Phantom Regiment...from a recent convert.

Ok. I was not always a Phantom fan. Some of the shows from around the time I marched (late 90s/early 00s) were simply not that good, and since it wasn't until recently that I saw their late 80s/early 90s shows, I didn't get what the hubbub was all about. In recent years, they've somewhat grown on me (particularly 2006). This year, they are off the charts on my "AWESO-ME-TER." And 27Socal's posts regarding the violence in the show kinda makes me like the show even more.

However, it isn't perfect by any means, and I just wanted to talk about the show (as viewed from the Fancast).

Here are some thoughts...

1. The opening fanfare is very cool, but I wonder if it might not be more effective if they slowed it down just a few clicks?

2. Since the opening form just comes forward and then condenses backward, wouldn't it be cool if instead they did a high-step (in half notes)?

3. I think I get that the next form is supposed to be a Roman regimental helmet. But it looks...um....well....not that great. Hopefully it will start looking better the cleaner it gets, but for some reason, i don't think it is an issue of it being dirty, I think it just won't ever look right.

4. The entire next minute and a half of music/drill = teh awesome.

5. I have no problem with the whole "live or die" thing. I like it. I don't find it too cheesy. In fact, I don't find it cheesy at all.

6. Boy, those white unis are pretty unforgiving when it comes to drill dirt.

7. Some of the drill in the middle of the show meanders a tad. There doesn't seem to be a focal point.

8. The drill during the drum break shoudl be much more impressive.

9. And the Roman helmet is back. Same issue.

10. That "heart" looks nothing like a heart. Can't that can be fixed easily?

11. Goose-stepping armies? More please! This is AWESOME. The music is so perfect here! Kudos to the staff for that stroke of brilliance. And the slaves revolting and getting into a phalanx = Fantabulous. Yum to this whole section.

12. Man, I wish they did more of the second slow tune. I went out and bought the Spartacus CD, and it is not the Adagio I am talking about, but the slow music that happens in the last half of Act I, Scene I. In the show, it is the music after Spartacus is thrown down. In the original, it is cellos (I think?)...and it is just haunting. More of this please?

13. The sword needs to look more like a sword and less like a....well....you know.

14. I am positive that the ending will be changed, but as of right now it is a little unfulfilling.

15. "I am Spartacus" needs to be addressed. Sorry ladies, but....I would leave anyone with a soprano voice out of the chant. Only basses and tenors please.

Your thoughts?

P.S. Just for the heck of it, I also went out and got Alexander North's soundtrack to Spartacus. Man, there is some really good stuff there.

P.S. Just for the heck of it, I also went out and got Alexander North's soundtrack to Spartacus. Man, there is some really good stuff there.

You should listen to the 80 and 81 versions they have done.

You should listen to the 80 and 81 versions they have done.

I'm working my way back through the Fancast videos. Right now I am at 1983, so i am almost there.

Your thoughts?

One must remember to breath slowely when Phantom Phinally gets you.

Let me drink a few pots of coffee and take a few ritalin and I'll try to catch up with you in a month or so.

Man, I'm glad to see anyone turned on by a show but reading that made it feel like all the oxygen was being sucked out of my house.

For some reason as I read your post I was hearing Ron Howard say it almost as fast and as excited as when the Wells Fargo Wagon finally arrived in River City and he got his shiney new cornet so he could play in the River City's boys band.

Are ya pumped up or what ? :laughing:

I agree on you with all of the points you mentioned.

I'd also say that I LOVE the way the chords progress at the ending with the adagio theme I can't wait to hear it live at quarters semis and finals. :laughing: Just hope they do change that ending drill, it is quite bland.

And kudos to the mellophone solo, that guy or gal has some chops, it's BEAUTIFUL.

I think it's a given that the last minute or so will change drastically. I think what they're doing now is a nice homage to the 81-82 corps.

And yes.... I've mentioned this several times.. they've got to fix the "I am Spatracus" chants. They just don't sound like Regiment right now.

Just watched 1982's version of Spartacus.

Wow. That's a horn book. If only they had been doing the type of drill you'd start seeing even just a few years later. I am honestly baffled how that show didn't place higher...I didn't care for Cadets or SCV that year. No one was touching Blue Devils though.

This sort of posthumous corps education is kinda tickling my fancy. I suppose corps will get less and less enjoyable for me as I go further back (I tend to mostly focus on visual matters, music has only recently started becoming more of a focus), but I did enjoy a lot of the 1982 and 1983 productions. And Cadets 1984 was drool worthy. Imagine that...a show that conveyed everything it needed to convey...without narration.

Go figure.

I just watched the webcast from Stanford on the Fan Network. Unfortunately with the tiny screen and the high camera, I was unable to really see the second murder everyone was talking about. I'd like to see this show in person.

My biggest problem was with the guard uniforms. What are they wearing? On the webcast, they looked like a bunch of ghosts moving around the screen. At first I actually thought there was no guard and I was watching on a really old TV set and was seeing TV "ghosts". It looks like some of the guard is wearing something black on their leg(s). So basically all I could see was some black spots and the color of the flags "floating" around. Any thoughts about this?

I just watched the webcast from Stanford on the Fan Network. Unfortunately with the tiny screen and the high camera, I was unable to really see the second murder everyone was talking about. I'd like to see this show in person.

My biggest problem was with the guard uniforms. What are they wearing? On the webcast, they looked like a bunch of ghosts moving around the screen. At first I actually thought there was no guard and I was watching on a really old TV set and was seeing TV "ghosts". It looks like some of the guard is wearing something black on their leg(s). So basically all I could see was some black spots and the color of the flags "floating" around. Any thoughts about this?

My thoughts: I like the idea of slaves in drab brown, but...it doesn't seem to be working like they envisioned. Maybe they need to darken up the brown, or perhaps brighten up the chains or something.