A thread for George

Agreed -- I could just sense some stuff simmering and wanted to head it off before it gained too much momentum, that's all :tongue:

Well if you were worried about me... well.. don't worry. I'm just corn-fuse-igated by FanOTAs logic and was trying to understand before I go DCP and Internetless for the next few days.

Cold Turkey here I come.... :thumbup:

Well if you were worried about me... well.. don't worry. I'm just corn-fuse-igated by FanOTAs logic and was trying to understand before I go DCP and Internetless for the next few days.

Cold Turkey here I come.... :tongue:

Lol...and I just spent 30 seconds figuring out what 'FanOTAs' meant. Maybe i should take a break from here for a few days...I've tried it before- and it does wonders...

naaaaaaaaaaaahhhhhhhhhhhh :thumbup:

:tongue:

Excellent post... I'd also add physical proximity (or lack thereof) to the list of obstacles in presenting this style of theatre to a drum corps audience.

I agree with the previous statements of the noticeable difference in quality between the theatrical elements and the drum corps elements... it's very jarring as a viewer. Feels like a high school play in whirlwind of top-notch entertainment.

Truth be told, I think that the Cadets designers are working with a flawed premise. I think the concept doesn't work (the radio show vehicle), the presentation doesn't work (gulf of quality between the theatre and the drum corps) and the venue doesn't work (as hkhongkong describes).

Sometimes when you have a flawed premise, you don't know until you try, and in those situations, I'll give credit to those who have the stones to try something new. Unfortunately, they haven't learned from the many high school bands who have tried this approach in the last 10-15 years and failed. It seems like in an effort to bring something new to their audience, they've fallen in the same pitfalls that other groups in our cousin activity have already fallen into.

As a spectator, I appreciate the amazing drum corps on the field, and I appreciate the attempt to do something unique, but I can't help but feel that the show as a complete package is irreversibly doomed.

That's true about distance -- on television or on stage, you don't have to squint to see the speaker.

I didn't mention in my original post about how narration and music works on radio -- there's something about disembodied sound that draws you in to what's being said and aids imagination for a pure emotional experience, no matter the context in which you're hearing it. "Embody" the "radio" voices, and you're back to the problems that stage and screen can better solve than a production on a football field.

Good to see this thread up because I had been looking for a place to make some legit comments on the show.

I don't think the narration hurts, but based on the Clifton tape I just don't think it's as well put-together as 2007's show. Usually my mind turns around by mid-season though :thumbup:

My favorite part of the show is the closing statement to the epilogue. It does have some voice but it's the point where the most music is being played. I was listening to the show and throughout the first half just did not hear enough of the corps playing. I think a lot of great stuff is going on visually and the percussion feature is new, different, and good.

However, musically I didn't feel the flow as well as I should. 2007's show had playing and narration put together, and while there was little narration during playing, it had momentum. This show feels like the traditional high school "start and stop", where everything stops musically for a good 30 seconds for the narration to step in. I think the 07 format of jumping in and out, saying a short thing here and there, is better at conveying the effects musically.

I like the idea, I like the more serious subject matter and I think it's different and interesting. YES - less is more here. There are less high-impact brass moments in the first half of the show than there should be.