Favorite Show or Moment Seen LIVE

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

"Magic Moments":

Several come to mind: Possibly "The Moment" was back in 1968 at CYO Nationals. Casper Troopers incredible performance, possibly (In our opinion any way) the best of their history.

A very close second, (Which didn't "Win", although we still think they should have) was the 1964 World Open performance of the St. Kevin Emerald Knights.

There are many more... :lookaround:

Elphaba

Phantom 06 at Finals. I was sitting on the first level on the 50. They opened up a can of whoop ### sound in my face and it was awesome.

Cadets 06- Even though not alot of people liked their show, I loved the ballad, especially when the drumline went into double time while everyone else was in single.

Cadets 07- First reaction at First Beat: OH MY GOD THEIR LOUD!! I CAN FEEL THE CONCRETE SHAKE!!

Sticking with the ‘not necessarily finals’ theme:

Dolton, IL, 1980 - First time I saw Spirit of Atlanta - one of their first shows after the accident in which they lost Jim Ott. What's this? Opening with a soprano solo? I don't know about that. Then the rest of the horn line came in...

Ankeny, Iowa, 1984 - Santa Clara, "The Tenderland", company front... 'nuf said

Bloomington, IN, 1989 - First time seeing Blue Devils playing their ballad 'If We Were in Love'. The tune, the guard, the brilliantly simple drill, the soloists... The crowd went nuts, everyone was standing and cheering. I was simply too stunned to move.

Indy, 2005 - Phantom unveils their midseason amendments to the Gershwin show...

Edited by Willie85

Ankeny, Iowa, 1984 – Santa Clara, “The Tenderland”, company front …’nuf said

Oh my God, YES!!!!! My fave all-time push! I was SO bummed when Key took it out of "Vanguardian Sketches" for the BD/SCV alum corps last year.

As someone said at finals right before the last chord "Oh....f### yeah!"

1975 US Open in Marion, Ohio. The Madison Scouts were amazing.

Hey I was at that show! The marching band I was in had to perform an exhibition show immediatedly after the scouts went on. I hope we weren't too much of a letdown (but I know we were). Fortunately I was 16 years old and didn't know any better... :lookaround:

---t

1976: listening to the Madison horn line playing "Slaughter on Tenth Avenue" ON PAVEMENT!

1976: listening to the Blue Stars vets playng First Federal March inside a school classroom!

1974: Muchachos in Ithaca

2008: Blue Stars' warmup - maybe the most beautiful thing ever brought to the field

1973 (I believe): Kingsmen's coordinated "mosquito slap" in Whitewater

Edited by KeyboardGuy

WAY too many to remember, but I'll give it a shot.

1966 VFW Nationals - My first nationals as a snot-nosed, 15 year old band kid. The show was held at Roosevelt Stadium in Jersey, a baseball field. We sat in the right field bleachers. My memories were (1) I. C. Reverie's sit down strike and (2) the crowd rising and cheering as the Troopers went from the zero to the 50 in a company front in their opener.

1970 Ranger Show, Milwaukee, WI - I was there when SCV knocked off the Troopers. The score that shocked the world!

1973 DCI Prelims - A loud thunderclap goes off just west of the stadium as the Stockton Commodores start their show. A judge tries to waive them off the field, but the corps keeps on coming. Crowd goes crazy! Then they play a concert of Rainy Days and Mondays. Cle-ver!!

1974 DCI Finals - Who changed into those Muchachos uniforms? That wasn't the corps I saw in prelims.

1975 US Open - Etobicoke is warming up to Send in the Clowns facing backside while a fan warms up the crowd while running around the track waiving a Canadian flag. Gave me chills. Then the corps turned around a seemingly RAN through Swan Lake. Also at this show, hearing the voiced inhalation of Madison's horn line before the opening of Slaughter.

1976 DCI Midwest - This one is weird. The Racine Kilties were on a treadmill to nowhere that season, but at Midwest Prelims they marched a very clean first half of their show. Then, they and "Fat Tom" Meredith cranked during ELP's Rollover Beethoven, and the crowd really warmed up to them. The corps fed off that and really performed the heck out of Don't You Worry 'Bout a Thing. By the time they were done, most of the stadium was jumping up and down and cheering for them. They kept it right up through the end of Syne. What a connection to a crowd! That was the coolest 63 performance I ever saw.

1977 DCI Midwest - Took younger brother Mike to his first show at Whitewater with my other brother. We watched Garfield do a run through on a field marked out of a parking lot that adjoined a dorm. With the wall there catching the sound, it was deafening. We boosted Mike onto this overhang over one of the doors so he could have an elevated look at the corps. That did it - he was hooked.

1977 DCI Prelims, Boulder, CO - Somewhat similar to my 1976 Kiltie experience, but involving a different corps, the Boston Crusaders. First day of prelims. It was muggy, and most of the fans and corps seemed to reflect the weather until Boston enters the field. They just exploded at the start with a Shostokovitch #5, which REALLY woke up the crowd. Had a solid first half of the show, and then really grabbed the heartstrings of the crowd after their concert with Hava Nagila. By the time they hit the opening fanfare to Conquest, most of the crowd was statnding and going crazy. The other day, their performance was played on Diceman Radio. It wasn't just the foggy lenses of my memory - those guys were GOOD!

1978 Pioneer Show (or maybe it was Big V) at South Stadium, Milwaukee. Brother Mike debuts as a 15 year old member of the Kilties rifle line. No drops that night. You're darned right I was proud!

2001 Pioneer Show, Waukesha, WI - Just as Madison starts their show, a cloudburst erupts. The corps continues their performance, and waterlogged fans go nuts. I still rmember horn players trying to wipe the water off their glasses.

2003 in a parking lot after DCA Finals - A Cavie alumnus offers Lee R. a check for several hundred if the corps will circle up and "blow his face" off. Always an enterprising soul, Lee takes him up on his offer, and the corps finds an office building up the road with a yard in front. The whole corps circles up, and brother Mike (the same one as 1977) and I are allowed in the circle along with the Cavie alumnus. Russian Christmas Music was a-m-a-z-i-n-g!

There's more, but that's enough for now!

Edited by Jim Anello