So I just watched Cavaliers 2000 again

Ya know, there is this musical thingy related to volume level and it looks like this. FFF. Some people seem to think it's ok to have a hornline that is incapable of reaching FFF, as long as the justification is that they always play musically. Well guess what, when you have numerous other hornlines in DCI playing FFF AND being musical with good tone and what not, it just illustrates that Cavies are missing an important element of music, and really with no excuse.

This illustrates everything that is wrong with the DCI mentality. Cavaliers achieve a full musical package in their brass playing more so, IMO, than any other group (Blue Devils are there, in a different way), and just because they don't blow their brains out like the Cadets or whatever, then they don't succeed. They exhibit a control that is just not found in DCI. I was guilty of being out of control tone wise myself during my marching years, but I wish overplaying wasn't so praised in the activity sometimes.

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I thought Cavaliers 2000 was as close to a perfect show as I have seen. I thought musically it was extremely well written. I don't think I would've changed anything about this show. I always like the Cavaliers arrangements, as there is a wider variance of volumes.

it's just like this year, there isn't as much Triple Forte as some other corps, but the quality of their sound is much better than most of those corps.

This is if you can here 50% of their show over that amped pit. Everyone plays so dark anymore that there basically no overtones going on anymore. Trumpet lines sound puny. Scratch the Bb trumpets and get some D trumpets. You know what is funny is that some people here probably have never played in a major symphonic orchestra. I have never played so loud in my life (even in PR) as I did there trying to balance 100+ string instruments.

The grand experiment is over and the G bugles simply sound better on the field. Music without substantial dynamic contrast is silly; that used to be what set drum corps apart. Don't believe me? Why do some corps have to now tell people what their show is about rather than letting the art speak for itself?

Ya know, there is this musical thingy related to volume level and it looks like this. FFF.

Did you call ?? :tongue:

Well guess what, when you have numerous other hornlines in DCI playing FFF AND being musical with good tone and what not, it just illustrates that Cavies are missing an important element of music, and really with no excuse.

I completely agree..........

They can play however the hell they want, buddy

Yup....they sure can. And I call it "Boring".........

I agree with the original post. When I saw the Cavaliers at Madison this year, I thought they were lacking musical contrasts. The Cadets were much louder yet didn't sound like they were overplaying.

I sat over 30 rows up. During most of the groups, I thought that the pits were too loud in comparison to the brass.

This is if you can here 50% of their show over that amped pit. Everyone plays so dark anymore that there basically no overtones going on anymore. Trumpet lines sound puny. Scratch the Bb trumpets and get some D trumpets. You know what is funny is that some people here probably have never played in a major symphonic orchestra. I have never played so loud in my life (even in PR) as I did there trying to balance 100+ string instruments.

The grand experiment is over and the G bugles simply sound better on the field. Music without substantial dynamic contrast is silly; that used to be what set drum corps apart. Don't believe me? Why do some corps have to now tell people what their show is about rather than letting the art speak for itself?

100 strings? What orchestra were you in :tongue: ?

You are right though, orchestral brass players do have to play loud.......BECAUSE IT'S ONE ON A PART. And christ, listen to some Bernstein recordings, especially him with the NYP I believe playing Bartok's Concerto for Orchestra, some of the brass sounds on that recording are pretty awful.

Edited by spanksregular

I agree with some of what you say. I did play in a symphonic orchestra(although it was a high school, and not a major one) for 3 years as a tubist, and being the only tubist and one of only 4 low brass, sometimes we did have to come up with some extra volume. The key is to do volume with quality. Do Cavaliers achieve this, yes. They just have a program style written so it isn't necessary for 10 minutes of blasting, instead more musicality interwoven with moments of volume.

I also agree that a corps should let the art speak for itself, and there is no need for members on the field to explain what is going on. I also think Cavaliers are one of the finest examples of setting up the music and visual to explain the storyline/theme of the show.

Now, back to the subject of volume, I think no one does volume quite like the Blue Devils. Over the years, they have consistently had the loudest brass lines on the field, as well as an extremely high quality of sound. I sometimes wish that Blue Devils horn staff would work with Phantom for just one season. I can only imagine how wonderful Canon in 03 would have sounded, with the quality volume of Blue Devils, instead of the blasting until intonation method used by Phantom that year. Other corps have had problems with this, but most people on DCP seem to know that Phantom show really well, and would understand what I am talking about.

So I guess overall alot of people would prefer volume over quality of sound, but I really like the combination of both.

They can play however the hell they want, buddy

I can dance ballet however the hell I want. Doesn't mean I'm any good at it.

Ok not trying to say there is nothing good about Cavies hornline but I guess you get my point. Ear splitting hornlines have always been a much loved aspect of drum corps. IMO two different hornlines with all other things equal, and one able push the stands back 5 feet and the other barely able to reach the box, there's just no question as to which is the better playing and better instructed line.

I can dance ballet however the hell I want. Doesn't mean I'm any good at it.

Ok not trying to say there is nothing good about Cavies hornline but I guess you get my point. Ear splitting hornlines have always been a much loved aspect of drum corps. IMO two different hornlines with all other things equal, and one able push the stands back 5 feet and the other barely able to reach the box, there's just no question as to which is the better playing and better instructed line.

I'm sure The Cavaliers have no problem reaching the box. It's just not the style of their instruction, playing, or show.

What's boring to one person is exciting to another. I wouldn't want to go to a show and hear the same kind of playing from each corps. That would get boring. Besides, at least you can't complain about all of the corps sounding like each other now. If the hornline is playing soft and balanced, you'll know it's The Cavaliers. :tongue:

Edit: Oh, and their 2000 show is amazing. Great hornline and percussion!

Edited by IPlayPercussion