Empire Statesmen 25th Anniversary All Star Weekend

When we started planning a 25th reunion back in January, we didn't know how many Empire Alumni might want to get involved. We also considered doing some sort of standstill performance, thinking maybe a handful of the legendary soprano soloists might want to "sit in" at the Rochester show.

The ball got rolling, and to quote Allen Buell it ended up being "bigger than we ever dreamed."

For the April "get together" we expected 20 people and we got 190.

For the parades, we expected 10 people and got 40.

For that little "standstill," we expected 10-15 superstars to sit in with the 2008 Statesmen's 56 brass... and we ended up with over 100 brass, 20 snares, and over 20 fabulous color guard All Stars.

The concert last night was typical "Statesmen Style," which in today's language means "Over the top," "Off the hook," "Organized Chaos," and "Controlled Mayhem."

And also in typical Statesmen style, "The Audience Won."

I just want to thank David Bruni, Allen Buell, and Jimmy Steele for asking me to help out.

Stuff like this always comes down to, "I'll do it if _____ is doing it." Well, once word got out that this guy and that guy and that gal and this gal were doing it, it snowballed.

I also want to thank and congratulate the 2008 Empire Statesmen - an amazingly respectful bunch who have taken the history of the corps very seriously, and quickly absorbed all of the "This is how a real Statesmen does it" lessons we bombarded them with (if they didn't love doing parades before, they do now).

Us old guys turned over the car keys last night... and don't worry Mr. B, the Cadillac is in good hands.

Thanks again to all who participated.

Tom Allen

Empire Statesmen Alumnus

Edited by Tom D'Bomb

When we started planning a 25th reunion back in January, we didn't know how many Empire Alumni might want to get involved. We also considered doing some sort of standstill performance, thinking maybe a handful of the legendary soprano soloists might want to "sit in" at the Rochester show.

The ball got rolling, and to quote Allen Buell it ended up being "bigger than we ever dreamed."

For the April "get together" we expected 20 people and we got 190.

For the parades, we expected 10 people and got 40.

For that little "standstill," we expected 10-15 superstars to sit in with the 2008 Statesmen's 56 brass... and we ended up with over 100 brass, 20 snares, and over 20 fabulous color guard All Stars.

The concert last night was typical "Statesmen Style," which in today's language means "Over the top," "Off the hook," "Organized Chaos," and "Controlled Mayhem."

And also in typical Statesmen style, "The Audience Won."

I just want to thank David Bruni, Allen Buell, and Jimmy Steele for asking me to help out.

Stuff like this always comes down to, "I'll do it if _____ is doing it." Well, once word got out that this guy and that guy and that gal and this gal were doing it, it snowballed.

I also want to thank and congratulate the 2008 Empire Statesmen - an amazingly respectful bunch who have taken the history of the corps very seriously, and quickly absorbed all of the "This is how a real Statesmen does it" lessons we bombarded them with (if they didn't love doing parades before, they do now).

Us old guys turned over the car keys last night... and don't worry Mr. B, the Cadillac is in good hands.

Thanks again to all who participated.

Tom Allen

Empire Statesmen Alumnus

Tommy.... You, your wife, your brother and all the rest of the Alumni were great. Thank YOU for your time and all you put into this. You have the history and you always hang on to that. It means a lot. Glad your on board for this special year!!

Congrats to the Statesmen family for what sounded like a great anniversary weekend celebration! The Blue family had one over Big Sounds weekend last year, and it was magical, so I know how it feels. So great that you had the turnout that you did, that you connected members and alumni on the field and that you even got to perform in Watkins Glen! What a weekend. Congrats!

060.jpg

Sorry, everyone did not fit into the picture.

Great time!

I hope we don't have to wait another 25 years to do it again!

Russ

Wow! What a picture... David conducting the All Stars with the Mr. B painting in the background.

Spectacular!

Hopefully there's a Youtube clip out there.

Wow! What a picture... David conducting the All Stars with the Mr. B painting in the background.

Spectacular!

Hopefully there's a Youtube clip out there.

More photos of the "All Stars" will be on the web site soon. Francois is uploading them now!!

http://www.statesmen.org

Personally, July 5th was one of the greatest moments of the 50 plus years I have been in drum corps.

I thank all of the All Stars for making the performance an "over the top" success.

Huge "KUDOS" to the committee whose hard work and effort gave life to the All Star idea.

And to my friend and mentor, Big "V", the man with the vision, the know how and the determination to birth this great organization, The Empire Statesmen.

FilVince_Mick.jpg

Vince and Michele Bruni (1991)

Hey "All-Stars" and attendees of the Preview of Champions,

The evening was great and the All Star performance is something that I will never forget. To see past and current members playing some of the most memorable music from the corps history was incredible.

Many of the people who have shaped the way that I teach and have sculpted who I am today were there that evening. Mr. Bruni and my dad (Bob Steele) were looking down from above with approval for what the corps was, what is has become and what it will become.

Thanks to all that participated and helped out. If you were in the stands and were saying..."I never got any information about this"...it was not done for lack of effort. The committee could only do so much to locate our "All-Stars". PLEASE send your information to esmen@rochester.rr.com or call 585-266-2232. We will put your information on the alumni roster and you to will receive everything.

The thought is to continue this journey into the future. Every year the corps will invite all "All-Stars" to join the corps at the local parades and every 5 years we will do an exhibition at the home show.

Keep your eyes open for a few events for DCA weekend. More details to follow.

Thanks and enjoy the summer.

Jimmy Steele