Lafayette Review

First, I said in respone to your post "with ALL due respect" and I meant it. And I don't wish you to be anything at all. You wrote a very nice review based on your opinons of each show. That's cool. And you could be right as well. Stars and Gmen could be passed by other corps as we get closer to finals. BUT my point was that ONE show does not change the trend of several shows so far. In all of those shows both Stars and Glassmen have been ahead of the rest of the pack by almost 2 points. Every time the other corps improve so do they. The exception being Knights who jumped big time after the time off they took. Like I said San Antonio will tell us all were everyone is going into the stretch. My issue with your post was making a statement that appears to say after seeing that one show (you could have seen more) Glassmen or anybody could not be in finals based on that performance. YOU might be right but based on ALL the scores so far I don't think so. Earlier in the season alot of people were saying Colts were better than Gmen and they were going to be in finals but that's looking alot less likely now. If you don't like a particular corps show that's fine...we all have that right...but to say one corps will or will not make finals based on opinon and not the facts is not the best one could do. I have never said or will I say that Gmen or anyone else has a lock on finals but I also won't say that a certain corps CAN'T make finals...!

With all due respect, I never said anything of the sort. I said I would be surprised if they made finals. I never said they couldn't or wouldn't. I am basing my opinions based on 2 things, that being the show design and the performance of that design from last night. Based on the so-so design and some performance issues the corps is still struggling with, I see them getting passed. Again, I think GE is usually a good indicator of what the judges are liking, and that combo bodes well for other corps near Glassmen.

Great review.

With all due respect, I never said anything of the sort. I said I would be surprised if they made finals. I never said they couldn't or wouldn't. I am basing my opinions based on 2 things, that being the show design and the performance of that design from last night. Based on the so-so design and some performance issues the corps is still struggling with, I see them getting passed. Again, I think GE is usually a good indicator of what the judges are liking, and that combo bodes well for other corps near Glassmen.

It's hard to write reviews now a days isn't it, just be careful and don't use exclamation points like I did!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:blink: Anyway, great review and I cannot wait to see the San Antonio show to see G-Men, BStars, Colts, Spirit, Crossmen, Madison and Pacific Crest together. It should be a lot of fun.

Wes Perkins

BK '97 '98

Edited by wesleyrp

We were sitting on the top row of the bottom section, so a pretty good vantage point. I really wanted to like the show more than I did. I just think the visual design is a bit lacking. The brass, however, are strong.

The interesting thing is it seems that brass isn't what they are scoring best in at this point...weird.

As a fan of the Colts over the years ( a corps that has made a LEGACY out of circling around the 12th position in August), I think I can say one thing FOR SURE right now. If your favorite corps is sitting in 9th-12th this week, and you are thinking they have a finals position LOCKED UP in any way, OR you are feeling any level of confidence about how your favorite corps is doing with respect to actually landing a spot in finals, you are a fool. In fact, you'd better HOPE that the kids in your favorite corps are not so stupid as to be THAT SMUG. Remember that while you might be sitting in a great position this week, there are about 500 other kids, in other corps, from other cities, who are working RIGHT NOW, diligently, to knock you out of finals. Thats really one of the glorious things about this activity. Nothing is impossible, and nothing is guaranteed till that last week in August is in the history books.

Keep watching. ENJOY the season, and let the cards fall where they may. The next 3 weeks will be a lot of fun no matter how it all turns out!!!

One other thing: How ABSOLUTELY COOL is it to see the Blue Stars kicking butt?? I'm so proud of that organization. While it is clear they are going to give my Colts a lot of headaches in the coming years, it sure is nice to have them back.

Best of luck to the Blue Stars. Lets see them complete the journey back to finals!!!!

As a fan of the Colts over the years ( a corps that has made a LEGACY out of circling around the 12th position in August), I think I can say one thing FOR SURE right now. If your favorite corps is sitting in 9th-12th this week, and you are thinking they have a finals position LOCKED UP in any way, OR you are feeling any level of confidence about how your favorite corps is doing with respect to actually landing a spot in finals, you are a fool. In fact, you'd better HOPE that the kids in your favorite corps are not so stupid as to be THAT SMUG. Remember that while you might be sitting in a great position this week, there are about 500 other kids, in other corps, from other cities, who are working RIGHT NOW, diligently, to knock you out of finals. Thats really one of the glorious things about this activity. Nothing is impossible, and nothing is guaranteed till that last week in August is in the history books.

Keep watching. ENJOY the season, and let the cards fall where they may. The next 3 weeks will be a lot of fun no matter how it all turns out!!!

One other thing: How ABSOLUTELY COOL is it to see the Blue Stars kicking butt?? I'm so proud of that organization. While it is clear they are going to give my Colts a lot of headaches in the coming years, it sure is nice to have them back.

Best of luck to the Blue Stars. Lets see them complete the journey back to finals!!!!

Absolutely agree. Both with Colts and Stars! This will be a shootout at the Bloomington Corral!

Randy has been the visual coordinator since 2005.

"walk him up the stairs"! :tongue:

• 5 years later...

THE GOOD: This show had a great line-up that would have filled any stadium in the Mid-West. Easily, over half the audience were high school bandos, wearing their school band t-shirts. They were very respectful of the performances. I thoroughly enjoyed the corps and got to surprise Jack 1,100 miles away from home!

THE BAD: All tickets were general admission. IIRC, a month before the event you could buy tickets on-line for $20. On the day of the show the local ABC affiliate ran a story, an hour before the start time, saying tickets were $25. At the box office tickets were $32.50 (cash) and $33.50 (card). I'm not complaining about the final price as it was a good line-up but this was a blatant bait and switch. When I got in, I searched high and low for programs for the 3 drum corps virgins I took with me - there were none - that is, I didn't see a single person with a program. The event staff hadn't a clue as to if any were actually printed. Then there was the national anthem with no American Flag in sight - not flying on any of the three staves nor on the screen. The audience was at a loss to find one. Lastly, the usual complaint of outrageous concession pricing ($4 for popcorn!) - soda & hot dogs & burgers priced the same as at the Oil Can.