Grey Knight/Crusader great passes

I've just learned from one of our fearless leaders in the old Grey Knight Crusaders - John Concannon - that last Friday, long timed Grey Knight from the 50's and Crusader of the mid to late 60's Roy Scranton passed on of Colon Cancer. Roy was a great Bari/contra bass player and was a critical part of Grey Knights from the early 50's through the merge. He was instrumental in helping the merge occur and was thought of very highly by Vince Bruni. He certainly was a key member of the 1965 National Championship Grey Knight Post Crusaders. He was also one of the nicest and most professional guys you could ever meet.

Tom Peashey

1965 Grey Knight Post Crusaders

Roy's passing is very sad news. Roy was a terrific person and a great drum corps performer. I have many fond memories of my time with Roy and The Grey Knights. Roy Scranton was truly the backbone of the corps.

Gary Winkelman

1963-1964 Grey Knights

1965-1968 Grey Knights Post Crusaders

Sorry to hear of Roy's passing. I marched next to Roy in 62 Grey Knights. He had just got back from the Army as I recall. Roy became like a big brother to me that summer. He kept my 16 year old butt in line and made sure I stayed out of trouble.

The ranks are getting pretty thin Peash, we must be getting old...ya think?

I've just learned from one of our fearless leaders in the old Grey Knight Crusaders - John Concannon - that last Friday, long timed Grey Knight from the 50's and Crusader of the mid to late 60's Roy Scranton passed on of Colon Cancer. Roy was a great Bari/contra bass player and was a critical part of Grey Knights from the early 50's through the merge. He was instrumental in helping the merge occur and was thought of very highly by Vince Bruni. He certainly was a key member of the 1965 National Championship Grey Knight Post Crusaders. He was also one of the nicest and most professional guys you could ever meet.

Tom Peashey

1965 Grey Knight Post Crusaders

The Rochester Crusaders send our condolences to the Scranton family. Cancer is a horrible illness.

I haven't had the honor of meeting Roy. But from the Toms writing, he sounds to like a person whom I (and the entire drum corps) would have enjoyed hearing tell his stories of the early days.

David Hobart

-------------------------------

Public Relations

Rochester Crusaders Drum & Bugle Corps

Edited by David Hobart

roy was a great man. very dedicated and loved by all. he will be missed. another loss for the crusaders/ grey knights. may god bless and be with him.

Roy was a prince of a man.

He always had time for everyone, even a 5 year old kid (me) back in 1955.

He was a very close friend of the Martin's and we will miss him.

Now Harvey has someone to play that little baritone with.

God Bless Roy.