Favorite Show or Moment Seen LIVE

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Precision West 2007, Vanguard's big hit at the beginning. I could feel everyone around me jump, and gasps that quickly turned into cheering ensued. It was beautiful.

2004 Murfreesboro- It was only my second show ever and my first time to see BD. My mom and I walked into the stadium as the Devils were finishing up a clinic and decided to a run through. The solo in the middle of the opener blew me away. It did the same during the actual performance and the encore.

July 24, 1982 - the Phantom/Madison runoff after the DCM Finals tie between the two corps. The crowd and the corps were on fire.

I still think the 1981 finals show of Spartacus by the Phantom Regiment is one of the great drum corps moments. In my opinion, they won the crowd that night with an incredible performance. Very unexpected.

1990 Cadets. My first show (and first intro to DCI) was a small show near Columbia, SC. The only other top 12 corps was Spirit, and I think they placed 11 at finals. After they performed, I thought, that was pretty cool. But $15 a ticket, really?

Then the cadets raced through Candide, the guard killed the rifle tosses, and the Z-pull at the end of the show (with a trick that was still amazing even without the frame of reference). I had never seen drill as more than a way to walk from picture to picture.

I had pulled a muscle in my back a week earlier, and I laughed so hard at the end of the show that I pulled the muscle again. I was hooked.

Every single show in quarters, semis and finals in Orlando, 2003. My daughter turned 18 and graduated high school that year and for a very special treat I took her to finals for the week.

Sadly, what I thought would be her first of many finals, since she was as avid a drum corps fan as I am, it was to be her one and only, since we lost her to cancer in 2006. Maybe that's why that whole week of finals is my most memorable of any live show ever.

1988 Devils at Allentown, amazing.

1992 Star, Butler, PA... there was a tornado warning, and they played anyway

1993 Star, DCI north at Rich Stadium... the show for how shocking it was, and the encore was even better

1994 Devils, Boston finals.... even though it didn't help the video, the fog that night gave a surreal quality to that show

1995 Scouts at Allentown. 'nuff said.

1999 Devils at Allentown... watching their horns and drums in the afternoon was every bit as entertaining as their show that night

My standout "cool" moments -

1996 - Killeen, TX - my first live show (watched videos looong before that) - Phantom's triangle poles - the whole crowd started cheering when they tossed them the first time.

2000 - San Antonio, TX - The Cadets' encore performance - they played just the drum solo from their show. I was on the upper deck, and as soon as they started the heartbeat sounds there was a mass rush as everybody up there ran down the steps and crowded in the first two rows.

2001 - San Antonio, TX - Blue Devils played the loudest sounds I've ever heard live from a corps, at the end of I've Got Rhythm / Fascinating Rhythm with the drum rack - it was so loud that you couldn't actually hear the music - it was a solid wall of distortion that lasted until the song ended. Absolutely amazing, and I've never heard anything like it since.

2003 - Leander, TX - with the ... assistance... of someone with a press pass, I got to hear Phantom's entire encore from the track, dead center. Probably my favorite moment of all.

Mike

'06 finals retreat, Phantom Regiment's mini concert. Don't know if it was just for them or for The Cavaliers....I'd like to think it was for The Cavaliers, since thats what made it so awesome. Being on the field recieving that concert was pretty cool moment. If it wasn't for The Cavaliers...then it was still cool to chill and listen to some tunes for a while.

• 4 weeks later...

(Trying to revive this thread)

1.) Spartacus '08 finals night. The energy in the stadium was awesome both from the corps and the fans.

2.) 2004 SCV. Great show concept and the horn line was one of the loudest I have heard.

3.) 2002 Cavies. Watching the drill for the first time was mind boggling.

4.) 2002 Phantom Regiment. One of the first shows I have ever seen live and is still one of my favorites