How drum corps has become marching band without you even knowing it&#3

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Yeah, those performers in the '60s and '70s had NOTHING. They totally didn't pave the way for current corps or have amazing chops. Nope...total crap.

(Please, vets, note the sarcasm)

Not only that, there was NEVER any nastiness mentioned between Corps, and everyone always agreed with the judges decisions in the Junior and Senior national competitions, and after the scores were announced everybody from the Corps went out to the parking lot, held hands, embraced one another, and in unison sang kumbaya together.

Criticism in Drum Corps of other Corps, the direction of the activity, judges scores, costs of running corps, etc before the 1990's ?

Never happened.

This criticism in Drum Corps is new. It all started when Al Gore invented the Internet a few years back.

Edited by BRASSO

First of all, I am a former drum corps member, who marched in the late 70s. I am currently in my 24th year as a band director/ composer/ arranger. I have much respect for the drum corps activity of the early days (pre DCI), as well as today. Many of the current designers, instructors, etc. were members of drum corps back in the 70s, 80s, etc. I believe that we need to respect the old drum corps all the way to today. If it hadn't been for the old timers, there wouldn't be an activity today. If it wasn't for today's drum corps, there wouldn't be a future activity for tomorrow's kids. Just my 2 cents worth.

That doesn't even make sense. Do you even know what a crook is?

someone who is confined to a jail cell ?

These days, the few things a drum corps can do that a high school band cannot is play loud and perform a more intricate percussive book and guard book. When Drum Corps became an on the field, competitive art form, the days of bringing in kids from the local area were over. Initially, when there were a lot of corps, they were mainly parade groups, with the competitive groups going in a different direction. Drum Corps for a long time was the hot-bed for programming and design ideas. Now you have drum corps designers, and MANY who are not involved with drum corps, designing and putting the "newer" ideas on the field with high school groups, Drum Corps is now behind the curve a bit. This is not, will not and cannot be the same activity as it was 35 years ago. Like it or not, every art form evolves, so has Drum Corps.

You aren't very good at sensing sarcasm are you?

And yes, I do know what a crook is.

Well considering that crooks were incorporated in the 18th century... it just didn't make sense to me, sarcasm or not.

and HEAVEN FORBID we be capable of playing in different keys!

Edited by baristeve

These days, the few things a drum corps can do that a high school band cannot is play loud and perform a more intricate percussive book and guard book. When Drum Corps became an on the field, competitive art form, the days of bringing in kids from the local area were over. Initially, when there were a lot of corps, they were mainly parade groups, with the competitive groups going in a different direction. Drum Corps for a long time was the hot-bed for programming and design ideas. Now you have drum corps designers, and MANY who are not involved with drum corps, designing and putting the "newer" ideas on the field with high school groups, Drum Corps is now behind the curve a bit. This is not, will not and cannot be the same activity as it was 35 years ago. Like it or not, every art form evolves, so has Drum Corps.

in my opinion, marching band and Drum Corps are morphing.

Marching Band is not the same as it was in the earlier era's either.

There are marching bands to be sure that have not changed their style in many decades. But they seem to be becoming the Marching Band dinosaurs with each passing day. As more and more Marching Bands leave that style behind and adopt the progressive style we see in Drum Corps today.

One can't help but notice the Drum Corps influence on Marching Bands. With nearly every Marching Band one sees these days in parades, competitions, at half time of football games, etc. it is unmistakeable the heavy influence that the Drum Corps movement has had on the Marching Band movement in America.

Edited by BRASSO

Well considering that crooks were incorporated in the 18th century... it just didn't make sense to me, sarcasm or not.

Wikipedia says the first D crooks were added in the 1920s. Wikipedia is never wrong

and HEAVEN FORBID we be capable of playing in different keys!

Are you familiar with the term sarcasm?