He conducts several sections of the show in multiuple meter; one with the left hand while conducting the other with his right.  I do not know how DCI chooses best drum major, but they better be watching this guy.  WOW.

Mellophones!  Melophones!  Mellophones!

these guys can play loud, soft, aggressive, sensitive, and notes and notes and more notes.

Great sopranos as always.

More sensitive moments that will tug at heart strings.

Excited to see this one on the field.  I hear that will also be different yet Scouts.

Royalaires were very cool.  I was very surprised at their size and energy.

Anyone who is so wrapped up in the competition thing to not appreciate this alumni group is missing  the boat.

Pioneer...many seemed missing from the horn line.  Though the horn parts sound very well arranged, the drums seemed to cover them.   I understand th ehorn line is bigger and we can expect quality over quantity this summer.  The show seems well thoughtout and the drummers well trained. I hope them the best.

Big positives for Capitol Sound.  There are in their own right as amazing as Scouts for this time of year. Their corps director is doing a great job.  This group proves that local based corps that limit their travel are a viable option for the activity and should be promoted for those who would better serve their members by doing as Capitol Sound does.  

Great arrangements, horn line and percussion will make some heads turn this summer.

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Royalaires were very cool.  I was very surprised at their size and energy.

Anyone who is so wrapped up in the competition thing to not appreciate this alumni group is missing  the boat.

And anyone not participating with the Royal Airs is missing the boat.

Later...

Jim "Insanity" Schehr

And anyone not participating with the Royal Airs is missing the boat.

Later...

Jim "Insanity" Schehr

There are plenty of boats, Jim.

Some of us prefer sightseeing cruises.  Some of us prefer racing boats.

To each his own, huh?

:)

There are plenty of boats, Jim.

Some of us prefer sightseeing cruises.  Some of us prefer racing boats.

To each his own, huh?

:)

I like most boats, well actually ships.., just as long as I'm not on them...I really get seasick.

Battleships and aircraft carriers are my favorites though!  So much firepower!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I had a great time on Sunday.  It was good to see old Kiltie friends - Frank Schoenbach, Stef Kressaty, Russ Bjork, Bill and Susan Roetzer, The Ericksons, The Fazzaris - sorry if I am leaving any one out.  Look for a more refined Royal Airs as the summer moves along.  Thanks for the support from the entire drum corps community.  I am on my way to Dubuque this weekend for Colt Cadet rehersal - no not me - my 10 year old daughter Kayla.  I guess I should think about moving back to the midwest.  (8-]

I had a great time on Sunday.  It was good to see old Kiltie friends - Frank Schoenbach, Stef Kressaty, Russ Bjork, Bill and Susan Roetzer, The Ericksons, The Fazzaris - sorry if I am leaving any one out.  Look for a more refined Royal Airs as the summer moves along.  Thanks for the support from the entire drum corps community.  I am on my way to Dubuque this weekend for Colt Cadet rehersal - no not me - my 10 year old daughter Kayla.  I guess I should think about moving back to the midwest.  (8-]

That would be AWESOME!!!!!!!!    Pooh back in the midwest, woo hoo!

-Terri

It was great seeing you Pooh!!!!!  But you do look much better in plaid!!  :)

Seriously, like I told you...I miss you man...you're the best!!!!

...and to think I missed all that JAZZ 'cause I had to work..I must of missed the boat.  Carferry that is.

Nice reviews all.

Plaidly,

Aldo  :(