Brief Drum Corps Grand Prix Review

I agree!!!!! And since you were there to see ALL corps, it would only make sense, than to have a review by anyone who arrived late and left early, or someone that does not include the exhibition corps. We (meaning the Alumni's and Jr. Corps) are part of the show as well!!!

Sorry, I was in NYC yesterday. Just let me get home from work tonight and I'll post my thoughts... (yes, including the exhibition units)

Fran, you did an awesome job at the "Grand Prix" Saturday night. You might not to have gotten to see a whole lot of folks that evening, but you certainly were heard by thousands!!! Again, great job, my friend!!! :thumbup::tongue::tongue:

I totally agree!!! Fran, having you and Barbara there means a lot to all of us. You make the evening even more enjoyable for both the fans and the corps members.

Thanks to all the committee members for your hard work on making the 44th, one to remember..

GO CABS!!!

RUMP :tongue::tongue::tongue:

And the competition corps.... at this show, most of what Barbara and I see and hear are the pit ensembles, which set up directly in front of us.

I will say we very much enjoyed watching those pit ensembles and getting a chance to chat with some of the performers!!!

Would it be possible for you give a brief one-liner for each pit? I'm sure all the pitsters out there would appreciate it! So many reviews neglect that corps section. (although one of these Clifton reviews did say that Reading's pit is on fire- very cool!)

Thanks,

(:

Bush

29brass, 28cg, 8 pit, 5 snares, 2 tenors, 5bds, 4 PLATES, 2dm,

Performing a show of Gypsie music, “Gypsodic” Bush was smaller than in the past several years. Yet the brass charts were highly entertaining and well-suited to the smaller than usual Bush horn line. The battery played with confidence and put forth a very worthy effort. But the story of Bush this year is the large and extremely effective colorguard who always seem to hurling, twirling or tossing a piece of equipment with reckless abandon. The guard also effectively used gymnastics poses in the closer, causing me to wonder how humans can possibly bend like that. All-in-all, a very competent and entertaining show by the Bushwackers.

Thanks for the constructive and positive feedback!! The corps is working REALLY hard to get this bear of a show down and clean for y'all to enjoy! We're filling up the holes faster than you can bat an eye! The brass line is almost full except for a couple of baritones, really, like 1 or 2. We now have 5 tubas (not like the ONE tuba that you all saw at Clifton GO DAVE KAPP!!) The drill's going to be a LOT more readable, the horns louder, the show awesomer. We also have a 6th snare that was in for a couple of songs in Clifton that should have the whole show under his belt by next week if all goes well...the talent we're getting lately is second to none, and I assure you, just like usual, the Bushwackers will make our usual August push, much to the fans delight. :wub:

See you all in Lewisburg!! Woohooooo!!!!!!BUS TRIIIIIP!!!!!

Edited by bumo27

Sorry to all of the exhibition corps that I missed-no disrespect intended. Earlier in the day, it was my turn to support my husband (who attends corps shows with me although he's not really a drum corps nut) at the "Fiat Freakout" in the Poconos, so I consider myself lucky to have seen any of this amazing show. Next show, I intend to see everybody!!!! All the corps I saw made for a fun night and restored my faith in drum corps after having a bad experience with narration the week before.

Thanks for the constructive and positive feedback!! The corps is working REALLY hard to get this bear of a show down and clean for y'all to enjoy! We're filling up the holes faster than you can bat an eye! The brass line is almost full except for a couple of baritones, really, like 1 or 2. We now have 5 tubas (not like the ONE tuba that you all saw at Clifton GO DAVE KAPP!!) The drill's going to be a LOT more readable, the horns louder, the show awesomer. We also have a 6th snare that was in for a couple of songs in Clifton that should have the whole show under his belt by next week if all goes well...the talent we're getting lately is second to none, and I assure you, just like usual, the Bushwackers will make our usual August push, much to the fans delight. :wub:

See you all in Lewisburg!! Woohooooo!!!!!!BUS TRIIIIIP!!!!!

Would it be possible for you give a brief one-liner for each pit? I'm sure all the pitsters out there would appreciate it!

Sure....I'll take a shot at this.

Remember now...I'm not a percussionist. I only play one on TV. :wub:

These might be more than one line long, too:

Raiders: I know I'll tick off the purists here.... but I like the amplification. I think for the Raiders, with a smaller pit ensemble, it helps their pit blend nicely with the brass and field percussion. The Raiders' pit had some very tasty stuff going on.... a nice complement to their music book, for sure.

Fusion Core: My apologies, but I missed most of their performance.

Hurricanes: A young group of performers..... but these guys (and gals) can play a bit, for sure. Musical and well-executed, particularly in the "Hoedown" segment.

Buccaneers: If there are pit ensemble performers out there that are having more fun than those in the Bucs' front ensemble, I haven't seen 'em. These folks are really into what they're doing!

Jami Mills told us (I think at the Bucs indoor show) that the Buccaneers' pit this year is "playing a lot of notes." That's not quite true. They're playing 800 GAZILLION NOTES.... wow!!! And quite well, too. Best pit of the night, IMO.

Empire Statesmen: In true Statesmen tradition, a very musical, "showy" pit this year...very nice stuff going on. These guys and gals are having fun, too.

Bushwackers: I would describe their pit ensemble book this year as understated, yet quite effective. Very much a complement to the corps' music program.

Caballeros: The pit ensemble's work in the "My Spanish Heart" ballad really stood out, for both Barbara and me. Absolutely beautiful... most definitely the "heart and soul" of that tune.

Again my apologies, but I also missed most of Jersey Surf's performance.

Fran

Fran -

Barb's and your collective reactions to our show on Saturday night were yet another reminder of why I'm on year number 7 of an awesome life experience. Not only that, but they completely humbled me.

I'm so glad you two enjoyed our performance.

I know I can speak for the Bucs pit when I say that we had a lot of fun that night performing it.

Thanks again for your flattering words. :wub:

Remember now...I'm not a percussionist. I only play one on TV. :bluedevil:

Fran

he's 100% accurate. I've seen him in the pit, and he's NOT a percussionist. He is however, a threat to anybody within mallet flying distances

:tongue:

Remember now...I'm not a percussionist. I only play one on TV. :tongue:

These might be more than one line long, too:

Cool! Thank you very much for the kind words and feed back! :bluedevil: