Favorite Show or Moment Seen LIVE

Watching FN reminds me that most of my show viewing is done via video of finals performances. Was looking up some score archives on corpsreps.com and happened upon some non-finals shows I had seen live and hadn't thought about for years. A flood of memories came back...

Evansville, Aug. 9, 1982 -- Fourteen years old and the first show I ever saw. Blue Devils during their undefeated season, Garfield Cadets breaking 90 for the first time, and Bridgemen just -- being the Bridgemen. I was totally blown away and hooked for life.

DCI Finals Madison 1985 -- Some great shows that I've worn out watching again and again on video, but if you had asked me walking out of the stadium the show that made the biggest impression on me that night was Suncoast Sound -- I wished "Midnight in Miami" would never end.

Preview of Champions, Madison, July 27, 1991 -- Was supposed to go to this show with my college girlfriend but we had broken up just weeks before, and went alone. After SCV's ballad during the "Miss Saigon" show, I was crying real tears.

I could go on and on -- curious to hear other favorite moments and times from shows seen IN PERSON.

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Albuquerque, NM, 2007.

Crazy wind gusts there that night. Most corps pulled their walls out of their shows, and i know blue stars marched without helmets\plumes. Everyone hyped the crazy environment, and i felt more energy than any show of the season from almost every corps that night.

Dekalb, IL 2003. The last big DCM show, the only one i made it to, as i didnt know what dci really was before that. DCM is gone... why cant dci bring back a show at this stadium?

And, of course, Madison 06. My ageout.

June 28, 2000 - Duncan SC

I saw the Cadets show for the first time that summer. I had never seen anything like it. The "REGIMENTED" "MILITARY" Cadets broke it down and got fun....wow. They blew me away.

Nightbeat 2002 in Charlotte - Cadets brought the house down with BWBB. Amazing sound and great audience reaction.

Finals 2003 - The Phantom Regiment experience....that whole show was just wow to me.

...oh and how can i forget. Finals 1997 Orlando - Madison Scouts!!!!!!! That was enough to make me say finally...."Hey i'm gonna do this"

Edited by DCImonkey

Nightbeat 2002 in Charlotte - Cadets brought the house down with BWBB. Amazing sound and great audience reaction.

Finals 2003 - The Phantom Regiment experience....that whole show was just wow to me.

Yep, those two and Madison 2001 at NightBEAT. The beginning of that show made me a drum corps fan for life.

I'm not sure why, but this one always stood out for me:

DCI 1982 (Montreal).

The Rivermen were using our practice field (the parking lot in tha back of a mall). We had a parade to do that day - and came back to our rehearsal field to watch them rehearse.

I was so impressed by the Rivermen (They played Twilight Zone that year) that day - and it always stuck in my head.

Other favorites

Phantom 1982 - they took the field while playing and marching their warm up - then they launched into Spartacus and I was sold

Cavaliers - 1981 - that's the year I fell in love with them at DCI and decided that one day I would march there (note that they were a bottom 10 to 12 finalist in those days - but I loved them).

Phantom 1996 - DCI from quarters to finals - this show just transformed into something incredible

Les Étoiles 1996 - Div II finals - they were just on fire that night, and we were just glad that we had made finals - never thought we'd end up winning it :ph34r:

Later,

Mike

I'll play along. I've got a LOT of great memories from the 80s. I'll start off with a couple that first come to mind.

1982 US Open Finals in Columbus, Ohio - Phantom Regiment - Spartacus

The opening fanfare. I hope this year can live up to it, I've been waiting for them to do this show again since that very night. TONIGHT I will find out in San Antonio.

1984 DCI Finals - Georgia Tech stadium -

Suncoast Sound. Aquarius, the ballad and the war memorial - the balloon. wow. Great moment.

Garfield - West side Story - the z-pull. 'nuff said. Drum corps has never been the same... in a good way...

1985 Erie PA - SCV, Changing pants in the tunnel during that tenor break. Awesome.

1986 DCI Finals - Camp Randall - Blue Devils. Channel One Suite. Most powerful show ever.

1987 DCI Finals - Camp Randall - Bluecoats- My first night in the big show.

Garfields dissolving company front. Appalachian Spring. Incredible.

1988 - DCI Finals at Arrowhead - Madison Scouts. Malaquena.

Also, Devils were amazing that year too. I had a bootleg recording of them from Bloomington mid-season and wow. The "feel good" show of that season for me.

those are just a few of my favorites.

1974, Ithica NY, DCI Finals.

We came in 9th that year, so we were able to go into the top of the stands and watch the rest of finals. After the "pep talk" we went into the stands and saw:

Kilties

Troopers

Muchachos

Kingsmen

Madison

Santa Clara

1974 was one of the "defining" years for the "signature music" that has dominated the activity ... it was amazing to see the Kilties, the Troopers Sunburst, Jeff Kivet playing his perfect Muchacho's solo, Chris Metzger, likewise, for Madison, Kingsmen's Mambo and, of course, SCV's Bottle Dance.

Now THAT was a defining year in Drum Corps history!

I would have to say my absolute favorite "wow" moment would be in 1998, after the then Cadets of Bergen County had just won finals. They took the field for their encore, which was a full show...marching with the colorguard and all. I was fortunate enough to be able to get out of the stands and stand on side 2 35 yardline, on the sideline. My first DCI Championships. Seeing them and hearing them right in front of me was extremely inspiring. What a great show!

Maybe not the absolute favorite moment, but a good one nevertheless.....

In 1977 an unknown corps named Spirit of Atlanta beat us by one place in DCI prelims (they were 23rd we were 24th) and we all thought that's pretty good for a first year corps. The following year (I was still with Wausau) I was at finals and hadn't heard them all year and was kind of curious how they had progressed. Their show was going "nicely" at first and them...OMG!!! the hornline just EXPLODED!! Although they would get even louder the next few years, I still remember that.

One major disadvantage to being at the top of the food chain when you're competing is never seeing your competition, but there WAS one fab memory from 84 Whitewater.

The performance order for prelims was crazy...we went on and had enough time to shower and change into civvies to get up into the stands...I managed to catch Madison's closer....the push from "Cats" parted my hair....my GOD they were loud!! :lookaround:

Post DCI...to many to name.