So I just watched Cavaliers 2000 again

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

One of the largest differences between Cavaliers 2000 and the modern day brass sound is the fact that the brass staff changed in 2001. I marched in 2000 Cavaliers. We used the philosophy of big sound similar to what the current cadets brass sound is with Gino teaching. Cavaliers changed the approach with the new staff after 2000.

Both approaches produce quality and Cavaliers did fine in 2000 and have been fine with the new style since. Everyone has their favorite method of teaching. I happen to teach similar to how we played in 2000.

Edited by hornline

You are right though, orchestral brass players do have to play loud.......BECAUSE IT'S ONE ON A PART. And christ, listen to some Bernstein recordings, especially him with the NYP I believe playing Bartok's Concerto for Orchestra, some of the brass sounds on that recording are pretty awful.

See, you only point to something bad and not well done like CSO. Those that never push the envelope with dynamic range will NEVER achieve a truly loud or soft sound. Also, there are multiple techniques for teaching brass and not ALL brass have to play the same way. What I see here on the forums lately seem to be a real lack of rounded education when it come to brass sound. Brass lines don't all need to sound like CSO to be good. Take LSO, they don't sound the same, yet they sound wonderful. Take that brass ensemble from New Orleans, technique all over the place yet they sound great.

A GREAT brass player is able to change the way they sound (in a good and pleasing way) given the music they are playing to match what is going on to convey the music to the end person listening. Music with no emotion is simply not acceptable. If you canot feel and play the music as intended you have not been taught properly IMHO. You don't need someone on an amp telling you what you should be thinking about as you listen to music if done properly.

On soapbox: Get rid of the amped pit. It's bad enough the hornlines don't play as loud as they used to why bury the really nice playing going on with 16th note runs from 12-20 people not playing the melody.

This FFF mentality is why many band directors don't support drum corps. Teach the brass players to be musicians first!! Anyone can play loud...not everyone can turn a perfect phrase with balance and blend. What ever the Cavaliers are doing is seems to be working!!

John

This FFF mentality is why many band directors don't support drum corps. Teach the brass players to be musicians first!! Anyone can play loud...not everyone can turn a perfect phrase with balance and blend. What ever the Cavaliers are doing is seems to be working!!

John

Is it? Tell me how playing the same 10-12 minutes of condensed music, marching, for 8 moths is making someone a better musician in the scope of becomming a professional player. For teaching marching band or drum corps I think it's a no brainer, but better musician?

For teaching marching band or drum corps I think it's a no brainer, but better musician?

It teaches you how to practice, so you can then enter rehearsal well prepared. It raises your standards of what you want to achieve with the music that put in front of your face, before it ever gets into an ensemble setting. It teaches you how to maturely react to comments and criticisms... Look at the inverse of your statment though. Does marching drum corps make you a worse musician? I think anytime youre playing youre instrament with quality instruction youre becoming better.

Edited by dandanthebandplayinman

It teaches you how to practice, so you can then enter rehearsal well prepared. It raises your standards of what you want to achieve with the music that put in front of your face, before it ever gets into an ensemble setting. It teaches you how to maturely react to comments and criticisms... Look at the inverse of your statment though. Does marching drum corps make you a worse musician? I think anytime youre playing youre instrament with quality instruction youre becoming better.

No, never, I would not say worse. But, look at the inverse of what you are saying, if one doesn't march drum corps they don't know how to practice or have standards? I am sorry but I can remember almost always having like a day to look at a couple pieces of music and being expected to play it almost to perfection by sight reading in ensemble. Not given 8 months of continuous practicing. I would say that your technique would be great, your appraoch to playing music in a college music program(s) no so good.

I sat over 30 rows up. During most of the groups, I thought that the pits were too loud in comparison to the brass.

30 rows up is nothing, the pit is amped so the sound can reach a extremely high box, like the ones you have in regionals and finals.

Otherwise you would have to have pits with the talent level of Cavies 2000 to project that high.

:laughing: